Thread: .44 handloads Chrono (from Paul D) results! :)

.44 handloads Chrono (from Paul D) results! :)

So I was the very very lucky recipient of PaulD's Karma drawing for the Competitive Edge Dynamics M2 Chronograph.

I had a couple of scheduling and weather issues that kept hosing me, but this morning I was finally able to get out for a while and get some 44 magnum rounds down range through the screens.

Instead of running my favorite 5" N Frames, I chose to run a 4" Model 29 and a 7.5" Magnaported Redhawk. I figured this would allow others to get a better idea what these loads may run in their .44s of varying barrel lengths.

The loads tested were as follows:

185 grain full profile wadcutters, pushed by 10 grains Unique.

240 grain RNL (Round Nose Lead), with 8.5 grains Unique.

240 grain SWC (lead Semi Wadcutter) with 10 grains Unique.

For reference, I am at roughly 4,000 FT elevation, and it was around 50 degrees this morning during the test.

Each load was fired 12 times in both the 4" S&W and 7.5" Ruger.

4" Model 29:

240 grain RNL/8.5 grns Unique avg: 967 FPS

240 grain SWC/10 grns Unique avg: 1164 FPS

185 grain wadcutter/10 grns Unique avg: 1282 FPS

7.5" Redhawk:

240 grain RNL/8.5 grns Unique avg: 1093 FPS That is 126 FPS difference between the 4" and 7.5"

240 grain SWC/10 grns Unique avg: 1236 FPS That is 72 FPS difference between the 4" and 7.5"

185 grain wadcutter/10 grns Unique avg: 1372 FPS That is 90 FPS difference between the 4" and 7.5"

I was quite surprised at the wadcutter load speeds. I honestly did not think it was traveling that fast, as it has a rather mild recoil.

THANKS TO PAUL D!!!!

The contenders:

and the manaport:

I have to say that the weight of an RDO equipped Redhawk combined with the Magnaport makes for a super easy to shoot gun. Of course none of the loads tested are any kind of top end load.

Thanks for posting that data.

Aside - What is your impression of the Magna Port overall? I keep hearing mixed things about it. Some seem to experience noticeable improvement and others not much.

Very interesting, thanks for the report.

My load of 9 grs Unique/240-250 gr cast bullet had an intended velocity goal of 1000 fps, which it looks like its likely the case, give or take a bit for barrel length and individual guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    . Of course none of the loads tested are any kind of top end load.
    Yeah, but they are "enough" for damn near everything. I'd go after an elk, hunting in brushy country, with that 240 grain SWC/10 grns Unique load without any second thoughts. And I think it might be a better choice for trying to pop a big bear in the head than many of the more nuclear options out there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

^^ Good point. When I messed up my hand, all I could shoot for carry loads even several years later was the 9 gr load or a 10 gr load in 45 Colt in bear country. It didn't bother me much.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Thanks for posting that data.

Aside - What is your impression of the Magna Port overall? I keep hearing mixed things about it. Some seem to experience noticeable improvement and others not much.
    I have played with a few over the years.

One thing that I have noticed is that "effectiveness" seems to vary a bit between grip shapes.

What I mean by that is that single action revolvers, both standard plow handle and Bisley style grips seem to benefit from it more than traditional DA styles like the Redhawk and N Frames. With that said, I find I shoot (handle recoil and have more consistent accuracy) DA grip frames better. The combination of a DA grip frame and magnaporting seems to be a rather effective combo. Long story short, I am a fan of the system for the hard kickers.

I picked up this RH used, and the Magnaporting was already done. The combo was a pretty good bargain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I was quite surprised at the wadcutter load speeds. I honestly did not think it was traveling that fast, as it has a rather mild recoil.
    With 25% less weight and the same charge as the 240 SWC, it shouldn't be too surprising.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Thanks for sharing your load data. I can wait to try these out.

User Tag List