Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who finds this ironic - dropping a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I have seen one instance where it was incredibly unfair. I once had a shooter who saw an unpasted target, and while running to paste it (before the next shooter had started, of course), her gun popped out..unloaded, of course. She had been having a great match.
    But, being safe means making certain sacrifices.
    Cody
    If her holster allowed to gun to "pop" out then it was woefully awful to begin with. More silliness.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I wonder if SFOD-D, SEAL or SWAT members get booted from training or quals for dropping their guns.
    I just talked to a friend of mine who heads one of the local SWAT teams and he said that guys get booted for unsafe gun handling which includes trying to catch their gun if it falls. He called it nuts to think that anyone would try to catch their gun during live fire training.
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Do they get booted for dropping a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Do they get booted for dropping a gun?
    Not unless unsafe things happen too many times.
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    You have made up a straw man argument.
    More irony, with you trying to accuse me of making strawman arguments, after your very first post did just that with the nonsense about USPSA, when I was clearly talking about IDPA.

It is clearly unsafe to attempt to catch a falling gun, especially while at a shooting match while loaded. You should be focusing on supporting safe gun handling rather than suggesting the opposite.
    More irony, and strawman arguments from YOU. I've never suggested it was OK to catch a falling gun. Quite the opposite, I've said it's unsafe to do so, but that Rule 2.3 encourages people to attempt to catch their guns, because that might be considered unsafe, but might not be, since a 2.2 DQ is just a judgment call from the SO, but actually dropping the gun (with it actually hitting the ground being absolute proof of that) will definitely result in a DQ. Therefore there is an incentive to try to keep the gun from hitting the ground to avoid the absolute proof that Rule 2.3 was violated, and getting the definite DQ.
    And, FYI, 2.2 is a non-exclusive list.
    Where exactly did I say it wasn't? That's rhetorical, because I didn’t say, or even imply, any such thing, but we’ve already established that it’s actually you that is fond of strawman arguments.

However, as you point out Rule 2.2 covers all unsafe gun handling.

So it makes me think of a scene from the movie "A Few Good Men" which I will parody for you:

Lt Kaffee:Colonel, I have another question. If Rule 2.2 covers all unsafe gun handling, and you, and the people who run IDPA, feel dropping a gun is unsafe, then why would you need Rule 2.3? Why would it be necessary to have that separate Rule?
    Jessep: Dropping a gun is unsafe because . . .
    Lt Kaffee: That is not what you said, you said being unsafe was covered by Rule 2.2.
    Jessep: That's correct.
    Lt Kaffee: You said what was listed in Rule 2.2 was “non-exclusive.”
    Jessep: I recall what I said--
    Lt Kaffee: I can have the court reporter read back to you--
    Jessep: I know what I said! I don't have to have it read back to me like I'm--!
    Kaffee: Then why the two rules, Colonel?

Name:  daniel_kaffee_few_good_men.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  17.0 KB
    Last edited by DMF13; 03-31-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Game issues for gamers.

Sorry but this is a self correcting problem.
    Well either you play the game, then this is an issue for you, or you don't play the game, and it's not. If the latter is true then I can't see why you're commenting on this thread at all.

Is this even an issue (rhetorical, it's not)? I've yet to see someone drop a gun and catch it, and if they did they'd likely be DQ'd simply on the basis of being a monumentally stupid motherfucker for attempting such a thing, assuming it somehow didn't break 180 by default, rules be damned. Does there need to be specific wording covering when a drop has officially become a drop? Is there an actual assumption anywhere that tripping and jettisoning your gun across a shooting bay is OK as long as you catch it before it touches the ground? Do people drop a gun a half inch before catching it often enough for it to matter?

Once the gun comes out and you're not at a safe table or up to shoot you're done for the day regardless of any intentions everywhere I've ever been. I think that's pretty widely understood. it really doesn't matter how much time and money the person spent getting to the match, that's an irrelevant bummer they had full control over.

If this actually is an issue a simple email to area directors and IDPA RO peoples (or a tiger team or whatever the hell dark wizard does IDPA's rule change recommendations) to get the technicality entered into the books seems easy enough. Sure we have actual issues like popper fucking going on, but we can burn time on this too.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-31-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Peally, thank you for that moment of sanity in this thread.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Well either you play the game, then this is an issue for you, or you don't play the game, and it's not. If the latter is true then I can't see why you're commenting on this thread at all.
    Because so many, especially here, have expounded on the major relevance that gaming has with self defense, especially skill sets required to "not get killed on the streetz" and then we have this completely pointless thread on something only gamers would have conversations about.

So either gaming is totally relevant to self defense shooting skillset or it is not. You cannot have it both ways.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Does this mean that the border shift is illegal in competition?

Seriously, is there a gun dropping epidemic? In decades of shooting schools, USPSA, IDPA, 3 gun, sporting clays, as well as being a SWAT guy, I've seen exactly one pistol hit the deck, and that was from a catastrophic Serpa holster failure.

As for SWAT guys getting dumped over a dropped gun, I never saw anybody drop one. If an officer already had a reputation for poor shooting, tactics, poor physical condition, general stupidity, he wasn't going to get selected for SWAT training in the first place.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List