Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Gabe White: Pistol Shooting Solutions - Watkinsville, GA April 1st, 2nd

AAR: Gabe White: Pistol Shooting Solutions - Watkinsville, GA April 1st, 2nd

Gabe White: Pistol Shooting Solutions, April 1st and 2nd 2017, Watkinsville, GA

First off, thanks to Gabe for his willingness to share his knowledge and experience in an excellent, understandable way. Thanks also to those who worked to pull this off logistically (JLW and Karmapolice). Finally, thank you to all of the students in this class for showing up with a high level of excellence in skill, mindset, and gear, such that we were all able to keep the class moving at a quick and safe pace through multiple high level exercises.

I won’t try to go into detail about what exactly you’ll learn in this class for the following 2 reasons: 1, I believe it robs Gabe of the opportunity to deliver his message in his own wonderful way; and 2, what I got out of the class is likely to be very different than what you would get out of the class based on our different experience levels and frames of reference. Instead, I’ll share some of the things that I believe set Gabe’s class apart from anything I (and most others I’ve talked to about it) have ever taken before.

First and most unique is that Gabe absolutely WORKS HIS ASS OFF as an instructor. While we were grabbing water and topping off mags, he was moving targets, barrels, etc so literally we just show up and start putting in good reps on the next exercise. Every other class I’ve taken (indluding from big name instructors) has consisted of “Ok, go paste up a new B8 center and we’ll work on the next drill.” Gabe was running around working literally all day both days. You can tell that Gabe really cares about the quality, not just of his material, but in the way he’s conveying the material. In the same vein, Gabe’s precision of language is excellent. He doesn’t throw around industry slang or jargon. He presents a concept in a way that makes it easy to understand, apply to a problem, and then execute. After each explanation, he offered an opportunity for questions, but rarely was one asked because Gabe had done such a great job of explaining it already so no clarification was needed.

The second big standout was the number of reps we got on the exercises. There was very little stand around and talk/lecture in Gabe’s class. There was enough talking to convey the lesson to be learned, but then very quickly it was time to execute; and execute over and over and over again. Gabe encouraged us to execute at a couple of levels too: push yourself to see just how fast you really can do it. The trick is, you still have to do it. So, it’s a controlled push, but still a push to the edge of and perhaps just outside of your comfort zone. Then, there was a clearly-defined, “ok, now that we’ve pushed, let’s dial it back to your on-demand level.” The cool thing was that on multiple occasions, we now had a new, better “on-demand level” because we had not just pushed it, but had pushed it while still keeping the care to execute all of the components (draw, grip, sights, trigger, movement, etc) at the required levels. In other words, “push it” on a Bill Drill DOES NOT mean ignore sights and slap the shit out of your trigger. What it might mean is that you don’t need to wait for the front sight to stop on the target, but instead it has recovered “well enough” to go ahead and break the next shot with a high degree of certainty that it will be a hit. At some point, the only way you’re going to figure out where your “on demand” and “pushing it” levels are is to just go do it; and we got to do it in class, under the supervision of someone who has mastered these things. By contrast, most of the other classes I’ve seen consist of introducing a drill, shooting it 2-3 times and then the instructor saying something like, “ok, now go work that when you get home.”

Now that I’ve shared things about the class overall that were excellent and set it apart, I’ll delve into more specifics of my experience and observations:

We had 14 total students. Everyone shot a 9x19. Most shot Glocks 19, 17, 34. There was also a P30, a couple VP9’s, a P320, A PX4 Langdon Special and a Wilson 1911 in 9x19 (sorry if I forgot anyone). I shot a Gen 4 Glock 17 from a JM V3 IWB holster worn at 3 o’clock. I shot between 900-1,000 rounds over the course of the two days. I think others had pretty similar round counts. Over 600 of those were on day 1. By the end of day 1 I had a nice burn on my right side and my strong hand middle finger knuckle was painfully familiar with the Glock trigger guard. I was pleased with how my gear performed. The one gear lesson I did learn is that under-shirts and multiple Strongside IWB reps don’t match very well. Early on day 1, I attempted to execute a draw, got a bit of undershirt mixed up in my draw and ended up tossing my pistol into the dirt a few feet in front of me. It was an embarrassing and scary experience. Gabe handled it with grace and professionalism. I was 100% sure I was about to be sent home. Instead, Gabe called the line cold, ensured everyone was safe and that the pistol had not discharged, picked it up, handed it back to me and asked me to re-holster. He then expressed that “this is why we use drop-safe pistols,” and recommended I lose the undershirt, which I did.

