Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Used M&P .45, What should I do?

Used M&P .45, What should I do?

I recently bought a used M&P .45 fullsize, and was wondering what I should proactively replace on it to ensure reliable functioning, seeing as I don't know what prior use it has seen. I was also wondering if I need to stick to OEM parts, or if I would get benefit out of aftermarket options. On that front I have a few specific questions.

One, what are peoples experience with the Wolff Steel Guide Rod and spring, specifically the heavier than factory springs in terms of recoil reduction and relaible function?

Two, The trigger on my example isn't bad, but I dislike the hinged in the middle style trigger that S&W uses, and if I where to replace it with something from Apex, is the FSS kit worth it over the simple trigger shoe replacement that they offer, or should I just leave it as is?

Three, my example has a magazine disconnect, how easy is it to remove? Do the disconnect versions use different parts, or can it be disabled without affecting anything else?

Also, this gun is pretty much just a range toy, and I have no intention of using it as a self-defense weapon. But I would still prefer it to be able to function in that capacity if necessary, so I don't want to go full race-gun with it. I was curious if it was possible to make it easier to shoot well,while also retaining reliability?

maybe a new OEM recoil spring assembly.

Since I just went through the M&P LE armorer course I feel qualified �� To answer some of your questions. This sear housing assembly will take out the magazine disconnect.
    http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...oducts_id=1104
    It's really simple to take out and replace. Speed shooters also has your recoil spring assembly and all the other parts you could possibly need.

Site Supporter
    Does the mag disconnect prevent your mags from dropping free?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    Since I just went through the M&P LE armorer course I feel qualified �� To answer some of your questions. This sear housing assembly will take out the magazine disconnect.
    http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...oducts_id=1104
    It's really simple to take out and replace. Speed shooters also has your recoil spring assembly and all the other parts you could possibly need.
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to look at some Youtube videos to see what it involves to switch it out. Whats your opinion on the Wolff guide rod and spring?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Does the mag disconnect prevent your mags from dropping free?

No it just prevents it from firing without the magazine inserted.

Also what would one recommend for sights? I was looking at the Vickers Elite Battlesight with the fiber optic front, but I'm open to suggestions. The stock sights suck for visibility, at least on the indoor range.

Site Supporter
    I like the Battlesight. I'd probably just leave the disconnect. No point digging around in the gun if you don't need to.

New recoil spring, then just shoot it. We never had any problems with the stock sights.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    New recoil spring, then just shoot it. We never had any problems with the stock sights.
    I figured that would be the best course of action. I was hoping someone had some experience with the Wolff setup, and could give feedback on whether it had any benefit in terms of felt recoil reduction with heavier springs without affecting reliable function. New OEM springs are cheaper and not a gamble.
    In terms of sights, the stock sights work, I just would prefer something with better visibility, and the Vickers looked like a good solution.

User Tag List