Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wayne Dobbs Interview

Wayne Dobbs Interview

Here's a couple links to watch Wayne Dobbs as he is interviewed by Baraka James, Allen Sams, and Karie Thomas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVmvwW5FwU

http://firearmsradio.tv/civilian-car...cal-shooting-2

I especially liked Wayne's comments about the importance of getting our wives, daughters, and other ladies more involved in shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Groen View Post
    Here's a couple links to watch Wayne Dobbs as he is interviewed by Baraka James, Allen Sams, and Karie Thomas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEVmvwW5FwU

http://firearmsradio.tv/civilian-car...cal-shooting-2

I especially liked Wayne's comments about the importance of getting our wives, daughters, and other ladies more involved in shooting.
    Just not all at once.

Very cool, thanks for posting this link, Keith.

I found his interview excellent and he addressed some points I've long wondered about.

Thanks for posting this interview. I found it very informative and definitely took away a few things to think about. Time to add HiTS to my list of folks to train with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

That was a great interview. Some of us are lucky enough to have Wayne Dobbs & Darryl Bolke within a 30 minute drive when it comes time to take a course.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Would love to take a HiTS class. Definitely on my radar for when my schedule frees up a little bit.

Speaking of which, the anatomy discussion was fun. Having never actually witnessed a shooting I can't comment on what people do or do not do when they get shot, but he's right to critique the very generous IDPA/USPSA metric style target as being unrealistic for representing what constitutes an incapacitating hit. Might be slightly better if you only counted the A zone/-0, but even that is pretty damn generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Would love to take a HiTS class. Definitely on my radar for when my schedule frees up a little bit.

Speaking of which, the anatomy discussion was fun. Having never actually witnessed a shooting I can't comment on what people do or do not do when they get shot, but he's right to critique the very generous IDPA/USPSA metric style target as being unrealistic for representing what constitutes an incapacitating hit. Might be slightly better if you only counted the A zone/-0, but even that is pretty damn generous.
    While true to my very limited understanding is there a point where the realistic target size would be impractical to the point of those competitive series and with hit rates in defensive shootings what they are with entire human bodies considered a hit should the focus be balanced with practical application?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    While true to my very limited understanding is there a point where the realistic target size would be impractical to the point of those competitive series and with hit rates in defensive shootings what they are with entire human bodies considered a hit should the focus be balanced with practical application?
    My brain is a little frazzled so I may not have understood your post correctly, but yes you can definitely be too reductivist and that's not a good use of your time. You don't need to be aiming to hit the right atrium or aortic isthmus or something silly like that. However, the USPSA A zone is 6" x 12" which is way too generous, particularly as it descends inferiorly. At that point you're hitting lung or maybe diaphragm. I remember the very first GSWs I ever saw were on the same day - one guy hit ~ 2" above the left nipple, the other ~4" below. The difference was night and day. First guy ended up geting his chest cracked & being pronounced in the OR; 2nd guy was hemodynamically intact and complaining about not having enough blankets.

In my mind the best compromise is to simply teach it like you would CPR - you push hard and fast over the center of the sternum. I think Wayne's decision to use the 5.5" NRA B8 target is a perfectly reasonable one. That is roughly the size of the human heart + the arch & root of the aorta/great vessels/pulmonary hilum. As an aside, if you want to get a sense for the size/location of your own heart, take your R. hand and place it with the palm roughly on the center of your breast plate, index/middle finger should be pointed at your L. nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My brain is a little frazzled so I may not have understood your post correctly, but yes you can definitely be too reductivist and that's not a good use of your time. You don't need to be aiming to hit the right atrium or aortic isthmus or something silly like that. However, the USPSA A zone is 6" x 12" which is way too generous, particularly as it descends inferiorly. At that point you're hitting lung or maybe diaphragm. I remember the very first GSWs I ever saw were on the same day - one guy hit ~ 2" above the left nipple, the other ~4" below. The difference was night and day. First guy ended up geting his chest cracked & being pronounced in the OR; 2nd guy was hemodynamically intact and complaining about not having enough blankets.

In my mind the best compromise is to simply teach it like you would CPR - you push hard and fast over the center of the sternum. I think Wayne's decision to use the 5.5" NRA B8 target is a perfectly reasonable one. That is roughly the size of the human heart + the arch & root of the aorta/great vessels/pulmonary hilum. As an aside, if you want to get a sense for the size/location of your own heart, take your R. hand and place it with the palm roughly on the center of your breast plate, index/middle finger should be pointed at your L. nipple.
    Your response seems to be on with part of what I was getting at. You and those more knowledgeable about human anatomy and experienced with damage to various parts of it are a valuable resource for putting things in perspective when it comes to hits,damage and responses to targeted areas. I think that should always be included. However what person being shot at and or hit in the torso solidly is going to be completely unaffected ? Yes there are people on drugs/alcohol or mentally in a state where they do not care about their life or well being or are enraged that sometimes they don't care. I also understand that many don't realize they have been hit or the seriousness of it but in the moment how likely is it to have no effect?

On a similar note if the hit rate for hitting a human anywhere on their body is 50% then is a focus at hitting a 6 inch diameter circle high center chest a reasonably practical objective for anyone but the most skilled?

I am not arguing what the hit ratio actually is other than to indicate it isn't 90%+ anywhere on a human threat in real shootings.

User Tag List