Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athens GA Gabe White School Informal Log

Athens GA Gabe White School Informal Log

At the request of one of the inaugural class's alums, I'm starting this as a place for laddie daddie and everybody to drop in comments across the weekend class.

I'll be staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites venue so if any of y'all also are keep and eye out. I'll be registered under my primary alias of; Joe Carlson.

Everything is pretty much all set to go, primarily wondering how hard it will be to find this undisclosed location in the pre-dawn.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I scoped it out on Google earth. Got a response that the road pretty much ends at what I think is the range just past the scene from Deliverance.

I changed from a Hampton N of Athens near 85 to the Hampton Madison close to I-20.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-31-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Some time ago I was bellyaching that my Bill Drill has never been strong and I doubted the worth of expending tons of ammo chasing it. This comment may or may not have been what triggered Kevin B to offer me a practice regimen that built on a progression to improve my clos-ish range speed performance shooting.

When I saw it it reminded me of Todd's counsel here that to improve your FAST, don't just shoot the FAST. Work on the attributes (as Bruce Lee might call them). Pr

My budget was one live fire a week with 200 rounds. This was really helpful. I logged draws, splits and hits in detail.

PROGRAM:

1. Draw to one Round, x5 (5 rounds)- raw speed to a hit from the holster; shoot to your sights!

2. Draw to three rounds, x5 (15 rounds)- it is normal to see a decrease in speed over a one shot draw. Try and minimize the time between your draw here and your one shot draw.

3. Six from the Ready, x5 (30 rounds)-Focus on acquiring the sight moving from #3 to #4 and sight tracking during recoil.

4. Bill Drill, x5 (30 rounds)- You should know what your time will be based on your performance on the Draw to Three and Six from the Ready drills.

5. Draw to One Round on a 3" Post-It, x10 (10 rounds)- The Post-It is 3"x3"; harder than either the 3x5 card or 4" circle. You want to be ~.2 slower than your draw to the A-zone.

6. Draw to Two Rounds on a 3" Post-It, x10 (20 rounds)- Shoot to your sights! Pushing splits here is what causes misses.

7. Failure Drill, x10 (30 rounds)- Draw to three should give you a good idea of how fast you can put a pair in the A-zone. This is all about a good transition to the head. Looking for ~.5 when you go upstairs. If the transition poses an issue, there is another drill you can incorporate to work that.

8. Four & Two, x5 (30 rounds)- This is nothing more than an amalgamation of a Bill Drill, Failure Drill and Pair to the Head. What makes it hard is that it is a non-standard drill. You should have a good idea what your Draw to Four in the body is based on the previous drills. You should know how long it takes to transition from the body to the head. You should know how fast you can split to the head.

That is 200 rounds.

Take your time. This is work. Grinding through it will only get you bad reps. I shoot in strings of 10 or 15 rounds then break to reload magazines.

Pay attention to the timer but do not chase times. Your overall time is not as important as the components. The components are telling you where you are making progress and where you still have work to do.

Missing is OK because it tells you where your limits lie. Anyone can shoot clean if they shoot conservatively. The idea is to change your definition of conservative shooting.

"Thus endeth the lesson"
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Should be in last 45 min in the air here - gotta do something with the WiFi

That's a great looking program JHC and frankly a lot of it looks very much like things we'll be doing in class

Looking forward to reading any comments, good/bad/snide/otherwise, as well as any larger AARs that might come around after it's all said and done. With the burned bridge and traffic and everything, this class better be good!!!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I'll be up at the Springhill Suites, sometime after 10pm tonight. Leaving the house around 8pm, we'll see what traffic is like.

Looking forward to it.

I'll be leaving Birmingham around 5:15 CT 6:15 ET, hopefully will be late enough to miss the bulk of Fri night I-20 traffic.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Everything is pretty much all set to go, primarily wondering how hard it will be to find this undisclosed location in the pre-dawn.
    If you follow the directions, it shouldn't be hard at all.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I will be watching this thread with much jealousy.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    If you follow the directions, it shouldn't be hard at all.
    But of course I still have issue finding it and I've been there quite a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    But of course I still have issue finding it and I've been there quite a few times.
    Maybe that just says something about you.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List