In terms of performance I was able to earn a Dark Pin. Overall, of the 8 exercises fired for score, I managed 5 Dark Pin runs, 2 Light Pin runs, and had one run with a Mike. Initially I was a little disappointed with this. When I had run the exercises in practice a few times prior to the class, I had scored a number of Light Pin times and had hoped/expected to walk away with a Light Pin. However, the reality of the situation is that practice lacks the pressure of being tested in class surrounded by excellent shooters all watching you. Additionally, it’s easy in practice to remember the good runs and quickly forget the bad ones. So ultimately, I’m proud to own my performance as an on-demand, no-BS Dark Pin level shooter. I’ve also come away with some things to work on to improve my skill set and therefore performance moving forward. For the class overall I believe there were 5 light pins and 8 dark pins awarded. All but 2 of the shooters in the class are Pistol-Forum.com members.

In summary, this was far and away the best training experience I’ve ever had. Again a big thank you to the instructor, Gabe White, the hosts, and the excellent group of students. It was an honor and privilege to train with you all. If you get the opportunity to train with Gabe, I strongly recommend you take advantage of it. Heck, it’s well worth selling an extra pistol or something to cover the cost if that’s what it takes. What you’ll learn is THAT invaluable.

Here’s a video of a head-to-head shooting on the run competitive exercise from day 2. I’m the shooter on the right. If you’d told me I’d be able to hit 1/4 scale steel at 10 yds on the run before this class, I’d have called you crazy. It’s Gabe’s ability to break down a solution to the component level and then built it back up and apply it to a problem that allows you to execute things like this:

Last edited by ASH556; 04-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I hated to miss this one but it sounded like y'all had an excellent weekend (and you certainly had great weather!). Thanks for taking the time to write up and share your AAR Ash556!

Hopefully we can get Gabe back in the Atlanta area soon.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Thanks ASH556. Appreciate the report. I'm with Jason F, I hate that I missed this (live less than an hour away). I've been kicking myself for months!

Friends:

I think I was the only student to fly in from out of town for this class, but it was worth the trip. I’m sure you all will write epic AARs, so I’ll just note a few takeaway points. Mr White articulated these points in a way I had not learned before.

Human performance studies are very instructive. Any unskilled person—or bad-guy—who randomly picks up a gun can point it at a target very quickly, and fire rounds very quickly. His full natural speed might be a one-second draw with perhaps a quarter second between shots. This would be true even after sustaining a mortal heart wound—which would take perhaps half a minute to turn out the lights, certainly plenty of time to empty a couple of magazines. A good-guy shooter is encumbered by his ethics and desire to hit accurately. As such, he is much slower. A highly skilled shooter can shoot ethically and accurately, but at his full natural speed. This is our goal.

We should watch a sight movie, not just sight pictures. In our minds, we are shooting “carefully or aggressively” rather than “slowly or quickly.” After all, slow isn't necessarily accurate, and fast isn't necessarily inaccurate.

There is an eye exercise that I’ll need to explore. Mr White can shift his focus point at will between target distance and front sight distance. He has cultivated this skill and it has helped him shoot better.

Mr White talked about many ideas with respect to use of cover and maneuvering, and much of the class explored this. I think some of these ideas will form the basis an Advanced class. He has a default move that he has practiced at length: Drop low, take off running to the right or left, draw and shoot accurately while on the run. This is a powerful move which I will also practice. I can imagine it is difficult for a badguy to counter.

Mr White is an excellent instructor. He is a regular guy with a regular day job. His shooting skill comes from his personal interest and pursuit. In this, he is just like the rest of of us. Moreover, he is clearly experienced in running a shooting class smoothly, and he has good grasp of adult learning. I’ll look forward to taking more of his classes.

Poplin, I think this is an excellent summation of the key points.

