Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ 75B Omega trigger return spring: second breakage in new pistol

Site Supporter

CZ 75B Omega trigger return spring: second breakage in new pistol

On June 15 last year, I bought a new CZ 75B Omega. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I bought this gun mainly for dryfire practice with the idea that mastering a DA pull will help with shooting my Glocks. Consequently, I dry fire the pistol a lot (relatively speaking). Less than two months after I bought the pistol, the trigger return spring broke. I immediately ordered a three OEM springs from Cajun Gun Works and one CGW reduced power TRS. I put one of the OEM springs in the pistol and started dry firing again. Tonight that second OEM spring broke. It's not worth it to me to keep up with the number of times I dry fire, but I would conservatively estimate that the gun has perhaps 14,000 trigger pulls, though it could be twice that. Regardless, it seems to me that these TRSs really are bad. I'm now on my third spring in a ~9 month old pistol with only 360 live rounds fired through it. I put the CGW reduced power TRS in the gun tonight, and hopefully it'll last longer. In any case, if I carried a CZ, I would definitely swap my OEM TRS for a Cajun Gun Works or Cajun Custom spring.

FWIW, I broke an OEM spring within 2 months of dry fire. I then replaced it with the CGW TRS, and that lasted significantly longer. I'm sure it was in the high 5 or low 6 figures of reps with dry fire before it broke. However, it's one of those things that it's hard to track with dry fire, so it really cemented in my mind the need for a separate dryfire/training gun and carry gun if you're going to do any meaningful amount of practice. Or just be super aggressive with preventative maintenance.

I'm not super familiar with CZs but the TRS breakage doesn't seem abnormal for the usage. It's recommended to replace the TRS on a Beretta every 5K trigger pulls, live or dry. If you're dry firing that much, it might make sense to change the TRS every month or two.
    Shoot more, post less...

TRS break, and more so in some DA/SA designs (CZ75, beretta 92, surely others...).
    It is a PITA to keep track of trigger pulls when one does a lot of dry firing, but it seems neccessary. Not sure if preventive maintenance is 100% effective at preventing breakages, though.

How is your slide stop doing? They sometimes break early in the CZs...

The CZ Custom TRS lasts much longer than the OEM but is heavier.

In my experience, CZ TRS' routinely shit the bed. I've had this happen with OEM, CGW and CZ Custom versions. I don't think I ever had one last more than 1-2k live fire rounds and a decent amount of dry fire. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

By comparison though, my practice Brig Tac has 5k through it and probably 10k+ dry fire pulls. Still on the original TRS.

What these guys said. TRS = normal wear item. On my tanfo I could actually feel when I spring was getting weak.
    Live fire has nothing to do with it so don't feel like with only 360 live rounds nothing should go wrong.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I'm not super familiar with CZs but the TRS breakage doesn't seem abnormal for the usage. It's recommended to replace the TRS on a Beretta every 5K trigger pulls, live or dry. If you're dry firing that much, it might make sense to change the TRS every month or two.
    I didn't know that about Berettas. I'll add some Beretta TRS to my shopping list. I've had my used 92 for a little over a year. Nothing on it has broken, but I have no idea how many trigger pulls that spring has on it. I often dry fire it as well, but not nearly at the volume of the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    How is your slide stop doing? They sometimes break early in the CZs...
    I haven't noticed any problems, but I didn't really examine it last night. The dry fire shouldn't cause wear on the slide stop, so I'd be quite surprised if that part broke too.

As for the TRS, at least they are cheap and easy to replace. If this Cajun spring breaks too quickly, I'll definitely try a CZ Custom next time. A heavier spring wouldn't bother me as having a pistol with a heavy trigger is largely why I bought this one. I shot 50 rounds through it after work today, almost all in DA, and didn't experience any problems. I really do like the pistol.

My CZ is SAO so the movement on the TRS is minimal. I have read that one should keep that spring lubricated for best endurance. I have at least 15,000 rounds through a '91 CZ, converted to SAO by Angus Hobdell. Still on it's original slide stop, I do keep a spare one just in case.
    For dry fire training have you tried a DA revolver?

I was into classic CZs in about 2004. By 2007 they were all sold off. I had a 75b, P-01, 97b, and 75b Shadow. All of them had problems which included parts breakages and wear issues. Maybe the newer polymer CZs are better?*shrugs*

The late Todd Green saw many of them choke in his classes and he never recommended them for serious use:
    https://pistol-training.com/archives/3218

"Zed is not your friend"

User Tag List