Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PPQ Q5

I think I mentioned in the APX thread, that I had gotten down into the high .80's for a draw and two shots to the A zone at 7 yards with my Q5/DeltaPoint Pro carry optics rig. That was relaxed, warmed up and over a several day period.

When someone says something like that, that is out there performance wise, I think it should be perfectly reasonable on PF to say "I want to see that." I brought my phone to the range today, as I wanted to video shooting the Benelli M2, and figured I would see about the two shot Q5 deal for video. Interestingly, just having to do it on demand for the camera, created a bunch of tension compared to my warmed up, happy place. This is with iron sights, which is a tad slower for me than the DP Pro.

This is the timer from the last run.

Name:  IMG_2216.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  32.9 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM is the Q5 your full time gamer gun now or are you still shooting something else too? I seem to remember you saying you gamed a CZ of some sort? I haven't shot one yet but the Q5 seems really nice out of the box with plenty of holster options, easy to get magazines, etc.

My inability to shoot Glocks well continues to irritate me. I just haven't found another 5" striker gun yet that I would consider buying. If the VP9L ever shows up I would be really tempted.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    @GJM is the Q5 your full time gamer gun now or are you still shooting something else too? I seem to remember you saying you gamed a CZ of some sort? I haven't shot one yet but the Q5 seems really nice out of the box with plenty of holster options, easy to get magazines, etc.

My inability to shoot Glocks well continues to irritate me. I just haven't found another 5" striker gun yet that I would consider buying. If the VP9L ever shows up I would be really tempted.
    Right now, I shoot the Q5 better than anything else. I am not gaming again until fall, but the plan is to run the Q5. The Q5 is literally a pistol that you can take out of the box and it is ready to run. I highly recommend it. My wife says it is the only pistol besides a Glock that interests her for game style shooting.

I have been messing around with other stuff, but am starting to focus on the Walther again. Got to the range this afternoon, put up a fresh target, and shot one five shot group cold, offhand at 35 yards. Q5 with iron sights, PMC 115 ball, no aiming point on the cardboard other than my perception of the center of the A zone.

Name:  IMG_7383.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  41.7 KB

I plan to shoot Carry Optics with the Q5, when I get down to lower 48. However, if I shot Production, it would also be with the Q5.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I plan to shoot Carry Optics with the Q5, when I get down to lower 48. However, if I shot Production, it would also be with the Q5.
    <<< has two awesome HK pistols to trade for your Shadow 2
    Last edited by YVK; 08-21-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Had a massive PR practice session this afternoon with the Q5/DP Pro. Had very low expectations, as we tried to go land on ridges to hunt caribou/bear, and got repulsed because of wind and rough air, making landing unsafe where we wanted to land, and I was jostled and tired.

Temp was 61F, no rain, no bugs. Warmed up, I got three draws to the A at 7 yards in the .50's -- .59, .56, .56. Then two to the A in the 70's, and several runs of four aces (draw shoot two, reload, shoot two at 7) in the 2.20's. Followed it up with a walk back on the eight inch steel to 80 yards.

Did I say I really like the Walther. Now I need to see if I can repeat this a few days in a row. The funny thing is the last few days I have been dry firing a lot, but without even wearing a holster -- just holding the Q5 (irons and dot) against a wall and seeing how fast I can press the trigger without disturbing alignment.

So I had this unusual session just now.

Light rain, 50's, kind of gray, and I went down to shoot some LEM stuff. First I shot my HK45C. Very reliable, accurate and space efficient, but really slow to shoot compared to other stuff. Then I shot a USP FS .40. Easier to shoot than the 45C, and every HK fan ought to have one, given they can be bought used for $400, and they are a purpose built .40. After 75 rounds or so, I started to fatigue when doing precise shooting at speed, like Garcia dots. I had to work hard to not hit a little low and left, by concentrating throughout the press, which is longer than many triggers.

Frankly, I was a little dejected, and decided to shoot this four inch PPQ I just got. It really was a lot easier to shoot, and feeling more positive, I decided to see what I could do. I shot some Bill drills, and a 1.67 popped up clean, which is definitely a PR for me. Followed this with some low 1.70's runs. Almost had this feeling that I was watching me shoot the Bill drill from aside or above. Shot some four Aces in the low 2.30's held back only by my reload. Then for fun, I decided to shoot a few FAST (no concealment) runs, and let it rip. I did a 2.92 and 2.96, with a body shot an inch out. Reload was a fairly slow 1.50 (need to practice slide stop reloads) but my two to the 3x5 were .94 (.70 and .20). I worked part of Gabe's test, and got the 2B/1H into the low 1.20's. Finished with a .56 draw at 7 to the A home and called her done for the day.

I shoot the PPQ pistols so much better and consistently than anything else, I need to think on the trade offs between performance and perceived safety.

I need to pick up a few of these to see how I do. That's impressive shooting!

Those are some impressive numbers, George!

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    I need to pick up a few of these to see how I do. That's impressive shooting!
    Until Sept 15 there is a PPQ $100 rebate, making them quite reasonable.

User Tag List