Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I consider adjusting my rear sight?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The important question is which 19 are you shooting in Gabe's class?
    The one without the magwell has a fitted Ghost Evo Elite trigger in it with stock springs. The other I think a Ghost connector and lightened springs. Both were running 100% last Friday for 300+ rounds.

No real preference. One without a magwell conceals slightly better. Last reloading practice sessions were all without the magwell but I had to swap back to the Tanfo for AL state USPSA.

Now I'm sure I suck at Glock again. One will be a backup for the other.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Yesterday I had another shooting lesson. My shots are tightly grouped but still slightly to the right. (I am left-handed.) My instructor fired my CZ 85 and his shots landed right on.

He stood right behind me as I shot, then told me he thinks we should adjust my rear sight, as he feels that sights often have to be "customized" for shooters.

I also shoot my Glock slightly to the right; so right now I'm not convinced that my problem is the rear sight.

I guess I'm afraid of correcting one shooting defect with another.

Any thoughts?

Randy
    Buy yourself some dummy rounds and randomly load them into a few magazines then grab the mags and throw them in your pouches so that you won't know when you'll hit a dummy. Do some accuracy shooting and some fast draws and double taps and see what the sights do when you hit a dummy. If the gun jerks or the sights wobble at all as the gun clicks then you know it's you not the sights that need fixed (I'm right there with you).

When I'm working on trigger control specifically I'll load up more dummies than live rounds so that I mostly get clicks and occasionally get a bang. If I screw up the pull I'll just recock the gun (on my M&P that just requires pulling the slide back 1/2" or less) and I'll only cycle the slide to go to the next round in the mag if I get a clean trigger pull. That'll usually give me 30-40 reps for one 17 round magazine.

I like these dummies from Brownells. The extractor slowly tears up the rims but the batch of 50 I bought has lasted me a couple years and they are easy to find on the ground.

Name:  l_729000037_1.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  23.9 KB

Folks,
    Thanks for all your help.
    I will start using some dummy rounds,
    Randy

Folks,
    Thanks for all your help.
    I will start using some dummy rounds,
    Randy
    There is another school of thought, espoused by Bill Rogers, that you use dummy rounds differently. Alternate dummy, ball, dummy, ball, so you know when you will have a dummy and when a live round. Running out the door now, without time to dive into the theory, although hopefully another Rogers School grad will chime in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOVo1HQd30

I still can not figure out how to embed videos. I found this video to be a good reference on what to do dry fire to fix my issues.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beOVo1HQd30

I still can not figure out how to embed videos. I found this video to be a good reference on what to do dry fire to fix my issues.
    If you can't see the little video icon next to the icon for posting images, then just put the left bracket followed by the word video and then the right bracket in front of the video's url, and then left bracket followed by /video and then the right bracket after the url. Easy peasy.

[ ] are the brackets left and right to be used with the words video and /video

Here's your link:

Last edited by blues; 03-30-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you can't see the little video icon next to the icon for posting images, then just put the left bracket followed by the word video and then the right bracket in front of the video's url and then left bracket /video followed by the right bracket after the url. Easy peasy.

[ ] those are the brackets left and right

Here's your link:

Thanks brother,
    "something something younger generation"

BTW, when I dry fire I don't see any sight movement. I even bought a bore laser sight to make sure.
    I suspect I might be having some recoil control issues.
    Randy

BTW, when I dry fire I don't see any sight movement. I even bought a bore laser sight to make sure.
    I suspect I might be having some recoil control issues.
    Randy
    Randy - there might also be a problem with your dry firing. It's VERY difficult to "emotionally" invest in dry fire the same way you do with live fire. Obviously (assuming you're following the proper safety procedures) you won't have any flash/noise/recoil with dry fire. Because of this, it's VERY easy to get "slack" on grip, stance, and trigger work in dry fire. In live fire, you might be gripping the weapon harder, and being more focused on other issues (sights, etc) than you are on trigger manipulation.

Hence George's earlier suggestion that ball and dummy drills might be more effective in diagnosing the problem than just dry firing with dummies.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Randy - there might also be a problem with your dry firing. It's VERY difficult to "emotionally" invest in dry fire the same way you do with live fire. Obviously (assuming you're following the proper safety procedures) you won't have any flash/noise/recoil with dry fire. Because of this, it's VERY easy to get "slack" on grip, stance, and trigger work in dry fire. In live fire, you might be gripping the weapon harder, and being more focused on other issues (sights, etc) than you are on trigger manipulation.

Hence George's earlier suggestion that ball and dummy drills might be more effective in diagnosing the problem than just dry firing with dummies.
    Ya, I find that I have to get into the "mindset" and check my stance quite a bit during dry fire. When I pick up the gun I always clear it and then deliberately get into an "aggressive" shooting stance. This can be quite fatiguing after awhile but now that I have been doing it for a few months, I can dry fire for 20-30 minutes straight using the same stance/grip I do when shooting live fire. Obviously some days I go longer but I start to feel the negative effects of it.

User Tag List