Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often should one clean their pistols?

How often should one clean their pistols?

My usual routine is to clean and lube after each range session. Usually fire 300 rds thru my carry pistol (Glock 19), during these. Todd goes thousands of rds before cleaning, during his endurance tests. Is there a recommended standard for this?

My practice pistol gets a brief wipe down and lube about every 3000 rounds or when it gets sluggish. My carry pistol generally remains reasonably cleaned and lubed...

I have a little over 9500 rounds through my P30 and only cleaned 20 times. Gun is still rocking.

My Glock 19 Gen 4 is going through the 2000 round challenge so obviously it's going to stay dirty for some time.

Just before the Sergeant says we're having a weapon's inspection? Otherwise why bother??

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    You have to clean guns now? Huh...

The practice guns in my range bag (a 22/45, an LTC9, a K-22, and a Model 64) get cleaned about once a quarter, whether they need it or not.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I clean our Glocks every July, whether they need it or not.

Site Supporter
    At a minimum, I like to clean the the Glock striker and striker safety every 2000 rounds.

When the plunger gets too dirty, it gets a bit sluggish, which increases the peening from the striker.

I clean my practice M&P in the 2000-2500 round window.

I re-lube my carry gun about once every three months, and fire a few carry rounds through it once a month (generally a bill drill, or 5 to a 3x5. This is done from concealment, cold, as soon as I get to the range).
    Last edited by JDM; 12-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

I always do an initial cleaning when I get the weapon and then usually after 2000 rounds. I do wipe them down after each range session with a silicone cloth.

What is this "cleaning" you speak of?

I clean my Glocks and ARs when they get dirty enough that they start to soil people's clothing when the gun is used, or if I get caught in a downpour/wade a creek/etc. and feel like the gun needs it.

User Tag List