Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger drag on Glock frame?

Trigger finger drag on Glock frame?

I've always heard that its not good to have your trigger finger contact the frame or the trigger guard. This would cause you to push shots as your finger drags on the frame during the trigger pull. My index fingers are not straight and curve toward my middle fingers. This makes it nearly impossible to keep my trigger finger from contacting the frame above the trigger area. This does not happen with a 1911 since the 1911 frame is much slimmer. I tend to push shots left and low with a Glock and although I need to dry practice and live fire practice more I feel like I know what a good trigger pull is and can do it. I'm not keen on 1911s so I figured I just needed to find a different platform that allows my trigger finger to only touch the trigger and not the frame. Then, I'm watching some Bob Vogel videos and it looks to me like his trigger finger is touching the frame too.

Yep.

So is it the norm for Glock shooters to have their trigger finger riding the frame through the trigger pull?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Huh. I work hard to keep my trigger finger from touching the frame on a Glock, which is nearly impossible with my oddly-proportioned hands. I don't shoot a Glock anywhere near Vogel's level, so I might be doing it wrong. I can't see how extra contact that will move the gun can help though. Vogel does grip the ever loving crap out of that gun, which probably mitigates the trigger finger drag.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Vogel has Herculean grip strength. Here's a photo of Shane Coley

He doesn't seem to be contacting the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Well, there is a difference between merely making contact, and a strong dragging motion.

My trigger finger tends to touch, or drag on, Glock frames, a natural consequence of the frame sitting so low in my skinny, bony hand. This is one reason I considered my Gen3 Glocks to be quick-and-dirty weapons, "good enough for government work," but not ideal for longer-range precision shooting. During slow fire, with a firm two-handed hold, I could usually manage to keep my trigger finger from dragging too much. With Gen4 Glocks, at least the 9/40 frame size, my trigger finger makes less contact, normally only tending to lightly touch the frame at the very beginning of the trigger stroke, and moving away from the frame as the trigger begins to move.

I switched from Glocks, Gen3 at the time, to SIG P229 pistols, in 2004, largely because my trigger finger did/does not drag on the P229 frame. I realized a very noticeable and immediate boost in my qual scores. Everything was wonderful until I met Arthur Itis; the higher bore axis of the SIG means that muzzle flip has more leverage to do its dirty work, especially when firing the then-mandated .40 S&W duty cartridge. I switched back to Glocks in 2015, mostly Gen4, a month after my chief approved 9mm duty pistols. Only one of my present Glocks is Gen3, and it is not one of my usual carry pistols.

Finger placement, on the trigger, is a factor. If I reach too far, so that the distal joint's crease is near the center of the trigger face, my finger tip may contact the inside lower part of the trigger guard, regardless of Glock generation. I need to be mindful to engage the trigger face with only the pad portion of my finger.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-30-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    With Gen4 Glocks, at least the 9/40 frame size, my trigger finger makes less contact...
    I wasn't aware that Gen4 Glocks had different dimensions in this area than the Gen3 models. My trigger finger does drag on the frame throughout the trigger pull motion.

Here is a picture of my finger next to a rule to show the curve of it. I have not compared other peoples index fingers but I feel like mine are drastically curved.
    Last edited by Irelander; 03-31-2017 at 09:40 AM.

I have noticed this problem for myself as well. If I use much LESS finger on the trigger, my finger bows way out but will remain clear of the frame of the gun. I need to get in some range time where that is the one issue I'm focusing on...maybe shoot dot torture with both methods, and see if that truly causes me a noticeable problem. This has also caused me to wonder if a different firearm may be better for me.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 03-31-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    This has also caused me to wonder if a different firearm may be better for me.
    I have been there as well, just too involved with Glocks and other obligations of life and budget to experiment.

I subscribe to the method of jamming as much finger in there as possible. (Phrasing?) I find if I alter that to minimize such drag my accuracy goes to hell. With the drag my speed isn't impressive but I would much rather emphasize accuracy and control and learn speed.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I wasn't aware that Gen4 Glocks had different dimensions in this area than the Gen3 models. My trigger finger does drag on the frame throughout the trigger pull motion.
    I am not saying that Gen4 Glocks are different at the trigger guard portion of the frame. The difference in dimensions at the grip portion of the frame are certainly there, which affects my entire hand position. Another factor is that my hands are not shaped the same, so my left trigger finger, if I remember correctly, drags less on a Gen3 frame. (My Gen3 Glock, at this point in time, is stored elsewhere, so I cannot put my hands on it at the moment.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-31-2017 at 01:18 PM.

I'm thinking my picture of my finger didn't come through. Here it is again.
    Name:  trigger finger warp.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  28.1 KB

I have the same type trigger finger Irelander. My solution was getting the Grip Force which changed the angle of my trigger finger and increased the distance which allowed me to press the trigger in a more 1911 way.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Force-Gl...adapters+gen+3
    Last edited by Gary1911A1; 03-31-2017 at 06:21 PM.

User Tag List