Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is Glock still relevant?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    2007 Durango, 2002 Chevy Duramax 2500HD, 1998 Civic, 1996 Celica GT. No airfresheners, no HiPoint. Do the airfresheners come with the HiPoint, or is it the other way around?
    Name:  IMG_1201.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  38.9 KB

Covers... certain odors....
    Last edited by HCM; 04-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Glock is still relevant even here in California. Maybe especially here in California, since for now most newer competitors can't get on the DOJ roster.

It was a wise business decision for Glock to keep the gen 3 models on roster (gen 4 isn't, and won't be unless/until we get a favorable legal outcome on the microstamping rule and others). There are nights at the range when there are more Glocks on the line than everything else combined, and they still sell a lot of them here. That matters especially when you consider that the California GDP as of 2015, the latest numbers available, is at $2.46-trillion which places it sixth in the world, between the UK and France (I'm not a fan of the way this state is run, that's simply the economic reality though and it's directly related to why I'm stuck here for probably at least the next five years). Latest statewide population estimate is 38.8 million, so if you extrapolate those six or seven Glocks I often see on a 10-station range in a relatively small county to the entire state, that's a LOT of gen 3 Glocks being sold.

Now if only they'd make 10-round mags reliable with hollow points, carrying my G19 would be a realistic option... until then, it sees only range use.
    You have my empathy. Gen4 Glocks fit my hands noticeably better than Gen3, though this is an individual thing, and local dealers, in Texas, still sell plenty of Gen3 pistols. The Gen3 that my hands liked best was my G27, during my brief time with .40 Glocks, early 2002 to late 2004. (IIRC, I liked it best with a G23 magazine in place.) I long planned to replace it with a G26, but this did not happen until Gen4 came along.

Regarding the 10-round magazine capacity limitation, have you tried any of the third-party 10-round mags, such as Magpul or E-something? I am blessed to live in Texas, but will soon be traveling to several occupied territories, and the federal LEOSA does not exempt anyone from local ammunition capacity laws, so 10-round G19-compatible mags are on my near-term shopping list.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    You have my empathy. Gen4 Glocks fit my hands noticeably better than Gen3, though this is an individual thing, and local dealers, in Texas, still sell plenty of Gen3 pistols. The Gen3 that my hands liked best was my G27, during my brief time with .40 Glocks, early 2002 to late 2004. I long planned to replace it with a G26, but this did not happen until Gen4 came along.

Regarding the 10-round magazine capacity limitation, have you tried any of the third-party 10-round mags, such as Magpul or E-something? I am blessed to live in Texas, but will soon be traveling to several occupied territories, and the federal LEOSA does not exempt anyone from local ammunition capacity laws, so 10-round G19-compatible mags are on my near-term shopping list.
    There's another thread or two on here somewhere with excellent info on 10-round mags for Glock. Bottom line is that I'm not seeing complete confidence yet for any of the alternatives... either for changing the followers or for aftermarket options. Magpul doesn't yet offer a 10-round option that I'm aware of. The whole thing is really unfortunate, because there may be hundreds of thousands of people carrying Glocks in this and other low-cap states who think that just because their mags work well with FMJ they're good to go. I tried to have this discussion with a tacticool local gun store guy in Livermore once and gave up after the first minute, no he hadn't tried it with defense ammo but he just knew his Glock was fine and no way was he going to reconsider that opinion for even a second.

DocGKR has weighed in on chopping a G19 to use G26 mags which is about the best and most reliable option I've seen, and maybe someday I'll do that. Shorter term I'd probably just carry a G26. For now I've avoided that entire decision, because HK... why spend a bunch on mods when my P2000's work out of the box with factory 10-round mags, so I went that direction and am perfectly happy. I do take the G19 to the range often though, it's a gen 2 (my preference, for my hands) and am sad that it's been relegated to second choice by a series of emotion-based political decisions.

Oh well. Just think of all the money I've saved because California won't let me spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yup, the biggest result of the M17 contract is that it moves the P320 into a solid position to challenge the M&P as the official NotAGlock on the market.
    I agree. Even so, it is a significant Not-A-Glock, because when one of the largest police departments in the USA, about 5200+ sworn personnel at full strength, just decided to settle upon one primary duty auto-pistol, it was the 9mm P320. Unlike most such deals, this one will not replace existing duty pistols, but will be the mandated duty pistols of all new recruits, at least in the first phase, while existing officers will continue to use thier current personally-owned duty pistols, unless they decide to buy into the P320. (I am guessing that there may be a next phase, that will require all newly-added/replacement primary duty pistols to be a 9mm P320.)

