Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Athens GA Gabe White School Informal Log

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Hush, I'm aging and in active denial here. If I accept that I'm at or even near the limit of my physical ability I would become very sad.

Yesterday, I shot on a shaded bay with the sun peaking through the trees behind the berm, and I couldn't see the perforations for the scoring areas on an IDPA target at seven yards. Of all the things that are starting to go, I think I miss my vision the most.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Hush, I'm aging and in active denial here. If I accept that I'm at or even near the limit of my physical ability I would become very sad.
    Age is a figment of your imagination. I'm 71 and still doing OK because I want to. Vision may start becoming a small problem. I'll be OK when I get my cataracts fixed soon. We shoot with a gentleman who is in his mid 80's. He finishes in the middle of the pack because he is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Age is a figment of your imagination. I'm 71 and still doing OK because I want to. Vision may start becoming a small problem. I'll be OK when I get my cataracts fixed soon. We shoot with a gentleman who is in his mid 80's. He finishes in the middle of the pack because he is accurate.
    Over a decade ago, I was beaten in a local pistol match by a WWII veteran. He said to me, "How does it feel to have your ass whipped by an 82 year old man?"

He solidified his place as one of my favorite people that day. He also reminds me of it every time I see him.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

My local krewe is a bunch of 20 and 30 somethings. They put the heat to me pretty good and I do my best to reciprocate.

I put a lot more time, energy and money in it than most ... and still struggle. The only solution is to up my game.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Over a decade ago, I was beaten in a local pistol match by a WWII veteran. He said to me, "How does it feel to have your ass whipped by an 82 year old man?"

He solidified his place as one of my favorite people that day. He also reminds me of it every time I see him.
    Awesome.

I keep thinking some of these young whippersnappers will step up to the plate, but maybe they respect my age and don't try. Ha. My main competition at some of the local matches is in his mid 50's.

I think this year the renewel of my 1911 trigger with it's "tasty crutch" (JAD's term) trigger will be my age handicap (turning 60 in a few months).

But I'm diggin' the feeling of shooting the process, shooting the sights and let the timer go F itself if it is nice to me or mean to me. This was my work on that Friday, 4/5 of this was with the LB Operator .45. I replaced the KKM comped barrel with the OEM on this 19 just to confirm the gun itself wasn't malfing and it ran well.

Also a theme for me is to focus on tighter targets. The A zone used was the 4x6 card, vertical. I like to pursue precision and I'm wondering if the tighter target doesn't serve as a mechanism help to shoot the sights and not rush.
    IDK.

Attachment 15684
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think this year the renewel of my 1911 trigger with it's "tasty crutch" (JAD's term) trigger will be my age handicap (turning 60 in a few months)
    You think we can get Jason Burton to do us an AARP rate?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Gabe's training was so HOT that POST put it on our records as "Firefighter Training".

OK, so I've had to take a hiatus from regular training due to being a busy physician in his late 40's with a toddler..luckily I have a wife (!) but I live in Athens and I'm sore with myself for missing this class..Any plans on it happening again?

I would attend again.

User Tag List