I'd like to add what Mr. White said about not slowing down but exercising more care when shooting. There is a psychological impact from saying one needs to slow down to make more accurate hits vs exercising more care. This really struck a cord with me. It takes fractions of a second to clean up a sight picture and you don't really need to slow down your entire process to accomplish this. I can't say enough good things about this class and the people I was fortunate enough to train with.
    Last edited by Mike C; 04-03-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poplin View Post
    Friends:

I think I was the only student to fly in from out of town for this class, but it was worth the trip. I’m sure you all will write epic AARs, so I’ll just note a few takeaway points. Mr White articulated these points in a way I had not learned before.

Human performance studies are very instructive. Any unskilled person—or bad-guy—who randomly picks up a gun can point it at a target very quickly, and fire rounds very quickly. His full natural speed might be a one-second draw with perhaps a quarter second between shots. This would be true even after sustaining a mortal heart wound—which would take perhaps half a minute to turn out the lights, certainly plenty of time to empty a couple of magazines. A good-guy shooter is encumbered by his ethics and desire to hit accurately. As such, he is much slower. A highly skilled shooter can shoot ethically and accurately, but at his full natural speed. This is our goal.

We should watch a sight movie, not just sight pictures. In our minds, we are shooting “carefully or aggressively” rather than “slowly or quickly.” After all, slow isn't necessarily accurate, and fast isn't necessarily inaccurate.

There is an eye exercise that I’ll need to explore. Mr White can shift his focus point at will between target distance and front sight distance. He has cultivated this skill and it has helped him shoot better.

Mr White talked about many ideas with respect to use of cover and maneuvering, and much of the class explored this. I think some of these ideas will form the basis an Advanced class. He has a default move that he has practiced at length: Drop low, take off running to the right or left, draw and shoot accurately while on the run. This is a powerful move which I will also practice. I can imagine it is difficult for a badguy to counter.

Mr White is an excellent instructor. He is a regular guy with a regular day job. His shooting skill comes from his personal interest and pursuit. In this, he is just like the rest of of us. Moreover, he is clearly experienced in running a shooting class smoothly, and he has good grasp of adult learning. I’ll look forward to taking more of his classes.
    I don't know how many open enrollment classes there are out there with this "target package" but based on conversations with a CO alum who has trained all over, I think it's few to none.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Poplin View Post

shoot ethically and accurately,
    Sir,

Consider this fair notice that I am appropriating the above quoted phrase for use in my classes.

--------

"Ethically" is a great way to describe a point Gabe made over and over again. "Firing an accurate shot downrange is less likely to injure innocent people than firing a lot of rounds down range." (paraphrased)
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Sir,

Consider this fair notice that I am appropriating the above quoted phrase for use in my classes.

--------

"Ethically" is a great way to describe a point Gabe made over and over again. "Firing an accurate shot downrange is less likely to injure innocent people than firing a lot of rounds down range." (paraphrased)
    I think Gabe covered the accountability of every shot in every lecture segment.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Great write up ASH, thanks for taking the time to post it.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

There were many things that I liked, and I'm sure I will comment on more of them.

In particular the notion of technical excellence was emphasized repeatedly. Specifically, the ability to make precise shots at speed, yet also taking the care to place a smaller number of shots where they needed to go, and to minimize the potential for stray shots to do harm. This is a simple yet powerful concept and one that I had not considered adequately.

Sute, I am fast to launch a 6 shot Bill Drill to the chest (lower A-zone/8" circle), static or moving at a target, but am I holding myself accountable for every stray shot? Could I have put a more considered shot or two into the upper A zone or 3x5 area with just a little more visual patience?

We did a drill where we wre puttling body shots on a 15 yard target from many possible intermixed firing positions behind cover. In general I was able to put 90+% of the shots into the 8" circle, but sure enough there was that little comma shaped shot pattern low left where I wasn't being patient enough and snatchign the trigger a tad and more likely coming off target just a little too early on the second shot. Gabe spotting this immediately and gave me exactly the gentle correction I needed early in the drill and I was able to keep virtually all the remaining shots on target while using cover carefully and exposing myself minimally and for the shortest time required.

Sure I've shot my share of IDPA, but frankly this felt more like my old paintball days where I KNEW there would be incoming accurate rounds and an opponent who would be all to happy to take advantage of any and every opportunity provided. I wasn't gaming it, but honestly trying to apply all of my technical shooting skills and past experience to make the most of the drill. Gabe just made me WANT to shot it that way and I was proud of the way in which I was able to perform in that particular drill.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List