Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

Started off my session today, zeroing a CZ .22 bolt,with a suppressor, at 50 yards. Good practice shooting ten shot one inch groups from slung prone. Then with the Q5 I started with Wayne's drill on eight inch steel at 50 yards. The good news is I got back my trigger control that I struggled with some yesterday. The bad news is I could not touch a single PR on the speed side.

I then got to help out a young man, visiting Alaska this summer, with his shooting. He had a G4 Glock 20 and some third tier AR. I decided to run him through part of Gabe's test, the two to the head, and two body/one head drills, as I thought they would be realistic in defending against a bear attack. I would demo each test, then run him through it. We repeated these wth AR. I had to remind him about the offset initially and continually. We then did some zero verification at 50 yards, and made a slight adjustment to his zero.

A few thoughts. the AR requires significantly less skill to place accurate shots at speed. He handled himself well, and safely, although you would not classify him as a highly skilled shooter by PF or USPSA standards. He had a lot of low hanging fruit to pick in manipulations -- like when he had a double feed with his AR and tried to clear it improperly. Also, didn't have good SA as to how many rounds were in his Glock 20, during a drill. Still, I would not want him shooting at me. This experience today reinforced to me the virtue of raw speed and accuracy. Accuracy for obvious reasons, but raw speed for dealing with someone with basic, approaching intermediate skills.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM I don't remember for sure but have you done any testing of the Glock MOS models with a red dot? If so could you offer any comparisons between the Q5 and the Glock? Any pros or cons that you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    @GJM I don't remember for sure but have you done any testing of the Glock MOS models with a red dot? If so could you offer any comparisons between the Q5 and the Glock? Any pros or cons that you remember?
    The Glock is easier to reload and the mags hold 22+1 with 140mm extensions. The Q5 is 21+1 with Taylor Freelance extensions. Both split well. I much prefer the Q5 trigger, and I like how you don't need to do anything but take the Q5 out of the box and bolt on the optic.

I am in lower 48 and starting to shoot USPSA again. It is so much fun! After spending the summer standing and shooting, I need to work on the movement part again.

Yesterday, I set up El Prez for the first time since spring, and worked speed. I had a bunch of mid to high four second runs, but without perfect hits. Today, I set it up again but on eight inch steel which forced accuracy discipline. Yesterday's hit factors were higher, despite some C's and even a D.

There are a couple Q5's around. No opportunities to shoot one yet but I like how they're set up. I'm shooting another Glock match next weekend and then I'm going to experiment a little bit. As practical as Glocks are I don't like them. I especially don't like them as an all around competition pistol. They do a lot of things okay for me but nothing that's exactly awe inspiring.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Walther update.

There is a new model, the Q4, which is essentially the Q5 in four inch form, with a black trigger and optics ready, without included optics plates.

http://www.carl-walther.de/produkte/...n/2825937.html

I will probably try one with a DP Pro and the Leupold rear sight in combination with a tall front sight to have BUIS.

I continue to love the Q5 and PPQ pistols, and they are all I want to shoot these days. I put HD sights from a PPS on a PPQ, and they are perfectly regulated, and delete the adjustable rear feature of the PPQ HD model. Dehorned the crap out of the rear HD sight.

Any idea when the Q4 will be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    Any idea when the Q4 will be available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Waiting to hear.

We need some Walther action. Here is a 4.65 El Prez from today:

And a draw one, reload one in 1.66, .58 draw, 1.08 load:

Didn’t get it on vid, but I had a .77 for draw and two to the A zone at 7 yards.

Hammertime
    The draw to first shot on that second video elicited a profanity from me!

User Tag List