Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    Yea except that they bashed PPQs on their forum before. Now that Walther is a sponsor they are suddenly gushing over PPQs. Funny how that works.
    Can someone give me the cliff notes version of the pod cast as relates to Walther?

I shot them a year plus in USPSA CO, and became quite familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths -- accurate, great out of the box trigger, well designed multi optic system on the Q5, point naturally, very reliable with virtually no maintenance required and I never broke a part in a single one, good holster and sight support.

Weaknesses -- grip is a bit short for me, and I need extended magazines to get an optimal grip. The magazine extensions allow for 20-21 rounds compared to 22 rounds with a 140mm Glock magazine. As Bill Wilson pointed out to me, and he really likes them, they don't split great, which he attributes to the barrels needing more mass. The deal breaker for my carry use, especially given the time I spend in the air, is it doesn't take much of a whack for the striker to release, giving you a dead trigger. I hate relying on the firing pin block to prevent a discharge. For high round count use, the square rear corner is really tough on the knuckle at the base of my thumb. The multi optic system is tough on red dots.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Yea except that they bashed PPQs on their forum before. Now that Walther is a sponsor they are suddenly gushing over PPQs. Funny how that works.
    Interesting. Never been over there before. Did a bit of perusing. I found a thread from 2 years ago over there about the PPQ along the lines of “if you don’t read about it here it sucks” kinda thing. Be interesting to hear them talk about why they apparently changed their mind.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The PPQ/Q5 is a great shooting gaming gun, but worries me for carry as it doesn’t take much of a bump to have the striker release, with the firing pin safety preventing ignition, but giving you a dead trigger.
    I've intentionally bumped, smacked, dropped and thumped my 5-inch PPQ M1 (purchased early in 2018) to get the striker to release to no avail. My understanding is that the sear engagement has been increased, which makes the trigger release not quite as nice but still very good. I've trained my trigger finger to get a clean break with mine.

Love those paddles!

Can someone give me the cliff notes version of the pod cast as relates to Walther?

I shot them a year plus in USPSA CO, and became quite familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths -- accurate, great out of the box trigger, well designed multi optic system on the Q5, point naturally, very reliable with virtually no maintenance required and I never broke a part in a single one, good holster and sight support.

Weaknesses -- grip is a bit short for me, and I need extended magazines to get an optimal grip. The magazine extensions allow for 20-21 rounds compared to 22 rounds with a 140mm Glock magazine. As Bill Wilson pointed out to me, and he really likes them, they don't split great, which he attributes to the barrels needing more mass. The deal breaker for my carry use, especially given the time I spend in the air, is it doesn't take much of a whack for the striker to release, giving you a dead trigger. I hate relying on the firing pin block to prevent a discharge. For high round count use, the square rear corner is really tough on the knuckle at the base of my thumb. The multi optic system is tough on red dots.
    A lot of it was historical stuff and how they ended up in Arkansas and where they’re headed. Sounds like they’re trying to make inroads with the US LE market. Spent time talking about the German Police test protocols. Spent time talking about their different pistols. Had Steve Fischer, Jim Fletcher and 2 Walther guys on there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    This is true, however. in fairness, they used to bash TDA guns and have since changed their tune based on input from some SME's without a sponsorship being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is true, however. in fairness, they used to bash TDA guns and have since changed their tune based on input from some SME's without a sponsorship being involved.
    Are any of those guys shooting high round counts through the PPQ/Q5?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Are any of those guys shooting high round counts through the PPQ/Q5?
    Supposedly the Walther Reps are hobby shooters shooting them in competition on the weekends. I recall one of the Walther Reps on the show from when managed a "tac bro" gunshop local to me. They used to hold training classes and a weekly outlaw 2 gun type shooting competition. He was a regular particpant but I dont recall what he shot back then.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I made a mistake yesterday when I had a chance to handle pretty much the entire Walther line. I’m thinking seriously about ordering a Q5, PPQ and a PPQ-SC. I was truly impressed!

Their IOP prices are very Glockish....
    The internals are glockish as well if you have not field stripped one. There is also the PPS M2 which is a nice shooting gun for it's size. I have the 5" standard PPQ in 9mm and the PPQ 45 and i enjoy shooting both of them.
    Last edited by WOLFIE; 11-14-2018 at 12:33 AM.

George,

Is the striker release from an impact causing the trigger to defeat the trigger safety and move?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonCombatRep View Post
    George,

Is the striker release from an impact causing the trigger to defeat the trigger safety and move?
    Not George, but, it does not come from trigger movement. It has to do with the striker catch internally. Any hit to the back of the slide will drop the striker easily.

I am sure you guys have one around there. Try it yourself.

User Tag List