Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Athens GA Gabe White School Informal Log

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I would attend again.
    This.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Some time ago I was bellyaching that my Bill Drill has never been strong and I doubted the worth of expending tons of ammo chasing it. This comment may or may not have been what triggered Kevin B to offer me a practice regimen that built on a progression to improve my clos-ish range speed performance shooting.

When I saw it it reminded me of Todd's counsel here that to improve your FAST, don't just shoot the FAST. Work on the attributes (as Bruce Lee might call them). Pr

My budget was one live fire a week with 200 rounds. This was really helpful. I logged draws, splits and hits in detail.

PROGRAM:

1. Draw to one Round, x5 (5 rounds)- raw speed to a hit from the holster; shoot to your sights!

2. Draw to three rounds, x5 (15 rounds)- it is normal to see a decrease in speed over a one shot draw. Try and minimize the time between your draw here and your one shot draw.

3. Six from the Ready, x5 (30 rounds)-Focus on acquiring the sight moving from #3 to #4 and sight tracking during recoil.

4. Bill Drill, x5 (30 rounds)- You should know what your time will be based on your performance on the Draw to Three and Six from the Ready drills.

5. Draw to One Round on a 3" Post-It, x10 (10 rounds)- The Post-It is 3"x3"; harder than either the 3x5 card or 4" circle. You want to be ~.2 slower than your draw to the A-zone.

6. Draw to Two Rounds on a 3" Post-It, x10 (20 rounds)- Shoot to your sights! Pushing splits here is what causes misses.

7. Failure Drill, x10 (30 rounds)- Draw to three should give you a good idea of how fast you can put a pair in the A-zone. This is all about a good transition to the head. Looking for ~.5 when you go upstairs. If the transition poses an issue, there is another drill you can incorporate to work that.

8. Four & Two, x5 (30 rounds)- This is nothing more than an amalgamation of a Bill Drill, Failure Drill and Pair to the Head. What makes it hard is that it is a non-standard drill. You should have a good idea what your Draw to Four in the body is based on the previous drills. You should know how long it takes to transition from the body to the head. You should know how fast you can split to the head.

That is 200 rounds.

Take your time. This is work. Grinding through it will only get you bad reps. I shoot in strings of 10 or 15 rounds then break to reload magazines.

Pay attention to the timer but do not chase times. Your overall time is not as important as the components. The components are telling you where you are making progress and where you still have work to do.

Missing is OK because it tells you where your limits lie. Anyone can shoot clean if they shoot conservatively. The idea is to change your definition of conservative shooting.

"Thus endeth the lesson"
    I like it! But I have to ask, and maybe I should know this, what is the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I like it! But I have to ask, and maybe I should know this, what is the distance?
    I applied it at 7 yards in the context of prepping for Gabe's class.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Was this class hosted by Sparrow Defense at the Watkinsville range? I have been to a few SOB classes out there. Clark is a really dialed in and solid dude and I want to take some classes from him as well. Anyway, I'll be looking out for a Mr. White class in the future out there!

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Was this class hosted by Sparrow Defense at the Watkinsville range? I have been to a few SOB classes out there. Clark is a really dialed in and solid dude and I want to take some classes from him as well. Anyway, I'll be looking out for a Mr. White class in the future out there!
    Hosted by First Person Safety (Chief Weems), but Clark was at the class as well.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Hosted by First Person Safety (Chief Weems), but Clark was at the class as well.
    Ahh! Ok thanks for the clarification!

User Tag List