Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the economically disadvantaged 550 guy

For the economically disadvantaged 550 guy

Every seven minutes in America, a reloader has to settle for a Dillon 550 instead of a RL1050 with bullet feeder and a computerized auto drive system. But just because you're in a bad tax bracket doesn't mean you have to suffer with an OEM 550.

Some time ago I got a UniqueTek spent primer chute, and it does everything the original Dillon does, plus it collects spent primers.

This week I stumbled across a YouTube video for a longer roller bearing primer track. UniqueTek makes a longer track, but this guy added a roller bearing so there's no play. I have no connection to this guy. It's just a cool idea for smoother primer feeding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-550B-...0AAOSwv0tVQX3I

#Dillon550
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-02-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I have the primer chute and hose, also the long primer bar track, I think I can get along without the roller bearing.

I also have a 1050 but the thought of changing calibers on it intimidates me, so I still load non-.45 on the 550.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I got wind of this product a while ago and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm going to order it and give it a try. My press could use some improvement in the primer bar area.

What the heck, I just ordered one. I love the 550, but the primer feeder sticking once it gets dirty from deprimed primers is the one weak point to it.

I have this for my #PoorFag 550, works well.
    #RESIST

Wow! I ordered on Saturday morning and it has arrived at my home in today's mail.

I'm gonna install it and get it a try later after I get home from Boy Scouts.

Just thought I would chime in and say that I would consider this product to be almost an essential addition to the 550. I've had a 550 for about 10 years, and the factory primer setup always hangs up once it gets dirty. I've been using this aftermarket setup for about a year and I never have had problems since.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Thanks for the info about improvements on the 550. I really never had the issues some have seen with their 550 priming system. Are you using CCI primers?

As well as a 550, I have a 1050. I purchased the 1050 almost 25 years after the 550 but I wish I had done it earlier. The primer pocket swager on the 1050 makes loading 223 a breeze. Next is an electric Dillon trimmer.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Thanks for the info about improvements on the 550. I really never had the issues some have seen with their 550 priming system. Are you using CCI primers?

As well as a 550, I have a 1050. I purchased the 1050 almost 25 years after the 550 but I wish I had done it earlier. The primer pocket swager on the 1050 makes loading 223 a breeze. Next is an electric Dillon trimmer.
    I use all kinds of primers, including CCI. I think there are two primary issues with the 550 priming system:
    1) It sh**s where it eats. That is to say, that when you deprime usually the spend primer and anvil will fall into the metal cup, but sometimes they can fly off somewhere else or burned priming compound can fall onto the priming track. That debris gets on the priming system track and the grime builds up.
    2) The stock priming system uses too short of a track. When the primer bar travels to the rear to pick up a fresh primer, the track does not fully support the bar any longer. So, the return spring tends to pull the bar down a tad which causes abnormal wear on the end of the track. Over time, I have noticed that my stock track has significant wear from this.
    3) The stock track is not corrosion resistant or very hard. Since burned priming compound falls on the track, any corrosive compounds can be a problem. I have noticed that over time the stock tracks to show some signs of corrosion and pitting. Even modern primers marketed as(non-corrosive) still have compounds such as potassium perchlorate or compounds that can cause galvanic corrosion on the carbon steel priming track.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Dunno if it works for the 650 but it does get really irritating cleaning jettisoned primers off my floor after reloading sessions. The designs are sturdy but they could use little tweaks here and there.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-19-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List