Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Dobbs Interview

I have no where near the experience of Wayne but I had a light bulb moment when shooting with SLG. I thought I was "good" when shooting eight inch circles because the hits were in and the time looked "fast". Man was I in for a rude awakening when accuracy was put first and those circles shrunk.. Biggest target I use now is a six inch circle, most of the time I use a 2 inch dots or 1 inch squares..

Hmm. Well, I'll play devil's advocate on the last few posts.

Maybe it sounds this way in my mind because I am more accurate than I am fast. Low probability targets, are no issue for me, but I cannot simply step on the pedal and match Gabe's speed for example.

If I understood correctly, most people will take the flight option when a firearm is presented or shots are fired. If the bad guy stays to fight, most winners are determined by who lands the first hit first.

Determined attackers may not stop immediately, even through the heart, and require a CNS stoppage.

To me.. it sounds better to get a few rounds on target (center mass-ish) as fast as you can. If the attacker does not drop or flee, immediately transition to the head.

My thought process changes slightly when cover is available.

Thoughts Wayne? I'm ok being wrong and will adjust training accordingly.
    Last edited by GAP; 04-10-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have no where near the experience of Wayne but I had a light bulb moment when shooting with SLG. I thought I was "good" when shooting eight inch circles because the hits were in and the time looked "fast". Man was I in for a rude awakening when accuracy was put first and those circles shrunk.. Biggest target I use now is a six inch circle, most of the time I use a 2 inch dots or 1 inch squares..
    I mostly use B8s and 2/1" dots because I get more targets per piece of printer paper. Saves me some time standing around & looking over my shoulder at the office printer....

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Hmm. Well, I'll play devil's advocate on the last few posts.

Maybe it sounds this way in my mind because I am more accurate than I am fast. Low probability targets, are no issue for me, but I cannot simply step on the pedal and match Gabe's speed for example.

If I understood correctly, most people will take the flight option when a firearm is presented or shots are fired. If the bad guy stays to fight, most winners are determined by who lands the first hit first.

Determined attackers may not stop immediately, even through the heart, and require a CNS stoppage.

To me.. it sounds better to get a few rounds on target (center mass-ish) as fast as you can. If the attacker does not drop or flee, immediately transition to the head.

My thought process changes slightly when cover is available.

Thoughts Wayne? I'm ok being wrong and will adjust training accordingly.

You misunderstanding my post. My first round to target is still under 1.9 seconds for most shots. The goal is to balance your speed with adequate hits. 1.9 is the high end, my goal is to Match the speed I had on 8 inch circles to 5 to 6 inch circles.

psalms144.1--well done!

Most agencies would be far better off practicing with a horizontal 3x5" card for the head (5 points) and a vertical 4x6" card for the chest (3 points) with 1 point for on body, 0 points off body.

Something like this is very good using the same scoring (5 points for head box/3 points for chest circle/1 point elsewhere within body).

Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

You misunderstanding my post. My first round to target is still under 1.9 seconds for most shots. The goal is to balance your speed with adequate hits. 1.9 is the high end, my goal is to Match the speed I had on 8 inch circles to 5 to 6 inch circles.
    I didn't misunderstand. I am just not sure a balance comes into play with taking a bullet.

If you have to draw on a drawn gun that extra half of a second might mean you lose. I don't know it's really hypothetical, but if most attackers run away then it seems like the faster the shot the better. And for those who will fight through non-lethal hits you need to transition to the head anyways.

I didn't misunderstand. I am just not sure a balance comes into play with taking a bullet.

If you have to draw on a drawn gun that extra half of a second might mean you lose. I don't know it's really hypothetical, but if most attackers run away then it seems like the faster the shot the better. And for those who will fight through non-lethal hits you need to transition to the head anyways.
    Our assumptions are backwards. I assume I am going to fight someone of higher or equal skill, that means I need to get solid lethal hits to the chest. I also agree that if he is still a threat and the shot is there (I am assuming your going off the assumption of a close fight) I will go for the head. Just so we're clear, there is a difference between making noise/shitty hits and making solid hits that stop a fight.

I knew this shit in the military, no idea why I thought pistol was difference.
    Good video from guys with way more experience than me:
    https://youtu.be/VxDtKHe21-g
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-10-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Our assumptions are backwards. I assume I am going to fight someone of higher or equal skill, that means I need to get solid lethal hits to the chest. I also agree that if he is still a threat and the shot is there (I am assuming your going off the assumption of a close fight) I will go for the head. Just so we're clear, there is a difference between making noise/shitty hits and making solid hits that stop a fight.

I knew this shit in the military, no idea why I thought pistol was difference.
    Good video from guys with way more experience than me:
    https://youtu.be/VxDtKHe21-g
    I am only talking about common self-defense occurrences that would happen within a car length.

Slowing down and making good hits with some distance or cover is assumed.

I am only talking about common self-defense occurrences that would happen within a car length.

Slowing down and making good hits with some distance or cover is assumed.
    So am I.. I want solid lethal hits at any distance. What is ur difference in speed when making good shots and lousy shots?

So am I.. I want solid lethal hits at any distance. What is ur difference in speed when making good shots and lousy shots?
    Is a hit on a 8" circle a "lousy shot" by your definition? If I'm inside of 5 yards I don't see how taking extra time would be beneficial. That's why I asked. The message in the video was that most will run away or drop, the others require head shots. I guess I don't subscribe to the thought of just standing there and absorbing bullets as you get a perfect aimed shot.

When I say I'm "more accurate than fast," I am comparing myself to ultra-fast people.

I still pull off Failure to stop and immediate incompacitation Drills in under two seconds concealed from 7 yards..

3x5 index cards are pretty small targets.
    Last edited by GAP; 04-10-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: iPad changes my words

User Tag List