Thread: Favorite .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads

Favorite .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads

Anyone here have any favorite/suggested loads for .38 special and .357 magnum? In a recent thread about hunting revolvers, some favorite loads for the .44 Magnum were posted and it made me curious to know if anyone has the same or similar data for .38 special and .357 magnum.

Site Supporter
    Loads for hunting? I like the .357 but I'm not certain I'd be all for using one on a deer or a hog...

That said...I like 3.0gr of Clay's under a 148gr WC for a light .38 load.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 04-02-2017 at 07:55 PM.

The .38 loads I'm thinking of more as a practice round and maybe small game round. Something accurate with relatively low recoil. As far as the .357, I am interested in a hunting round. Could you elaborate on your hesitation to use it for deer hunting?

For the 38 Special, I think it's very difficult to beat the old standard 158 grain LSWC with a near-max amount of Bullseye. Very accurate, economical, and a very well established favorite for decades.

I'm a huge fan of the 357 magnum and shoot it a lot, but my loads are usually intended for defensive style practice, and are either fire-breathing 125 grain JHP's (with a max load of Power Pistol or AA #9), or more sedate 158 grain LSWC rounds more in the 1100 fps range (usually with a medium load of AA #7).

I don't hunt deer anymore, but I do load 158 grain JHP bullets from time to time. I've had good accuracy with a near-max load of AA #9 with that load.

Never had a problem with leading with either of the 158 grain LSWC loads referenced above.

I'm hesitant to list actual grains of powder, because I don't want a typo to cause you problems. However, if you check Accurate's and Alliant's websites, they'll give you "authorized" grain amounts of powder for the loads I mentioned above.
    Ordinary guy

Thanks for the info! I'll check out their websites for powder measurements.

Site Supporter
    I loaded some 158 grain Dardas cast 158 grain SWC .358 sized bullets into .38 cases using the max listed standard (non +P) charge of BE-86 from the company's data web page. 779 avg. FPS from a 2" M60 with a tight (.004) BCG and great accuracy for my purposes. BE-86 is becoming my favorite powder for the several handgun cartridges I load for. Sells locally for $21/lb.

38 Special.

3 grains Clays for 148 grain Wadcutters.

3 grains Clays for 158 grain SWCs.
    Last edited by Lost River; 04-05-2017 at 08:39 PM.

User Tag List