Thread: Help me choose a red dot for my G19 MOS

Help me choose a red dot for my G19 MOS

Hey guys, I'd like to pick up a G19 MOS which will likely be suppressed. Main use will be plinking at the range.

However, I can't decide on a red dot. I've narrowed it down to either the Leupold Deltapoint Pro vs. Vortex Venom. Thought about the Trijicon RMR, but the price, small FOV, tinted glass, and bottom battery makes it less attractive.

My concerns:

1. Durability- People seem to like to DPP, but I'm concerned about the warranty. I'm reading that bullet casings are ejected towards the glass, causing chips. Not sure if suppressed shooting will alter this. The Venom on the other hand has the famous Vortex lifetime warranty, so I'll be covered if the glass gets chipped up.

2. Astigmatism- I get a slight starburst (*) pattern with my Aimpoint 2moa dot, thus I should probably stick to the smaller dot to lessen this effect. Is there any difference in red dot clarity between the DPP and Venom?

3. Suppressor sights- Anybody using the Dawson Precision sights which clear the base of the optic? If so, did you get the fiberoptic front sight? I'm wondering if having 2 colored dots in the window causes confusion.

Thanks for the feedback.

1) Leupold has the same kind of warranty. I have had customers with original Delta Points that broke. Leupold upgraded them, at no charge, to the Delta Point Pro. The Vortex lifetime warranty is famous... I know lots of folks who have had to use it, too. Leupold, less so (aside from GJM... Not sure if he's got a curse or what, lol j/k).
    2) Leupold Glass, to me, is much clearer. The Vortex dots are just not that good for my eyes (astigmatism as well) The Leupold 2.5MOA is one of the best looking dots I've seen (better than the Trijicon, IMHO).
    3) I have not used the Dawson product before. I can say that, with a directly milled slide using the factory DP Pro rear sight, the front sight needs to be .415" tall for proper cowitness. The Dawson for the DP Pro is .495", which should give proper cowitness (you will, most likely, need to get holsters made with a taller sight channel. Most companies do not account for 1/2" tall front sights on production items) . I actually use a fiber optic front/black rear sight on my directly milled 17. The contrasting green fiber optic ensures you do not get the 2 confused. Never messed with a red insert.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 03-31-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just put a DP PRO on my 17 MOS. Dawson makes two versions of the MOS sights - one listed as RMR height and one listed as a more height. You need the C more height to clear the DP PRO.

They are not on the website right now because they are out of stock but Dawson offers co-witness tritium sights for the MOS- you need to call to order them.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I finally bought a RMR06 and mounted it to a newly acquired Gen 4 17 MOS. So far I have only been able to conduct dryfire due to scheduling issues.

The RMR was a lot smaller than expected but appears to be extremely high quality. The dot is crisp and clear and seems perfectly round as long as I don't turn the intensity up to high. The same can not be said about my 2MOA Aimpoint T2. The T2 is a pretty distorted starburst in most indoor settings.

My Trijicon suppressor height sights were delivered today and I plan to get them installed this weekend. I waited for a set of 3-Dots with blacked out rear dots to come available off back order.

Site Supporter
    Got the vortex venom myself... We'll see how it holds up. Anyone know which height Dawsons to get?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have the fixed front tritium with cowitness rear but they used to sell it as a set.

Last edited by Paul D; 03-31-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added 2nd picture

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have the fixed front tritium with cowitness rear but they used to sell it as a set.

They still sell the tritium MOS co witness set - they are not on the website because they are out of stock. Call to order.

Shield RMS

Right now the DP Pro is the favorite of USPSA Carry Optics competitors, but I would wait for the NRA show and see if Aimpoint releases the Nano.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Right now the DP Pro is the favorite of USPSA Carry Optics competitors, but I would wait for the NRA show and see if Aimpoint releases the Nano.
    I've been hearing people say that since like 2015. Aimpoint is starting to pull a "Single stack Glock" or a Gadget Soon(TM)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List