Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Revolvers I'm Watching

New Revolvers I'm Watching

S&W Model 66 2.75".
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-combat-magnum
    This barrel length has yet to appear for sale, but may do so at any moment. It appears to be a shorter barreled version of the 4.25" version recently re-released.

Kimber K6S.
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-stainless-ns
    Now hitting the market with various Youtube reviews appearing. Reliability has yet to be determined.

Colt Cobra.
    http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/Cobra
    These appeared at the recent "SHOT Show", but not yet appearing in stores.

Ruger GP100 Talo models 3".
    http://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1753.html
    These have been out for, perhaps, a few years now.
    I'll be doing further research as to how they're doing and how good they are or aren't.

I'm posting this as a reminder or want-list for myself. This thread might also be used as a place to compare these models as they become available. I don't "need" any of these as my 642, 640Pro, 66-2 2.5", 586 L-Comp, and 627Pro are all doing well. I'm mainly a "Glock-guy", but do like to carry and shoot other platforms.

I don't like to be the new-product-test-person, however. Sometimes the excitement of a newly introduced product can go against my better judgement and I no longer feel the need to obtain the latest firearm prior to others getting them.
    Last edited by L-2; 04-03-2017 at 08:47 PM.

I have a pair of those blued Wiley Clapp GP100's. One has over 1k of Magnum through it. Including a whole bunch of Federal 357B. Great guns.

http://instagram.com/p/BRqNVO7D2l9/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Nice looking revolver. Are those the standard Ruger grips? How do they compare to a round butt Smith?
    Last edited by 1986s4; 04-05-2017 at 08:21 AM.

They are the "compact" version of the Lett grip. Ruger is again selling them. I like them better than Smith, although close in size. Hand is insulated from frame by rubber. Full house, barn burning, 125's are fun out of this thing. First range session was 200 Federal 357B's in just 45 minutes. I wasn't sore the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    They are the "compact" version of the Lett grip. Ruger is again selling them. I like them better than Smith, although close in size. Hand is insulated from frame by rubber. Full house, barn burning, 125's are fun out of this thing. First range session was 200 Federal 357B's in just 45 minutes. I wasn't sore the next day.
    I put a set of the new compact Lett grips on my old security trade in GP-100 .38. Absolutely worth the $50 or so I spent.

Thanks. Still thinking about the Ruger, Smith or Colt. I have a full size duty revolver in a Smith 686-2, something for carry to replace my Smith M13 3" would be good. Thinking the Colt might be good.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've got one of the blued WC GP100s as well. The finish wore through exceptionally quickly, as in a few weeks, and I sent it back to Ruger to re-finish. I've not carried it much sense then, but it held up from the limited holster time it got.

It is my most picky revolver in terms of crud under the extractor star. The tolerances are pretty tight. It's no big deal, just brush under the star every so often and it's a non-issue. My Match Champion, though, will tolerate a lot more crud before needing a good brushing. Nothing to worry about, just something to be aware of.

I really dig the brass bead front sight and the aesthetics of the overall package. I put a Wolf spring kit and had our armorer slick up the insides a little and the result is a super nice trigger. The factory trigger is perfectly serviceable, just slicking up the action (and a lot of dry fire would have done that over time, I suppose) made it a bit better.

Thanks for the valuable responses so far. I may end-up with zero to all four at this point. I'm find that GP100, so far, seems to have the most reviews and track record. I'll keep monitoring the internet as more reviews may come in on the other guns once they are available for sale. The Kimber reviews are starting to come in, but as usual, the round counts are low and nobody has yet experienced a breakage of any sort (from what I've found).

I am trying to avoid watching some of the new Ruger revolvers, in order to preserve my budget.

The .44 Special GP100, especially, is a huge temptation. I would put put an old-school, pre-Hogue grip on it. That original OEM GP100 grip may have been designed by a twin brother from whom I was mysteriously separated at birth. (Yes, I am old enough, if he started young.)

As for Ruger's blue finish, I have never thought highly of it, and anecdotally, it seems it may be worse today than when I was really paying attention to the subject, in the Eighties and Nineties. All of my several GP100 .357 revolvers are stainless steel.

When I retire from LEO-ing, I may well revert to regular carry of a GP100, especially when out and about in rural areas. (I reckon a G26 or G19 makes an nice little emergency close-range back-up for a GP100. ) Several felons got to look up the barrel of one of my GP100 revolvers as late as 2006, while my .45 or .40 duty pistols remained holstered in the duty rig. I permanently switched to autos for police patrol duty in 1997, but still wanted a big GP100 with me on patrol, cached in the front passenger compartment, for quite some time.

I hope Kimber builds better revolvers than their autos. Kimber 1911 pistols struck out with me; three up, three down, and they were built during the so-called glory days of the Kimber 1911, in the late Nineties.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-06-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    I gave the rental Kimber K6 a run at the local range and funshop.

Not too shabby for a 50 round test with some 38 special fodder. It seemed accurate, the trigger was OK. The biggest upside is that it has a decent set of sights. Granted, a 640 with the sights would be just as fine. Trigger seemed nicer than a 640.

I could see playing in IDPA with one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List