Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Area 1, USPSA

Talionis is 5th in PCC. It is such a pleasure to see him shoot. I think I'd enjoy seeing him shoot a muzzle loader. And a great dude just to talk to.

GJM is somewhere in mid 70% from Maxamundo, midway in the PCC stack. He took a hard fall with two stages left and we thought we'd have to medevac him. Instead, he shot two last stages on one leg, with other knee joint immobilized by a bandage, against my medical advice. Way to go, bud.

The Production crew mostly exercised its demons during this match. Cheby is somewhere in upper half to upper third, some 20 spots below where he belongs. I took a last place in Production. Not really but, other than the standards stage that GJM posted above, I certainly deserved to be there with my C-class level shit show of a 50% + performance.

That said, we all had a ton of fun. Great squad. Great match. I really wanted to take everyone who says that USPSA is hosing and have them shoot this match. Mini poppers at 20-25, partials at the same distance, partials with no shoots at the same distance, goddamn swingers. At some point we were chest bumping each other for just going through a stage at a decent pace without a mike. Nicely done by Ken Nelson and match crew.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am here in Saint George, UT, for the USPSA area 1 match. We have a fantastic squad, with a high percentage of PF members, and a very chill vibe that is conducive to good shooting and camaraderie. Some you will recognize include Talionis, Cheby, YVK and a PF lurker that I have known nearly 25 years.

Here is Talionis crushing the last stage of the day yesterday. He is on the HK team, and worthy of genuine HK inspired nuthuggery, shooting his MP5 derivative. He is very athletic and moves great, as my wife has pointed out after watching his videos previously.

Here I am shooting a stage with a prone port. Excuse the pun, but I called it "fear not the prone shot"

Here is YVK giving it to a standards stage:

At dinner last night, Talionis had his VP9, another bud his G19, YVK and I our Langdon specials, and the two unarmed guys each at least had pictures of guns on their shirts.
    3rd vid - damn those were some TIGHT shots!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We had a great time at the match. I am so impressed with how well Talionis moves, and how he can shoot that HK.

Talionis was videoing the stage I hurt my knee on. Maybe if it was IDPA, I would have gotten a bonus for "staying in the fight."

Ken Nelson runs a great area match, and without asking they sent down ice and an EMT to check me out. Turns out the EMT was a friend from shooting in Las Vegas, and he wrapped my knee so I could hobble through the last two stages.

The four hour drive home was no fun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Back in the fight and stayed in the fight. Hated hearing that "aaahhrrr" when you went down.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Many Tactical Timmy points for carrying on with the stage and match.

Looks like fun.

This was easily one of my favorite matches that I have shot to-date, in no small part due to shooting and hanging out with great guys like GJM, YVK, Cheby and the rest. I just got the SP5K ready to shoot about a week before this match, so I was kind of learning it as I went. I was pleasantly surprised to end up in the top 5 overall in PCC, which says a lot about how easy I find it to shoot that gun fast and accurately. I'm not positive, but I might even have gotten a match bump to M out of it, which is pretty cool.

I have shot with Cheby and YVK before, and can attest that they are both very competent shooters and truly excellent people to be around. I hadn't had a chance to shoot with GJM before, so it was great to finally do so. In case any are wondering, he can certainly shoot. He smoked me by about a second on the standards stage you can see YVK shooting in one of the above videos, and shot lots and lots of alphas over the course of the match. GJM also explained the proper method for shooting a charging bear, which will no doubt be very handy knowledge to have if I ever make it up to Alaska again.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    This was easily one of my favorite matches that I have shot to-date, in no small part due to shooting and hanging out with great guys like GJM, YVK, Cheby and the rest. I just got the SP5K ready to shoot about a week before this match, so I was kind of learning it as I went. I was pleasantly surprised to end up in the top 5 overall in PCC, which says a lot about how easy I find it to shoot that gun fast and accurately. I'm not positive, but I might even have gotten a match bump to M out of it, which is pretty cool.

I have shot with Cheby and YVK before, and can attest that they are both very competent shooters and truly excellent people to be around. I hadn't had a chance to shoot with GJM before, so it was great to finally do so. In case any are wondering, he can certainly shoot. He smoked me by about a second on the standards stage you can see YVK shooting in one of the above videos, and shot lots and lots of alphas over the course of the match. GJM also explained the proper method for shooting a charging bear, which will no doubt be very handy knowledge to have if I ever make it up to Alaska again.
    Excellent! And thanks for bringing in defensive bear shooting. I think every thread should at least touch on that! Seriously.

Your MP5 derivative, have it been covered in the GJM's long PCC thread already? (its long and I may have missed it). Is it any more simple to set up for this sort of shooting than the Sig/CZ/AR pattern guns which seem to be more tricky?

Congrats on the shooting, smokin fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Excellent! And thanks for bringing in defensive bear shooting. I think every thread should at least touch on that! Seriously.

Your MP5 derivative, have it been covered in the GJM's long PCC thread already? (its long and I may have missed it). Is it any more simple to set up for this sort of shooting than the Sig/CZ/AR pattern guns which seem to be more tricky?

Congrats on the shooting, smokin fast.
    Thanks! I agree that every thread is made better with discussion of defensive bear shooting.

I covered my MP5 briefly in GJM's PCC thread, but it is easy to overlook. When it comes to setting up a gun for competition, it can usually be as simple (or complex) as the individual wants to make it.

One could take a stock version of any of the guns you mentioned and compete with them, but they would all be far from an ideal setup to be competitive. Quite frankly, my MP5 derivative (it is officially an SP5K) is also not an ideal setup to be competitive yet, but in a different way. Most of the other guns need changes made to make them either reliable or flat shooting, or both. In the case of the SP5K, it needs neither of those since it is one of the most reliable and flat shooting options available. What it does need is investment in the required parts to legally convert it from a pistol into a rifle. Mine needed a new barrel (I opted for a PDW length tri-lug 5.5" barrel since I will eventually get my Form 1 approval back for this gun), a barrel extension pinned to the new barrel, a new front handguard since the one that comes with it does not work with the extended barrel, a red dot, an extended 40rd magazine, and a stock. It also needed various US made small parts to satisfy 922r requirements.
    Finally, the stock trigger really needed work, so I had that worked over by a gunsmith into a decent trigger.

All that leaves you with my gun as it stands. Very shootable, and obviously able to do well in competition, but with room for improvement. Next on the list of changes to make are an extended magazine release and possibly a magazine well to make reloading a bit easier, and an extended thumb safety so I don't have to contort my stubby thumb to deactivate it at the start of a stage.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We had a great time at the match. I am so impressed with how well Talionis moves, and how he can shoot that HK.

Talionis was videoing the stage I hurt my knee on. Maybe if it was IDPA, I would have gotten a bonus for "staying in the fight."

Ken Nelson runs a great area match, and without asking they sent down ice and an EMT to check me out. Turns out the EMT was a friend from shooting in Las Vegas, and he wrapped my knee so I could hobble through the last two stages.

The four hour drive home was no fun.
    That was a manly growl when you tweaked the knee; when I tore my medial meniscus, I was a few octaves higher.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    That was a manly growl when you tweaked the knee; when I tore my medial meniscus, I was a few octaves higher.
    Lol it was. I'm fretting on a med update from him since Sunday night.

User Tag List