Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Range pick-up tool for brass

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    That's disgusting.

Bunch of brass chickens

I'm fat so it counts as exercise.

Kids are good and they can pick up a lot...but at least mine aren't so good at sorting or avoiding the junk.

I still haven't found anything better than a pair of knee pads though.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    I went with the dillon branded nut wizard - I'm liking it, though just like any tool there's some quirks to figure out in it's use. .mil discount made it on par with other known quality options out there, so I figured may as well get some spare parts for free out of the deal while I was on the phone.

I'm an indiscriminate brass picker, aluminum, steel, you name it. Mostly because I'm tired of nobody cleaning up their cases, brass rats (me!) are only going for what they can use, and our ranges are looking like crap because of it.

Additionally, having the toss-away cases in the wet tumbler act like media on the first go around and help make things more usable.

Maybe keeping a bucket of aluminum would make it worth while at the scrap yard, but we'll see if I get tired of looking at it first. Having a clean range it does make me enjoy it more.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-17-2017 at 12:35 AM.

the range safety guy, picks them for me, he gives me the brass form the other shooters too.

Site Supporter
    I'd rather not deal with the public ranges

A few members at the club have seen me use mine or tried it, and are sold. Far from perfect, but good enough is all that's really needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boy is a dab hand at brass collecion, he can ID most of the useful suff and is grateful for the pocket money supplement it generates.

I haven't read through the whole thread so if its already been said excuse the repeat but what about multiple battery powered shop vac's?
    https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCV581...ttery+shop+vac
    https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-2860...ckpack+shopvac
    If you have an electric available you could just use a typical shop vac maybe put it on a cart or possibly a dolly with air filled tires that could easily be pulled over uneven terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    My club is outdoors, and hosts multiple matches a month - plus unrestricted access to members anytime there isn't a match going on or the facility isn't rented out. The ground is grass and dirt, no gravel. Mainly pistol brass, and .22lr comes out during the sorting process so it's no big deal if I pick it up.

I'd love to hear what tools you use to speed up the process of picking up brass. Hovering over like a hunchback and getting a piece every now and then is a pain during the week, and at matches we try to get the place cleaned up asap. This is the step of brass 'processing' that takes the most amount of time for me - the tumbler is on a timer and runs at night. I took the trick from fast/friendly brass and hook up a 5 gallon bucket with plates to my tumbler, and that does a good job of doing a 'good enough' sort.

This'll be used to get the aluminum junk everyone leaves behind as well, because let's face it - it makes the place look like nobody cares about it with casings all over the place.
    Last edited by UNK; 05-26-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    That's certainly an unmentioned, and plausible way of doing it! Maybe when I'm shooting open class or making a decent side hustle with brass - right now the juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point :-)

The only other thing to consider is 3 of our 6 bays are wood chip/grass (smaller width, but deeper), so I don't think it would work too well there. But the compacted dirt ones would probably work out well.

I do love new tools, but right now that money is on hold - good thought!

User Tag List