Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

What do mag prices look like? Can't find any online.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What do mag prices look like? Can't find any online.

About $35 at Midway, but in CO you don't need many.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So tempted to get one for Carry Optics. Right now running a 17 MOS with Delta Point Pro and Magpul 21rd mags. Could put the 17 in the nightstand and then put the delta point pro on the Q5. First World Problems.

I love both of my Walther PPQs. I got one of the 5" models for Production like 2 years ago well before they announced the Q5. I've been contemplating selling my 5" to get one of these instead so I can do Carry Optics but I'm a GSSF member and I can get a Glock 19 MOS for way way less than I can get one of these and 140mm Glock mags are much cheaper... but this is still very tempting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be a rear sight? Do you only need a cowitnessing front? Or is the idea to use the BUIS that comes with the DP Pro?

My Vortex has two vertical white stripes on the rear of the RDS and I suspect that with just a tall front sight, I might be able to get away with no extra tall rear...at least for gaming purposes. For carry...well that's a different ball game.
    I have both Vortex Venoms and Vortex Vipers on different PPQs. I have put a single white line on the Vipers and use the dual lines on the Venoms. I got a taller Dawson Precision front sight and it works fine as backup sights. You can get use to the lollipop pretty fast.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynskey View Post
    ...Supposedly, the Viper will also fit on the Docter plate...
    It does, as my wife discovered as she decided the Q5 would be her new pistol.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I miss the old mag release
    I have virtually replaced all my M2s (button) with M1 (paddle) lowers. Direct replacement. After selling the M2s, cost around $100 to have paddles.

I shot the Q5 again yesterday. What distinguishes the Q5 is the trigger. And not how light it is, but how forgiving it is. Shots that I would have deflected to the edge of the C/D line on 25 or 30 yard Bill drills with the Glock, were on the edge of, but inside the A zone with the Walther.

Interestingly, both my wife and I would prefer if the Q5 kept its grip angle, which indexes the dot naturally, but gave up the "ergo" grip, and instead used flat sides like the Glock. That said, this gun securely mounts the optic, is reliable, is accurate, and the trigger plain makes harder shooting tasks easier than with a Glock trigger. I like it enough, I bought a second one yesterday.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I love both of my Walther PPQs. I got one of the 5" models for Production like 2 years ago well before they announced the Q5. I've been contemplating selling my 5" to get one of these instead so I can do Carry Optics but I'm a GSSF member and I can get a Glock 19 MOS for way way less than I can get one of these and 140mm Glock mags are much cheaper... but this is still very tempting.
    All manufacturers provide specs for milling for their optics. I have been milling Walthers for some time now. I just finished making a jig for my turn table to more easily set up Walther slides for optics that have curved faces. Just did two Leupold DP Pros that have the front curvature. One was a 5 inch and one was a 4 inch. You should be able to take the 5" to a decent machinist to have it milled. That slide steel is tough, really need to use carbide end mills.

Because of this I am changing my Q5 back to open sights because they are adjustable. I don't know if I will mill my 5" because the 4"s are just so easy to shoot and I feel just as accurate because of the optic.

Also, when you mill a slide the optic sits lower. The cut I take is about 0.140". My final length cut is done with the exact optic I am installing so it is close to an interference fit.

And for backup sights, very easy to mill for a rear sight in front of the optic or, like I do, have a lollipop setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    All manufacturers provide specs for milling for their optics. I have been milling Walthers for some time now. I just finished making a jig for my turn table to more easily set up Walther slides for optics that have curved faces. Just did two Leupold DP Pros that have the front curvature. One was a 5 inch and one was a 4 inch. You should be able to take the 5" to a decent machinist to have it milled. That slide steel is tough, really need to use carbide end mills.

Because of this I am changing my Q5 back to open sights because they are adjustable. I don't know if I will mill my 5" because the 4"s are just so easy to shoot and I feel just as accurate because of the optic.

Also, when you mill a slide the optic sits lower. The cut I take is about 0.140". My final length cut is done with the exact optic I am installing so it is close to an interference fit.

And for backup sights, very easy to mill for a rear sight in front of the optic or, like I do, have a lollipop setup.
    There is a great gunsmith locally and he has done several installs of red dots on PPQs. Dude is great. But being the practical person I am part of it comes down to cost. If I have to spend $200+ to get a slide cut might as well sell the 5" PPQ and get the Q5 because the overall cost will be about the same.

Your observation on the 4" vs 5" is part of what's holding me back on the Q5 too. I noticed that in generally I prefer the balance on a shorter gun and the extra barrel length and sight radius doesn't actually make me any more accurate. I came to realize I prefer the 4" PPQ and so when thinking about making a gun to shoot the Cary Optics division in USPSA I was leaning towards a Glock 19 instead of the 17 or the Q5 for that reason too.

User Tag List