Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

Your draw is nothing short of outstanding!

My son-in-law has a Q5 Match. I'm too invested in the M&P but If I were starting out again the Walther is without question what I'd go with. All one needs are a few more mags and it's match ready, the trigger is just the finest out of the box trigger I've felt. Lube it, load it and shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Oops, missed the Bill drill video.
    Would you describe your draw method/mechanics as the "scoop" method? I think that's what I'm seeing and from what I recall, the only USPSA shooters I've seen on vids go that fast were using that method - which is in contrast to Vogel's IIRC - hand goes to a place over the grip and drives down into it. Technically less efficient perhaps.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Would you describe your draw method/mechanics as the "scoop" method? I think that's what I'm seeing and from what I recall, the only USPSA shooters I've seen on vids go that fast were using that method - which is in contrast to Vogel's IIRC - hand goes to a place over the grip and drives down into it. Technically less efficient perhaps.
    I don't think he's using the scoop draw, but it definitely does look a lot like that. If you have the master hand path from bottom of holster to gripping an owb gun, and do a really good job minimizing the time the grip is established with the gun sitting in the holster and you get it out of there right away, that's going to be close to a scoop draw.

To me, the fine line difference is whether the fingers contact the front strap only before lifting (the actual scoop draw) or you get the fingers in contact with the front strap and palm contacting the back strap. I believe the latter is how GJM does it. I've been asked if I do a scoop draw too because of minimal time riding the gun in the holster, though I'm not sure a true scoop draw can actually be done from aiwb anyway because the belt is in the way of lifting the hand and catching the front strap with the fingers on the way up.

Interested in GJM's answer too!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I don't think he's using the scoop draw, but it definitely does look a lot like that. If you have the master hand path from bottom of holster to gripping an owb gun, and do a really good job minimizing the time the grip is established with the gun sitting in the holster and you get it out of there right away, that's going to be close to a scoop draw.

To me, the fine line difference is whether the fingers contact the front strap only before lifting (the actual scoop draw) or you get the fingers in contact with the front strap and palm contacting the back strap. I believe the latter is how GJM does it. I've been asked if I do a scoop draw too because of minimal time riding the gun in the holster, though I'm not sure a true scoop draw can actually be done from aiwb anyway because the belt is in the way of lifting the hand and catching the front strap with the fingers on the way up.

Interested in GJM's answer too!
    VERY interesting. I learned Bill Jordan style which I think is more scoop, as a kid using my K-38. I drew like that until shortly after the 21st century dawned. I used to be fast as shit. LOL
    I did throw that K-38 once or twice back in the day. It's barrel was too long for that game but it's all I had. LOL
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

VERY interesting. I learned Bill Jordan style which I think is more scoop, as a kid using my K-38. I drew like that until shortly after the 21st century dawned. I used to be fast as shit. LOL
    I did throw that K-38 once or twice back in the day. It's barrel was too long for that game but it's all I had. LOL
    Cool!

throw
    I think that's why everyone I'm aware of cautions against the actual scoop draw.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

JHC, fair question. Gabe and I have discussed this extensively off line. To me, a scoop draw has a negative connotation, related to control.

To best answer your question, I would need you to give me a choice of different draw types, and specifically define each of these draws, so we are using the same words to describe each. My warmed up draw to an open target is in the .50’s, and that is a pretty violent maneuver, that regardless of method, brings more risk than, for example, a 2.0 second draw. Wha I am trying to do is to intently listen for the beep, react at the beginning of the beep, explode to get to the gun, establish my grip, and explode again towards the target.

I took some screenshots of just reaching the gun, and getting it out, which may be easier to see than trying to pause frame through the YouTube video.

Name:  ECD28455-D6E7-4CCA-935F-7602DC5D098C.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  6A92D612-1CBD-4A2C-B920-0D7726B2AE85.jpg
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  F82D7CCF-8F9A-4AB3-910B-A53B66E68BD2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  7323964E-29B6-410A-B4B1-1604AF86973C.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  100.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just to add some context, the first two photos are of different draws in the .58-.60 range to a close open target, and the second two are draws to an eight inch at 15 yards in the .87-1.00 range.

It's very efficient. Nothing moving that doesn't need to move.

Would you say that you feel relaxed when going for a max speed draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JHC, fair question. Gabe and I have discussed this extensively off line. To me, a scoop draw has a negative connotation, related to control.

To best answer your question, I would need you to give me a choice of different draw types, and specifically define each of these draws, so we are using the same words to describe each. My warmed up draw to an open target is in the .50’s, and that is a pretty violent maneuver, that regardless of method, brings more risk than, for example, a 2.0 second draw. Wha I am trying to do is to intently listen for the beep, react at the beginning of the beep, explode to get to the gun, establish my grip, and explode again towards the target.

I took some screenshots of just reaching the gun, and getting it out, which may be easier to see than trying to pause frame through the YouTube video.

Name:  ECD28455-D6E7-4CCA-935F-7602DC5D098C.jpg
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  6A92D612-1CBD-4A2C-B920-0D7726B2AE85.jpg
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  F82D7CCF-8F9A-4AB3-910B-A53B66E68BD2.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  7323964E-29B6-410A-B4B1-1604AF86973C.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  100.5 KB
    I think I'm seeing a new subspecies. Not top down. Not scoop. It's coming in from the side is it? Its fast as hell, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    It's very efficient. Nothing moving that doesn't need to move.

Would you say that you feel relaxed when going for a max speed draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I try to stay relaxed, I am wired as tight as possible. TGO explains it by saying it is very natural to be tense, but you need to work with that tension, staying below the threshold that makes you jerky or gives you trigger freeze.

I think I'm seeing a new subspecies. Not top down. Not scoop. It's coming in from the side is it? Its fast as hell, that's for sure.
    Definitely coming in from the side — I learned that from Gabe. Hard enough that it is a near collision with the pistol. Something that I learned from Manny Bragg is staying upright. I turtle just a bit, and more with an optic, but an upright stance helps me draw faster and more consistently, see better, and transition better. Whenever I leave for a match my wife gives me the following brief — stand up straight, shoot the center of every target, and leave on steel, die on steel.

User Tag List