This very large PD hires several hundred recruits each year, varying a bit with the budget. A near-exodus of retirements late last year, into this year, has prompted a surge in recruitment. (Those hired during the large recruitment drive 1980-1986 are aging-out of the physical side of policing, and a push to get officers out from behind desks is reducing the number of comfortable alternatives to street work.)

Notably, the chief of this very large PD was recently recruited from another large PD, where they standardized upon the M&P40 during hs watch, which reinforces Tamara's quoted statement.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    I agree. Even so, it is a significant Not-A-Glock, because when one of the largest police departments in the USA, about 5200+ sworn personnel at full strength, just decided to settle upon one primary duty auto-pistol, it was the 9mm P320. Unlike most such deals, this one will not replace existing duty pistols, but will be the mandated duty pistols of all new recruits, at least in the first phase, while existing officers will continue to use thier current personally-owned duty pistols, unless they decide to buy into the P320. (I am guessing that there may be a next phase, that will require all newly-added/replacement primary duty pistols to be a 9mm P320.)

This very large PD hires several hundred recruits each year, varying a bit with the budget. A near-exodus of retirements late last year, into this year, has prompted a surge in recruitment. (Those hired during the large recruitment drive 1980-1986 are aging-out of the physical side of policing, and a push to get officers out from behind desks is reducing the number of comfortable alternatives to street work.)

Notably, the chief of this very large PD was recently recruited from another large PD, where they standardized upon the M&P40 during hs watch, which reinforces Tamara's quoted statement.
    Said chiefs prior department isdued Glocks in 40 and allowed 1911's before the M&P 40 was declared the "one gun for everyone".

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    There's another thread or two on here somewhere with excellent info on 10-round mags for Glock. Bottom line is that I'm not seeing complete confidence yet for any of the alternatives... either for changing the followers or for aftermarket options. Magpul doesn't yet offer a 10-round option that I'm aware of. The whole thing is really unfortunate, because there may be hundreds of thousands of people carrying Glocks in this and other low-cap states who think that just because their mags work well with FMJ they're good to go. I tried to have this discussion with a tacticool local gun store guy in Livermore once and gave up after the first minute, no he hadn't tried it with defense ammo but he just knew his Glock was fine and no way was he going to reconsider that opinion for even a second.

DocGKR has weighed in on chopping a G19 to use G26 mags which is about the best and most reliable option I've seen, and maybe someday I'll do that. Shorter term I'd probably just carry a G26. For now I've avoided that entire decision, because HK... why spend a bunch on mods when my P2000's work out of the box with factory 10-round mags, so I went that direction and am perfectly happy. I do take the G19 to the range often though, it's a gen 2 (my preference, for my hands) and am sad that it's been relegated to second choice by a series of emotion-based political decisions.

Oh well. Just think of all the money I've saved because California won't let me spend it.
    I remember that thread topic, about DocGKR's interesting solution, and have considered a similarly-modified pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Said chiefs prior department isdued Glocks in 40 and allowed 1911's before the M&P 40 was declared the "one gun for everyone".
    I was encouraged when I read of his continuing to allow 1911 pistols at his previous job. I am qual'ed with both G19 and 1911 duty pistols, but certainly do shoot the 1911 much better, especially noticeable at longer range.

Site Supporter
    I was encouraged when I read of his continuing to allow 1911 pistols at his previous job. I am qual'ed with both G19 and 1911 duty pistols, but certainly do shoot the 1911 much better, especially noticeable at longer range.
    My understanding is 1911s went away along with the Glocks. At least on duty in uniform is was a "Henry Ford" weapons list - you can have what ever you want as long as it is a .40 cal M&P.

If the OP is still lurking, here you go:
    Glocks are soulless abominations that go kaboom with every other round! Mah Kimber posesses the soul of St. John Moses Browning Himself, and has flawlessly fired dozens of rounds of RIP ammo!!!

Hope that makes you feel better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    If the OP is still lurking, here you go:
    Glocks are soulless abominations that go kaboom with every other round! Mah Kimber posesses the soul of St. John Moses Browning Himself, and has flawlessly fired dozens of rounds of RIP ammo!!!

Hope that makes you feel better.
    Name:  IMG_1384.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  26.6 KB

User Tag List