Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many magazines per gun?

For me, it's a minimum of 10 for primary handgun(s) and rifle(s). Easy to accomplish with Glocks, the mags are dirt cheap. I buy 3 every year or so, and once I've run a couple cycles through them to make sure they function, they become "carry" mags. Other mags go into the range bag as "training" mags. I probably have 15-20 G17 & G19 magazines now. I have at least 15 Magpuls for my AR, and just pick more up when I find them cheap.

I'd like to get to the point of having 100 AR mags, just to piss off anti's, but eventually I'll run out of space in my safe...

Minimum 5, preferably 10.

I might double that when we switch to Glocks based on my personal observations of Glock mags.

If it's something you fear may be banned, then I say as many as you can reasonably fit in the budget.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    G19 and G17 I have about ten factory mags for each as well as few assorted Magpul and ETS mags.

Guns that I'm unlikely to take to gun school or use for heavy shooting, I'm generally happy with four or five.

AR mags...I have no earthly idea how many of these things I've stacked up, but having lived through the Ban Era of '94-'04, I am not entirely rational about them.

My mom's parents got married in the middle of the Great Depression. They had a lovely late-19th/early-20th Century bungalow in Chicago with cut-glass doorknobs on half the doors. Every single one of the doorknob shafts was covered in rubber bands because they wouldn't throw any away. I'm like that with AR mags.
    Living in a ban state right now, I'm the same way

It appears that current and former LE are a bit more restrained thus far. Well, except for one major outlier.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Compared to what? Most people can (and do) go through a lifetime with much less. I like having a few more than I think I'll need just in case of future bans or worn out springs / followers etc. I don't doubt that, speaking for myself, a dozen for each firearm is overkill but I like knowing I have 'em and they didn't set me back more than I was comfortable spending.
    I consider most of the members here to be really well versed on the subject. So if the general consensus of replies to this tread is that I'm pissing away money trying to stock that many magazines I'm going to rethink my goals

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It appears that current and former LE are a bit more restrained thus far. Well, except for one major outlier.
    Maybe because they are more immune to whims of politicians?

I tended to be like Tam with regards to magazines during the Klinton ban era - where has that gotten me come July when I *have* to turn them in? Should have bought Gold at $400/ounce instead of $20 beat to hell Sanchez AR magazines.......
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-03-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Maybe because they are more immune to whims of politicians?

I tended to be like Tam with regards to magazines during the Klinton ban era - where has that gotten me come July when I *have* to turn them in? Should have bought Gold at $400/ounce instead of $20 beat to hell Sanchez AR magazines.......
    I totally get it and am not immune...just have a different conception of "enough". That said and to be fair, judging by the posts of many here the amount of ammo I go through in any given year is considerably less as well...so it would make sense for these folks to have a higher level of items deemed "consumables".

When I was still employed by "Uncle" we went through many of the same concerns and gyrations as the public at large even if it didn't always appear to be the case.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Handguns, I would say 5-10 for most people will be just fine, double that for the 1911 crew. Maybe those who have carried revolvers into harms can comment on speedloaders and whatnot.

I like keeping loaded mags in my truck, wife's car, "go bag", front door letter desk, and a few other places so that pushes my number up.

Rifles I have 20 mags. Only five are out of the packaging. I'm not planning a loadout for the endtimes so I'm fine with that. However, given that Western WA would really, really like to be CA I do have apractice of buying a few mags every year just to mothball, since I don't see myself leaving this state anytime soon. I also expect a good deal of "stereotypically left" legislation after this current political turmoil has passed so I have definitely been taking advantage of some of the post-election deals.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I realize this is probably a pedestrian question but how many magazines do you guys think is adequate to keep on hand per gun?
    A quantity of magazines to fulfill its task, i.e. "basic load".
    A quantity of magazines equivalent to the basic load expressly for training purposes.
    A quantity of spare magazines in stock or acquired for replacement as needed or scheduled. Then, mag in for task, task mag to training, training mag to contingency spare or discard.

5-6 magazines, plus one every year or two, is a lifetime of shooting for the overwhelming majority of folks.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I tended to be like Tam with regards to magazines during the Klinton ban era - where has that gotten me come July when I *have* to turn them in?
    Wait! What? I was supposed to...?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List