Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range pick-up tool for brass

Site Supporter

Range pick-up tool for brass

My club is outdoors, and hosts multiple matches a month - plus unrestricted access to members anytime there isn't a match going on or the facility isn't rented out. The ground is grass and dirt, no gravel. Mainly pistol brass, and .22lr comes out during the sorting process so it's no big deal if I pick it up.

I'd love to hear what tools you use to speed up the process of picking up brass. Hovering over like a hunchback and getting a piece every now and then is a pain during the week, and at matches we try to get the place cleaned up asap. This is the step of brass 'processing' that takes the most amount of time for me - the tumbler is on a timer and runs at night. I took the trick from fast/friendly brass and hook up a 5 gallon bucket with plates to my tumbler, and that does a good job of doing a 'good enough' sort.

This'll be used to get the aluminum junk everyone leaves behind as well, because let's face it - it makes the place look like nobody cares about it with casings all over the place.

I've never used one, but this came to mind... https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-1257.../dp/B00RPAH47K
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've never used one, but this came to mind... https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-1257.../dp/B00RPAH47K
    I'm strongly leaning towards this style, just need to finalize which one/handle style - or abandon if there's a faster/more effective option for a bit more money. Not going to spend $400+ for the big drum ones with hoppers.

Would a rake and dustpan help?

I pick up commie steel cases with a magnet on a stick from the hardware store. It would also help separate steel from your brass pile.

My dad had one of these things for picking up golf balls in the yard, I use it to pick up dog toys and dog hair. Works pretty well, but its not going to get much at once. It folds in half when not needed. I haven't taken it shooting yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-Gopher-.../dp/B00144L4LK

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Smart ass

If I can figure out how to make that work on non-magnetic metals, I'd be a billionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Smart ass

If I can figure out how to make that work on non-magnetic metals, I'd be a billionaire.

GUILTY!

Makes for entertaining rookie pranks on range days too!

I thought this was why people brought their kids to the range.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I thought this was why people brought their kids to the range.
    Tools are so much cheaper than kids

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Tools are so much cheaper than kids
    Probably why I don't have any.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List