Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Area 1 WTF! Some people need retraining. Serious safety screw up

Let's give some credit to the shooter who did not fire a round once he saw a person down range. A shoot or no shoot decision still has to be made by each and every one of us when we are the shooter.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Same thing happened in Area 2, Lake Havasu Arizona a few years back

Last edited by eb07; 04-04-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post

That one looks like an RSO problem. I think, at least from this MMQ chair.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post

I remember seeing that one and thinking how the eff did that guy get so lucky that not one round shot through and nailed him DRT
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

OK I get it now, the shooter had already engaged those targets earlier and decided to backtrack and reengage the missed targets. The last guy was following an already agreed upon procedure to reset and paste targets already engaged and behind the shooter. Unfortunately that procedure went out the door when the shooter decided to retreat and reengage said targets. It's a bad procedure. Everyone should stay at the back of the bay with exception of the 2 RO's until the stage is complete and the shooter has holstered his weapon. There should be no exceptions to that, mitigating the chance of something like this happening.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I've had instances where something like this has happened on stages I'm running. The COF has targets arrayed out across a wide expanse so the shooter is engaging targets closer to the 180 than on a simpler stage. While the RO is busy focusing on issuing the shooter commands someone from behind wanders closer to the 180 for a better view/pic.

Regardless of the 180 rule it's unsafe and something I've gotten more savvy toward with experience to warn spectators about and designate a safe spectating area.

Name:  Screenshot (20).jpg
Views: 354
Size:  47.4 KB

Here you can see the blue barrels the guy was hiding behind and got caught off guard when the shooter backtracked. Was he heading out to re-set the swinger and poppers but couldn't see the shooter because of the banner (I don't care for solid walls at all)? I could see mistaking the cessation of gun fire as the shooter making clear and the guy walking that way but still behind the shooter as (he thinks) the shooter is showing clear.

Name:  Screenshot (19).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot (21).jpg
Views: 380
Size:  45.7 KB

After more time to chew on this my take is it's less of a "who's responsible for this shit show" than an opportunity to learn from a compounding of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    OK I get it now, the shooter had already engaged those targets earlier and decided to backtrack and reengage the missed targets. The last guy was following an already agreed upon procedure to reset and paste targets already engaged and behind the shooter.... Everyone should stay at the back of the bay with exception of the 2 RO's until the stage is complete and the shooter has holstered his weapon. There should be no exceptions to that, mitigating the chance of something like this happening.
    Close, but not quite. The guy seen near the barrels was in fact one of the stage RO's, not a squad dude resetting. I suspect he had become complacent with how everyone shot that particular stage, and got farther forward than he was supposed to in hopes of of speeding things along.
    TY83544

The Havasu deal was truely scary, and it is miracle that did not turn out to be a tragedy.

In the Area 1 instance, the shooter did something unanticipated, and the squad appeared to immediately recognize it and call out loudly. I see far worse nearly every time there are other shooters at the range I frequent.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    I've had instances where something like this has happened on stages I'm running. The COF has targets arrayed out across a wide expanse so the shooter is engaging targets closer to the 180 than on a simpler stage. While the RO is busy focusing on issuing the shooter commands someone from behind wanders closer to the 180 for a better view/pic.

Regardless of the 180 rule it's unsafe and something I've gotten more savvy toward with experience to warn spectators about and designate a safe spectating area.
    I've been on that particular stage, and I believe you are being misled regarding the safety of the photographer shown. If you look, you can see that she is nearly at the back of the bay. As has already been mentioned, the wide angle of the GoPro does not allow one to accurately judge angles and distances, so you'll have to take my word for it that a shooter would have to significantly violate the 180 for her to be looking at the muzzle.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    I've been on that particular stage, and I believe you are being misled regarding the safety of the photographer shown. If you look, you can see that she is nearly at the back of the bay. As has already been mentioned, the wide angle of the GoPro does not allow one to accurately judge angles and distances, so you'll have to take my word for it that a shooter would have to significantly violate the 180 for her to be looking at the muzzle.
    Can't argue with that. Those lenses do jack up the perspective.

User Tag List