Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the economically disadvantaged 550 guy

I'm bumping this back to life as I have no friggin' idea how I missed this before.

I couldn't even guess how many hundreds of thousands of rounds my '88 vintage 550 has produced and this issue has always been a PIA. Dillon has graciously replaced all manner of primer parts over the years and I've simply developed a routine of disassembly and cleaning of the primer system every 500 rounds.

I just ordered the JW Systems plate off of Amazon (affiliate link above folks ^).

https://www.amazon.com/JW-Systems-Di...gateway&sr=8-1

Thanks for initially posting this @Hambo

I’m tempted to order one of these. My dad won’t even deprime on his 550 anymore. He runs them all through a single stage, then cleans the brass, then loads everything on then 550.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I’m tempted to order one of these. My dad won’t even deprime on his 550 anymore. He runs them all through a single stage, then cleans the brass, then loads everything on then 550.
    I've just received my ship notification email. So hopefully I'll get to try it out within the week.

The JW Systems roller bearing and extended primer slide plate was the best thing I have done to my 550. I have not had a hangup with the priming system since I added it to the press. ~$30 well spent, for sure.

I have not felt the need to replace the spent primer cup on mine, but I did replace the factory wire clip on the "catcher"(I forget the real name for this part), and added a small magnet as a weight to help keep it open at the proper time. I lose a few spent primers, but not many. I put a strip of duct tape over the sharp edge of the cup, against the frame, to reduce the number of primers that bounce off the edge/top of the cup.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I bought a $28 Lee single stage just for depriming so I could do that in a "dirty" location not my loading room, and before cleaning. CDO is a mofo.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I recently got this part and can vouch for it's effectiveness. Made everything much smoother.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've just received my ship notification email. So hopefully I'll get to try it out within the week.
    Wow. That was fast and easy.
    I received the plate on the 28th, set it up yesterday afternoon and ran a quick 100 rounds through my old 550. Sweet!
    Very smooth and works as advertised.
    Thanks again P-F!

I'm so poor I do all my loading with a single stage

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    A shooting buddy of mine, who is not poor anymore, persists in using a single stage press. On our practice scenarios I tend to fire multiple 9mm rounds while he will slowly fire a singe 45 round. I always joke that he has a single stage, I have more than one Dillon
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-30-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Whew, I was feeling bad about my Square Deal B until you posted...

User Tag List