Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Glock still relevant?

I've shot all and owned almost all of the SFP's that came out in the last decade. I always go back to a g19 for carry. It's just smaller and conceals better for me. While although I can shoot barely tighter groups with most of the newbies. My draw and split times are still better with a Glock.
    Having said that, I can't wait to buy a P10c. It might be the one.

Funny that Appalachain mentioned the CZ P10C and that it may be the one. I am on the wait list at a few distributors for a P10C and I hope it is a good gun. I own 6 Glocks currently and have owned a few others in the past. I like them and they have worked well for me. However I look forward to something better. The big issue with all the " Glock Killers" and how many guns are better or the next big thing etc. The real deal is that no polymer, striker fired gun has significantly improved on the Glock in enough areas/ways to have much of an impact on the market Glock has so locked down and the supporting aftermarket.

There are SFA with better sights and better triggers that cost similar to the Glock. There are SFAs with better ergonomics,more ambidextrous controls and cost a little less. The CZ P10C along with some other SFA have features that "fix" many of the common Glock complaints. It has Metal sights, ambi slide catch and mag catch,wedge shape slide, front cocking serrations,good ergos,changable backstraps,good checkering on the grip, heavy duty components and made by a proven manufacturer. I hope it is good and it may even be better than a Glock in almost all areas while costing less. That still won't be enough to be a threat to Glock as they are so established.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaconator757 View Post
    Another top contender is the PPQ. It has a vastly superior trigger and ergonomics which lend itself to better accuracy. It's also just a hair over Glock's weight, yet it is shot down by all the Glock fanboys because it's not as proven.
    I shot an IDPA classifier with a Wilson Supergrade, then a few months later with a PPQ; same classification. After that I did a few months of dedicated practice, shot a 3rd classifier with a Gen 3 Glock 17 and moved up a classification.

In my experience, which gun doesn't really matter all that much. Train, practice, compete; that's what makes the difference. Not sure how much of those you do.

Lmao!! These trolls are getting funnier. In what world is an XD as reliable as Glock??

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Glock may not really be "perfection", but if you're in the market for a striker-fired pistol the question is still "why not buy a Glock"? There're answers to that question, but it's still a question that has to be asked.

It's still the standard to which others are compared. No one is out trying to unseat the XD or M&P. Nobody does a headline for the latest "VP9 Killer".

The P320 getting the M17 contract is probably the biggest shakeup so far, but it could also turn out to be the gun that has every serviceman going "why didn't we get Glocks" in 3 years, too.
    I really think this hits the nail on the head. When I think of guns solely on paper I look at weight, size (specifically thickness and length of grip, especially compared to how many rounds you get for it), how many rounds does a flush mag hold, ergos (can I reach all the controls without shifting my grip or not shifting my grip too much), action type, trigger quality, aftermarket support (accessories, holsters, sights), Complexity/number of parts/user serviceable, Cost of gun/cost of accessories, Reliability/track record, and Replacement parts availability. For me, on paper, the glock wins almost all of these categories or more categories than other pistols.

There are two categories that are not on paper and only the person buying the gun can figure out if they outweigh the above. They are how well the user shoots the pistol and how intrinsically connected someone is to the design. For example, my brother-in-law loves 1911s even though "on paper" he admits they lose to a Glock. I admit, I love a Sig P226/P229. I honestly don't know why, but I have enjoyed it every time that I have shot it and I honestly just love looking at them. Maybe I just have watched one to many episodes of NCIS. They are heavier than the glock, thicker, and much costlier which is why Glock is still in my holster day in and day out. My brother in law doesn't carry a 1911 btw either.

For a guy that has a gun that he is going to use at the range twice a year and let it sit in his nightstand - really any gun will work. But if you are going to be serious student of the gun and you need parts, mags, holsters, carry gun, training gun, backup gun, etc., you really need to ask yourself - why not Glock?

BTW - Before the M&P and XD came out - the answer to your question was almost always answered with there is no other gun that as the reliability and track record that a Glock has (I would add a Sig p226/p229 has that track record too but at a higher price) and the discussion was over. I think its funny that once the M&P and XD came out, reliability and track record went from the most important thing a gun could have to almost at the bottom of the list as most people thought that "new modern" designs were all tested and proven by the manufacturer and therefore had to be in the same league as Glock in terms of reliability. For example, I honestly loved shooting my buddy's VP9 and I was admittedly surprised when the torture test over at MAC got it to choke pretty easily. Yes I realize it was a sample of 1, but I think it kind of woke people up that just because its polymer and SFA that its not necessarily immune to stoppages.

The new modern designs may very well be better - I honestly don't know. But for me, track record is still something I factor in to the equation.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-03-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Is Glock still relevant?
    Even though I primarily shoot and carry HK LEM variants , Glock 19s are the only striker fired guns I own , because I think when they do run correctly the size to weight to capacity ratio is just about right.
    My most vetted Glock 19 has a gadget. With some help and direction from Wayne Dobbs all of my Glock 19s run as they are supposed to. So yeah for someone who's looking at buying a striker fired gun I think they are still relevant .

If my previous answer was too long - Roland at Primary & Secondary said this that might help...

"My gun safe stopped looking like a collection a few years ago when I realized where we are going. I don't have CZ, Glock, revolver, f***ing berreta, f***ing sig, f***ing one of everything. F*** that! My f***ing gun safe looks like an arms room. Glock, glock, glock, glock glock, glock, glock, glock, AR, AR, AR, AR, AR. My f***ing gun safe is ready to f***ing dish out guns to get it the f*** on. It is not a collection, it is f***ing an assembly of weapons that are going to be used shortly. "
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-03-2017 at 09:17 PM.

I routinely carry any one of these 3 handguns, or variants thereof.

Never once has any person that I ever pointed a gun at asked me if the weapon pointed at them was relevant.

The OP's whole schtick would be better presented at arfkom or some other juvenile site.

I honestly fail to see how this thread is beneficial to members of PF, other than to identify twits. Normally I try to have a more positive message for my brothers, who go in harms way and are dedicated to the martial use of handguns, as well as those who just enjoy the quest to reach the apex of their own abilities. Frankly the OP's post just smacks of Jackassery.

I am all for Nuking this thread.

21 posts, no signs of a forum war. This place is boring.
    Last edited by YVK; 04-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I am all for Nuking this thread.
    I had thought the thread was locked earlier in the evening...

Name:  ithjl.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  38.4 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List