Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Gen 4 G22 still having reliability/durability issues?

Are Gen 4 G22 still having reliability/durability issues?

Am seeking an updated status on Gen 4 G22s ( and Gen4 G35s). Have reviewed this thread, https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Glocks/page11 , and I understand from it that as of at least as late as December '15, there were still significant, sometimes intractable issues.

Are the fundamental issues (insufficient slide mass) just unfixable without a major redesign, or has Glock been able to tweak them enough in the last 16 months to make them acceptably reliable and durable for serious use? I would be interested in how well or poorly guns made in last year or so are doing with lights attached, using a variety of ammo, shooting WHO or SHO, etc. Thanks in advance.

I raise this issue because I am considering buying a Gen 4 G22, or possibility a Gen 4 G35. I am heavily invested in Gen 3 & 4 9mm Glocks (17s, 19s, and a 34)as training, carry, and HD guns (guns, dozens of mags, numerous holsters, DG switches, spare parts, sight tool, etc)and would like to dip my toe into .40 without losing significant commonality.

Site Supporter
    Our sister PD uses the Gen 4 22 and are in year four with them. I asked their head firearms plumber if they have had any issues with them. No issues and they have had multiple successful shootings with it and the 165 grain Gold dot. They do two quals a year probably four hundred rounds a year max for patrol.
    They do not use WMLs currently and there is discussion among their command staff regarding implementing them. Word is if they are approved, they will most likely trade for 9mm Glocks. When they trade, we probably will as well. Hope this helps you a little.

Vending Machine Operator

Are Gen 4 G22 still having reliability/durability issues?

Our local agency switched to them about two years ago, and it apparently cleaned up all reliability issues they were having. I don't know their exact training count but I believe it's higher than 400/annual. Maybe 200-ish quarterly plus most officers around these parts train independently at least a little.

No breakages noted.

Small rural agency, about 40 sworn, in an area with extreme temperatures both low and high.

My brother is a member. I'd rather see them with G17s but this is also an area where police encounters are at least 75% vehicle related and most vehicles are heavily built work trucks, so .40 S&W has some genuine utility here. If they have to do .40, G22G4s with 180-grain Gold Dot at least put them on decent footing. The anti-9mm bias is still very strong here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-13-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Our local agency switched to them about two years ago, and it apparently cleaned up all reliability issues they were having. I don't know their exact training count but I believe it's higher than 400/annual. Maybe 200-ish quarterly plus most officers around these parts train independently at least a little.

No breakages noted.

Small rural agency, about 40 sworn, in an area with extreme temperatures both low and high.

My brother is a member. I'd rather see them with G17s but this is also an area where police encounters are at least 75% vehicle related and most vehicles are heavily built work trucks, so .40 S&W has some genuine utility here. If they have to do .40, G22G4s with 180-grain Gold Dot at least put them on decent footing. The anti-9mm bias is still very strong here.

LockedBreech, do you know if they are running weapon-mounted lights on their G22s?

Purchased in late 2015, I have had mine with a TLR-1 for just over year on duty and just over 1,000 rounds now. The only issue I had was one FTF of Federal Champion 180gr. Other than that, it has handled 180 blazer, 165 &180 HST, and 180 gold dots with no complaints.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-13-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    LockedBreech, do you know if they are running weapon-mounted lights on their G22s?
    Streamlight TLR-1S

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

My agency has had 25 in service since 07/2013, all with TLR1 lights. One gun had an out of spec trigger bar, still operated correctly just felt horrible, new part fixed it. Otherwise, no issues. Most guns are in the 3k round range.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    My agency has had 25 in service since 07/2013, all with TLR1 lights. One gun had an out of spec trigger bar, still operated correctly just felt horrible, new part fixed it. Otherwise, no issues. Most guns are in the 3k round range.
    Thanks, MD7305. Do you know if/when your agency plans to replace recoil spring assemblies or any other components proactively?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Thanks, MD7305. Do you know if/when your agency plans to replace recoil spring assemblies or any other components proactively?
    Yes. Most likely next year. Luckily the officers who are shooters, including myself, keep logs so we have a good idea of when to re-spring the guns. My gun has already seen a spring replacement as I've surpassed that interval already.

We dumped our Gen 4 -22s in the summer of 2014 after identifying significant extraction/ejection issues. The Office has always had a pretty liberal personally owned weapons policy. Considering that, off the top of my head, less than 15% of our 300 coppers are carrying something other than the now issued -17.

User Tag List