Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many magazines per gun?

Banned

How many magazines per gun?

I realize this is probably a pedestrian question but how many magazines do you guys think is adequate to keep on hand per gun?

My reasons for asking are as follows

I live in Colorado, whatever 20 round magazines I have for my Mini14 right now are all I get for the foreseeable future. Similarly I'm SOL on 17 round M&P magazines. I can buy replacement springs as needed but no magazines unless I want to skirt the intent of the law.

New magazines for my 4006 are unavailable what I have is what I have for life.

My 15 round Glock magazines are currently legal but I can't predict the future. No one in Colorao thought the magazine capacity restrictions would pass.....until they did.

So I'm not asking how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse, I'm asking how to survive the (highly unlikely) concept that Gaston might decide to quit selling Glocks someday.

100 + for my 9mm Glock s

500+ for my ARs

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

How many magazines per gun?

N= what you have

N+2 is what you need.

Right now I have 3 g19 mags and 9 226 mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-03-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    100 + for my 9mm Glock s

500+ for my ARs

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    That's impressive, brother! I'm not worthy!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I realize this is probably a pedestrian question but how many magazines do you guys think is adequate to keep on hand per gun?

My reasons for asking are as follows

I live in Colorado, whatever 20 round magazines I have for my Mini14 right now are all I get for the foreseeable future. Similarly I'm SOL on 17 round M&P magazines. I can buy replacement springs as needed but no magazines unless I want to skirt the intent of the law.
    Questions re: Colorado magazine law. I realize it was written very poorly by people who had no idea what they were trying to regulate.
    1) Does the law prohibit importing new magazines from say Wyoming (as the Kalifornia law did)?
    2) AFAK MOST Colorado Sheriffs have refused to enforce the law as both unconstitutional and unenforceable. Given that, unless you live in Boulder or Denver counties - is that really the law of the land?
    3) "skirt the intent of the law" - Sir, the "intent" of the law is to deny you your Creator-given rights as enumerated in the US Constitution. If the law is immoral and (in the case of Colorado) toothless - then why obey it? As a Kalifornian who has been forced to deal with such laws that are NOT toothless, I know what my answer would be if I was in your shoes.

However to answer your question - it is a question I have spent a fair amount of idle brain processing power to come up with. I have always heard the rule of thumb of 10 magazines for every rifle/pistol, and sometimes 6 for every pistol. I have followed it and in my experience it has proven to be a bit on the excessive side (ask me again after the Zombie Apocalypse). I would be comfortable with twice what I would consider my "loadout" to be for either shooting sports or the inevitable Apocalypse deJure.

This has allowed me to maintain a ready amount of standard capacity magazines on all of my "legacy" platforms since the Kalifornia 2000 AWB. That said, Kalifornia just declared that those magazines they said I could keep now have to be turned in by July, so that should give you some more food for thought about the "intent of the law."
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-03-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    However to answer your question - it is a question I have spent a fair amount of idle brain processing power to come up with. I have always heard the rule of thumb of 10 magazines for every rifle/pistol, and sometimes 6 for every pistol. I have followed it and in my experience it has proven to be a bit on the excessive side (ask me again after the Zombie Apocalypse). I would be comfortable with twice what I would consider my "loadout" to be for either shooting sports or the inevitable Apocalypse deJure.
    That's much closer to where I am. A dozen for my AR, and roughly a dozen each for my three Glocks (mixed OEM and Magpul). Now I don't feel so inadequate.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    If you know exactly how many you have, you probably need more. I have dozens of Glock mags and dozens of AR mags. For range guns, I like to have 6: three to use and three to hoard. I'll keep slowly buying more, but I bought more than I could afford last year.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Questions re: Colorado magazine law. I realize it was written very poorly by people who had no idea what they were trying to regulate.
    1) Does the law prohibit importing new magazines from say Wyoming (as the Kalifornia law did)?
    2) AFAK MOST Colorado Sheriffs have refused to enforce the law as both unconstitutional and unenforceable. Given that, unless you live in Boulder or Denver counties - is that really the law of the land?
    3) "skirt the intent of the law" - Sir, the "intent" of the law is to deny you your Creator-given rights as enumerated in the US Constitution. If the law is immoral and (in the case of Colorado) toothless - then why obey it? As a Kalifornian who has been forced to deal with such laws that are NOT toothless, I know what my answer would be if I was in your shoes.

This has allowed me to maintain a ready amount of standard capacity magazines on all of my "legacy" platforms since the Kalifornia 2000 AWB. That said, Kalifornia just declared that those magazines they said I could keep now have to be turned in by July, so that should give you some more food for thought about the "intent of the law."
    I got a chance to discuss the law with Massad Ayoob once. He said (paraphrased) you're always better off to avoid "grey areas" of the law and remain in clear compliance with the law at all times.

What that means to me is if the law says 15 it's 15 and we keep trying to get it repealed but until that happens I abide by the law.

Second, this isn't about "load out" it's about having enough to keep the gun in service for my life time and the life time of my grandkids.

Banned
    I guess if I'm going to ask question I should give my answer. When I was in the Army ( back in the dinosaur days) our standard load for the M16 was six magazines on your LBE one in the weapon. So to me the standard load for my rifle today would be 7 magazines. I would like three sets of 7 so for rifles it would be 21.

For handguns which I obviously carry more than a rifle I was always taught to carry a weapon loaded with to reload so three magazines would be the standard load and I would want 6 sets of 3 which would be 18 per handgun.

Also remember I only have 3 handguns and 1 rifle so at most we're talking 80 some magazines

So my question would be is that ridiculously high or ridiculously low?
    Last edited by Cypher; 04-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.

...All of them?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List