Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Area 1 WTF! Some people need retraining. Serious safety screw up

Area 1 WTF! Some people need retraining. Serious safety screw up

Didn't want to shit on GJM's thread but just saw this on a USPSA FaceBook page.

Anyone here see this happen?

ETA - Title should have said screw ups (plural). Lots wrong there.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 04-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Darwin works in mysterious ways.

People get complacent waiting for the RO to call all clear, this is God's way of weeding those people out.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Wow! I thought the big deal was the guy on the 180 line taking video at first, but then the brass/tape rats at the end just freaked me the eff out
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Wow! I thought the big deal was the guy on the 180 line taking video at first, but then the brass/tape rats at the end just freaked me the eff out
    She was well back from the 180 on the 184 line and he was safely engaging a target at the 178 line. What could go wrong?

Some folks just operate on a higher level of stupid.

I quote, without further comment:

It is called the normalization of deviance, and it is deadly. The normalization of deviance is defined as: “The gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behavior is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organization.”
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 04-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

It is called the normalization of deviance, and it is deadly. The normalization of deviance is defined as: “The gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behavior is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organization.”
    Absolutely. When I'm running a stage more than once I've found the peanut gallery slowly creeps up closer and closer to the 180 line to the point that a similar situation can happen like the camera lady. I've learned to designate a "peanut gallery zone" to keep the spectators well clear. "No one goes past this line until I call clear. If a shooter breaks the 180 you'll be staring down the muzzle if you stand over there." If someone gets a gun pointed at them it'll be because the shooter broke the 360 line not the 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Not a match, but I recall a thread (started by me) recounting an incident (involving me) that is still a good example of this.

I'd hope, for my safety, I'd strongly encourage a group pow wow surrounding this incident, right after it happens, and if the proper quantity of ass chewing didn't occur, along with demonstrated attitude remediation from all I'd depart from the match.

I get that people want to get "cool" videos of them doing "cool" shooting shit. However place cameras at various locations, and edit it all together later.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Watching that video what comes to my mind is where were those folks when the stage started? Is this actually a RO issue? After the first lady early in the video (she's questionable), the next three folks you see are the RO with the timer, the score keeper/2nd RO and behind them a gentleman who is taking video with a cell phone. They would naturally be following behind the shooter. You get a false reading on the safety of the situation because this is a first person video and you don't know where the gun is pointing as the shooter turns to retreat up the bay to the next position. That last person is truly a safety issue. Where was he at the beginning of the stage and why was he were he was as the shooter rounded the barricade??? If he was there at the beginning of the stage this is a RO issue for starting the stage without making sure the bay is completely clear. If that last person was behind the line at the start and moved up range after the buzzer this is strictly his issue and fault. The RO's are supposed to keep their eyes on what the shooter is doing so they can stop him if they see a safety issue or need to access a procedural. They wouldn't get to see the safety issue until the shooter and they rounded the corner. It seems to me that the last person was heading up range staring at the targets when the shooter came around the corner, not pasting or picking up brass. It fact I believe it is policy that major matches are lost brass matches and the brass whores (I'm one of them LOL) can't scavenge brass.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 04-04-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Wow. Idiots.
    #RESIST

User Tag List