Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploring Traditional IWB

Site Supporter
    The most comfortable, concealable position is about 3:30. This is far enough back to take advantage of the natural hollow in the hip without being far enough back to print badly when you bend at the waist or to be sitting on your gun. It is also far enough back to hide the gun under an open front jacket, although some care must be taken not to let the jacket come completely away from your side.

A 10-15 degree cant angle works best for keeping the grip close to your body while still putting the grip in an easy position to grab. Any more cant than 15 degrees will exceed the point of diminishing returns.

I have had the best luck with Blade Tech holsters. I prefer soft loops over J hooks, because J hooks put the weight of the gun on the pants rather than on the belt.

Until recently I was a fan of Sidearmor holsters with their rigid belt loops. However, having recently broken two sets of rigid loops causes me to question the soundness of the design. Sidearmor was happy to charge my credit card for the replacement loops I ordered, but well past the stated time estimate for shipping, multiple telephone calls and contacts through their website contact form have gone unanswered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Supporting Business Dark Star Gear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    R, the AIWB holster from DSG can be used for traditional IWB if you simply remove the claw. You can get it with clip or PTD loops (or both).
    Win-win in that if you find you want to go back to AIWB you'll already have an outstanding holster for that purpose. (Of course, if you already have one from Tom, nevermind. )

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    A Milt Sparks VMII is pretty comfortable for a strong side IWB. I wore one for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I always carry IWB at 330. I like the Comp Tac CTAC holsters and have been able to find the "old style" with kydex versus the new injection molded-whatever. I am able to carry a M&P 9mm FS comfortably. I was able to get same holster for G26 and G19 if I decide to carry one of those.
    The VM2 is really hard to beat. Our IWB, I feel, is solid and solves the problem but I've always preferred the slight increase in softness of leather for traditional IWB. Ours is like a plastic Summer Special, the CTAC is close but I feel misses the mark to be a plastic VM2. That said, I've got 4 years with one and think you can do worse but all leather is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    However, having recently broken two sets of rigid loops causes me to question the soundness of the design.
    Kydex, especially with how many work it, is a terrible material for belt attachments.

Retrofit the new JM loop...

Or go with fixed soft loops. Fixed soft loops might be the ticket with the unknown spacing.
    Last edited by Dark Star Gear; 04-01-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Dark Star Gear
    Best method to contact us is email: info@darkstargear.com

I'm unusually carrying IWB at 3:30 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special or a JRC IWB SS. With Milt Sparks, I prefer the Summer Special over the Summer Special 2 or the Versa Max 2. I find the SS2 sit lower enough to slow my draw without providing all that more concealment. The smooth side out of the VM2 is slippery and doesn't stay anchored like the rough out construction of the SS or SS2.

The JRC SS is a true custom holster that you can get to the ride height and cant you wish. I prefer 15 degrees for 3:30 carry. I have a JRC IWB SS for both my primary carry guns, a P226R and P239, both adjusted for HD sights and the ride height I requested.
    Last edited by LSP552; 04-01-2017 at 11:49 AM.

now the real question, who has a nice holster like the summer special or VM2 I can borrow for a little bit? Thank you for all the information everyone, it really has been helping. I really want to be well rounded and versed in conceal carry hand guns and carry methods. While I feel like I have a solid grasp on appendix, I have no grasp on traditional iwb.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-01-2017 at 12:42 PM.

I had Sparks make my VMIIs roughout to help with the slipping.

I carry a g19 at 3 o'clock in a Blackpoint Tactical Mini Wing IWB. Very comfortable, conceals well, and it's easy on and off.

I think the 2 you're after, the summer special & VMII are probably the best designs and the ones most emulated.

Before I went AIWB I carried in a kydex/leather hybrid. I know they're not at all popular on this forum, but I found it to be the best compromise of comfort, price and gun support.

If I was to move away from AIWB it would be to a hybrid or a VMII style holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star Gear View Post
    Or go with fixed soft loops. Fixed soft loops might be the ticket with the unknown spacing.
    Fixed soft loops would likely be ideal. I am currently using Blade-Tech snap soft loops with the Sidearmor holster for my Glock 26. Sidearmor holsters depend on their belt loops to determine cant angle, so with these loops, the holster becomes vertical, keeping the grip just high enough off the belt to leave room for my fingers without placing it so high that it would increase printing. For a Glock 26, this is perfect. For a gun with a longer grip that requires sone cant to conceal, such as my Glock 19, the Sidearmor holster will probably be relegated to use as a training holster once I add soft loops.

I have rarely had a problem with snap loops, but one particular Blade-Tech snap loop repeatedly came unsnapped. The strap eventually broke, and once I replaced it with a new loop, I have had no problems with any other loops. I never unsnap my loops unless I am changing them or retightening the screws, since I don't want to weaken the snaps.

Both rigid loops broke in the rear loop section, where there is significant space between the loop and holster, probably resulting in significant deflection when I tightened my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I always carry IWB at 330. I like the Comp Tac CTAC holsters and have been able to find the "old style" with kydex versus the new injection molded-whatever. I am able to carry a M&P 9mm FS comfortably. I was able to get same holster for G26 and G19 if I decide to carry one of those.
    The new injection moldings have pluses and minuses. They are slightly thicker and the raised lettering is annoying but the sight channels are huge and probably more appropriate for suppressor height sights.

Has anyone tried the JM Custom AIWB offerings as a traditional IWB holster? I was wondering how the George serves in that position; it seems to have a bit more adjustability than the IWB3.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List