Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

What guide rods and recoil springs are people using in these? I heard the Q5 is pretty over spring from the factory. What about base bass for production?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I wish I could get reliably get more than 20 rounds in my magazines.
    Out of curiosity, what issues have you had with extended mags?

I've been running the Taylor Freelance extensions on PPQ M1 mags in my P99. They have worked well for me so far, but I only have about 500 rounds through each of four extended mags. 21+1 normally, 22+1 with a P99c follower. I think I even squeezed 23 in with the P99c follower, but it wouldn't insert without the slide locked back.

25 yards. 10 rounds in 30s. I like it but I think I’ll stick with gen 5 glocks most likely.

Name:  44B044AD-14B4-45BD-AD79-42EFDF0C9000.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  21.4 KB
    Name:  C4D4A225-E60B-4574-BAC9-DE41E04E556E.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  33.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    21+1 normally, 22+1 with a P99c follower. I think I even squeezed 23 in with the P99c follower, but it wouldn't insert without the slide locked back.
    Interesting. I may have to try swapping a P99c follower into a P99 mag and see if I get 16 instead of 15. (No extended baseplates currently, but I've been considering either the Taylor Freelance or Springer Precision ones as an option for my indoor league in the winter, where I've been shooting Limited instead of Production.) Also curious what SW99c followers would allow - they don't have anti-tilt legs. Maybe the ultimate combo for capacity is SW99c follower in an original 16-round P99 mag plus an extended baseplate?
    Last edited by olstyn; 06-23-2018 at 02:23 PM.

More than 20 rounds in my 140mm mags with the Q5, and I have had some intermittent function issues with the first round fired cycling the next. After encountering this a few times in a match, I only load 20. Maybe a different follower and spring tweaking would fix it, but I haven’t messed with it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Just tried the follower swap dance, and I have this to report:

PPQ M1 mag with its own follower: no way are you getting more than 15 in there. It just will not happen.

PPQ M1 mag with P99c follower: 16 rounds *easily* fit - in fact, the 16th goes in easier than the 15th does with the "normal" follower.

PPQ M1 mag with SW99c follower: no-go; the top of the PPQ/P99 mag springs are slightly wider than the SW99c mag springs, and thus they will not fit into the SW99c follower. You might be able to make it work if you were to bend the top coil of the spring in order to make it fit, but I wasn't about to do that for experimental purposes.

I haven't validated how this works in the gun, as I just tried this out at home, but given that the P99c follower + P99/PPQ M1 mag combo seems to accept a 16th round more easily than the stock configuration allows, I think it's likely that it'll be easier to insert under a closed slide than it normally would be with 15.

I also tried the reverse - PPQ M1 follower in P99c mag, and found that, as I expected, instead of the normal 10, capacity was reduced to 9. Side by side comparison of the followers reveals that the PPQ/P99 follower's legs are significantly longer than the P99c follower's. I didn't measure, but I'd guess it's right around 3/8" difference, which, since the follower seems to be contacting the baseplate when the mag is fully loaded, easily explains the capacity change. It would seem that you could achieve the same effect by trimming down the legs on the stock follower. What remains to be seen is whether the additional compression when loaded with 16 rounds results in either less reliability or shorter spring life or both. Since I primarily shoot Production at the moment, I'll leave that to someone else to figure out, but it's interesting to know what the source of the capacity limitation is.
    Last edited by olstyn; 06-23-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: punctuation error

Drank the Q5 koolaid. Ordered 1 today. With the LE priced models, it was too good to pass up. Holster’s ordered as well. Now I just need to order some extra mags. Looking forward to getting this.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Officially on the Q-wagon now. Just need to get RMR on and waiting on some more mags so I can shoot CO.

Name:  B2C53FA5-BFC2-4294-99D7-E43DCFC7D098.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  43.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

A DP Pro is way, way better to game with.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A DP Pro is way, way better to game with.
    I know. But I have the RMR already. It’s probably gonna end up with a shield RDS on it since I have one of those as well. Just doesn’t come with a Shield plate.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List