Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Competition Drills beyond the Indoor Square Range

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Would it be possible to expand briefly on what this is, to a noob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shoot a 3x5 starting at 3 Yards. 5 shots per distance. The goal is to keep all shots on the card. Time is not a factor. Then "walk back" to 5,7,10,12,15,20,25 yards or whatever distances you want. See how far you can get until you can't go 5/5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Rich, excuse my spelling, I type from a tablet and it's kind of sketchy sometimes.

What I'm talking about meant to be read as "hold over". So, basically shooting at distances that would require you to see where you need to establish your sight picture to get your hits, where you would hold to hit a 5 Yards vs. where you hold to hit at 100. Depending on factors it may be different or not as far off as you thought.

One easy and fun way to do this is to do walk backs. And when you have someone you're shooting with it can be a good way to be a bit competitive and have fun. For instance, my friends and I always do these at the end of our sessions and we start at 10 yards and make a par time of anywhere between 3-5 seconds and the first person to miss is out and you move back every 5 Yards until there's a last man standing. There are a million ways to run it, but the gist is to take shots at increasing distance to see how that affects your sight placement. The longer shots are also hard reminders about how important fundamentals are. We use steel for his most of the time but I would recommend using paper when starting out until you get comfortable to see where you are hitting.

I put a video of this in the video review thread, its post 132. I'm not sure how to link to it.

1776 beat me to it and that's probably an easier way to do it and the smaller target is more accountable.
    Last edited by Shootingrn; 03-30-2017 at 10:03 PM.

User Tag List