Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Competition Drills beyond the Indoor Square Range

Best Competition Drills beyond the Indoor Square Range

A forum member has kindly and graciously invited me to join him Saturday at a range with facilities and opportunities to shoot far beyond what I am normally able to accomplish at my typical indoor 25 yard square range.

Can you suggest some drills I can try, so as to make good use of my time there?

Are there any drills, in particular, with objective scoring or time metrics, that are known as 'standards' on outdoor ranges, suitable for a new shooter?

For the purpose of discussion, my equipment will be a HK VP9 in an open top Kydex range holster, with a pair or dual mag pouches (my Production USPSA rig, in fact.). The range is apparently fairly open, and will allow drawing, rapid fire, etc, as long as I am safe. I will have my PocketPro timer with me and hope to get some practice in with it.

I've heard of things like Bill Drills, El Presidente, etc. but I'm seeing quite a few of them. I would like to focus on trying a handful of these. For example, is it worthwhile to try and 'get' a score on FAST, or is it as pointless for me as a Dot Torture is, since I suck so much right now?

Basically, I'm just not sure exactly which 2-3 Drills would be most useful for me as a new shooter.

My goals are, overall, for rapid (2-4s?) accurate (A Zone? 8" circle?) multiple (2? 4?) shots from holstered at short (1-5 yd), medium (5-15 yd) and long (15-25 yd) distances (I.e. USPSA or Steel Challenge context).

Thanks very much. Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These were always my favorites

10 yard el Presidente
    7 yard Blake drill.
    25 yard bill drill.
    And some form of distance changeup where you had say two 5 yard open targets and a 15-25 yard partial or head shot target. I played around with that one a lot.

Those were my baseline drills that I felt like gave me a really good idea of what to work on in dry fire for competition.

Frank Garcia dots are awesome too, and can replace the 25 yard bill drill, I burned tons of ammo on those. Dagga Boys super test would be a great one to work on too.

Hope this gives some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    These were always my favorites

10 yard el Presidente
    7 yard Blake drill.
    25 yard bill drill.
    And some form of distance changeup where you had say two 5 yard open targets and a 15-25 yard partial or head shot target. I played around with that one a lot.

Those were my baseline drills that I felt like gave me a really good idea of what to work on in dry fire for competition.

Frank Garcia dots are awesome too, and can replace the 25 yard bill drill, I burned tons of ammo on those. Dagga Boys super test would be a great one to work on too.

Hope this gives some ideas.
    I love all these suggestions except for the frank Garcia dots. It's such a soul crusher and as a newerish shooter I'd recomend against it lol

I'd add the 5x5 skill test as it has a lot going on in a short time frame.
    i used to wannabe

Rich sorry I'm being lazy now but look for the cof at tac con 2017. 30 rounds and it prett much covers it all. It should give a good idea on what to work on.

5x5 test is really good to test your skills as a concealed carrier.

Gabe White Standards

Bill Drills: you can burn through ammo quick running them but I've learned more from bill drills than anything else I've tried.

Just my observations as a fellow newb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I love all these suggestions except for the frank Garcia dots. It's such a soul crusher and as a newerish shooter I'd recomend against it lol

I'd add the 5x5 skill test as it has a lot going on in a short time frame.
    I think it's a great idea to try the dots, even just one 36 round pass at 3 or 5 yards, just to really see where you're at. No, a newerish shooter won't be happy, but it's a learning experience.

OTOH, that's why I mentioned the 25 yard Bill Drill initially. It's a bit less of a bear than the dots while still teaching some of the same fundamental lessons, at least in my experience. At one point, I did 25 yard bill drills every single range session, and I learned a ton (also improved my scores on the dots a bit).

ETA: All those drills I listed, I got from Stoegers materials, feel like I should give credit where it's due. He has one in Skills and Drills called Tight Shots that I loved, but it requires a bit of imagination on the shooters part that may, may, intimidate a newerish shooter a bit.
    Last edited by Jared; 03-30-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Work on something that you can't work at your normal range. If you can't draw or shoot fast normally, do that. If you can't move normally, do that.

So here's a made up drill. Two boxes, three targets. Standing in box a, draw and shoot target 1. Move to box b, shoot target 2 and 3. Now you have a draw time, a spit time, a movement time, another split, a transition and a third split. Warm up first dry. Then run it a couple times to get a baseline of each of those times. Then pick a time you want to work on.

Say you pick the movement. Now start low ready in box a, on the beep shoot one shot into T1 then move to box b and shoot T2. Drive that time down.

Just an example. Garcia's dots is a fantastic drill for indoor ranges. Even from a low ready.

accelerator via stoeger is another deceptive drill that you can freestyle too.

I would also take the chance to do some walk backs to establish hold dovers and appreciate how important the fundamentals are at distance.

Best Competition Drills beyond the Indoor Square Range

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post

I would also take the chance to do some walk backs to establish hold dovers and appreciate how important the fundamentals are at distance.
    Would it be possible to expand briefly on what this is, to a noob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 03-30-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post
    accelerator via stoeger is another deceptive drill that you can freestyle too.

The accelerator is a great drill.

User Tag List