Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should I consider adjusting my rear sight?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Very interesting as I also have an astigmatism and require a slight right deflection on rear sights. Never connected those two before.
    I'll be interested in any insights you may have or come upon. I don't wear corrective lenses. I wear 1.25x reading glasses indoors when using the laptop or when reading in bed. (Both in less than ideal lighting.) Outdoors I read without them...and I need no corrective lenses for driving or shooting.

That said, I won't be reading license plates at distance anymore and the astigmatism causes a red dot to have a couple of spikes (which turn with the barrel...so they are not a defect of the optic).

Finally, I haven't bench rested these guns as I don't shoot from a rest in life and these firearms are all guns I've either carried on duty in the past or their equivalent. Any of them may be employed for self or home defense.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The astigmatism aspect is interesting. I've only been wearing corrective lenses for maybe 4 years now. The first eye doc I saw said I had a slight astigmatism. The second eye doc I saw said that I did not have an astigmatism. I'm going in for another check up next week for new daily wear glasses so we'll see what this guy says. Supposedly he's a really good optometrist that runs his own private practice.

This may explain why I have a "slight left" shooting issue as well. Major and minor changes to grip, trigger press, various degrees of grip pressure, and a handful of other changes all seem to consistently point to me shooting just left of POA. I think the next time I hit the range I'll need to swap to normal prescription-less eye pro and see what happens. Might be interesting.

For reference I'm left eye dominant, right handed, and my rear sight is centered in the dovetail. I've also got a new universal boresighter on its way in to confirm zero and help get my rifles on paper before zeroing.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Correction: In post 41 which I can no longer edit, I misspoke. I meant to say the spikes on the red dot don't turn when the barrel of the optic is rotated. If it were a fault in the optic itself, the flaw would turn along with the rotation. Astigmatism keeps the perceived spikes in the same place despite the rotation. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I'll be very interested in any information or conclusions my fellow astigmatic members might share going forward.

(Astigmatics...we can be the new Deplorables.)
    Last edited by blues; 04-13-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I've become convinced one of my 17s needs 2" at 25. Anyone know the math for how much drift that is of the rear sight?
    https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

Turn your display 90 degrees to change elevation results from calculator to windage.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Correction: In post 41 which I can no longer edit, I misspoke. I meant to say the spikes on the red dot don't turn when the barrel of the optic is rotated. If it were a fault in the optic itself, the flaw would turn along with the rotation. Astigmatism keeps the perceived spikes in the same place despite the rotation. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I'll be very interested in any information or conclusions my fellow astigmatic members might share going forward.

(Astigmatics...we can be the new Deplorables.)
    Astigmatics. We just see things differently than you do.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

For a second I thought we were talking about Stigmatics, being Holy Week and all. I'll go back into my Lenten prayer routine now and STFU... (obviously didn't give up cussing!)
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 04-13-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    For a second I thought we were talking about Stigmatics, being Holy Week and all. I'll go back into my Lenten prayer routine now and STFU... (obviously didn't give up cussing!)
    For your penance, Kevin, I'll expect you to share your thoughts on the topic of shooting and astigmatism. We promise not to stigmatize you regardless of your stance.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Yesterday I had another shooting lesson. My shots are tightly grouped but still slightly to the right. (I am left-handed.) My instructor fired my CZ 85 and his shots landed right on.

He stood right behind me as I shot, then told me he thinks we should adjust my rear sight, as he feels that sights often have to be "customized" for shooters.

I also shoot my Glock slightly to the right; so right now I'm not convinced that my problem is the rear sight.

I guess I'm afraid of correcting one shooting defect with another.

Any thoughts?

Randy
    Since I don't recall anyone mentioning it, how tight are you gripping with your firing hand before and through the shot. Keep in mind you need to disassociate your trigger finger from the rest...i.e, don't tighten your grip fingers when you press the trigger. See what happens when you shoot strong hand only.

So just as an update to this thread, the boresighter that I got confirmed that my sights were ever so slightly out of alignment with where the bore was actually putting rounds. I adjusted the sights to match the laser. I've taken it to the range twice for live fire confirmation at 25 yards. POI now reflects my POA. My rear sight did indeed move slightly to the right.

User Tag List