Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who finds this ironic - dropping a gun?

Am I the only one who finds this ironic - dropping a gun?

So I got the "Tactical Brief" email today, and it contained a link to this article:
    http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...fense-security

Which says, "If you happen to lose control of your pistol while it is in your hand or if it falls out of your holster or your hand during a draw, let it drop. It is extremely dangerous to try and grab the weapon in the air. There is a chance you will get tangled up in the trigger and pull the trigger in the process causing the pistol to fire."

I agree 100% with that statement.

However, I find it ironic that IPDA sent me that link, when IDPA has rules 2.3.1 and 2.3.2, which mandate that a shooter who drops a gun to be disqualified. Those two rules, I have always thought were stupid, as they encourage a shooter to attempt to grab a falling gun, rather than let it simply hit the deck, in an unsafe attempt to prevent being disqualified.

Gaming isn't based in reality, so there's that.

And you shouldn't be dropping your gun anyway...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If the gun falls out of your hand do not try to grab it. Of course the reality of the situation is you will react without thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    So I got the "Tactical Brief" email today, and it contained a link to this article:
    http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...fense-security

Which says, "If you happen to lose control of your pistol while it is in your hand or if it falls out of your holster or your hand during a draw, let it drop. It is extremely dangerous to try and grab the weapon in the air. There is a chance you will get tangled up in the trigger and pull the trigger in the process causing the pistol to fire."

I agree 100% with that statement.

However, I find it ironic that IPDA sent me that link, when IDPA has rules 2.3.1 and 2.3.2, which mandate that a shooter who drops a gun to be disqualified. Those two rules, I have always thought were stupid, as they encourage a shooter to attempt to grab a falling gun, rather than let it simply hit the deck, in an unsafe attempt to prevent being disqualified.
    Attempting to catch a falling gun is also unsafe gun handling and would be a DQ. Is it your argument that this is allowed in USPSA?
    Cody
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

USPSA - empty handgun dropped is ok as long as the competitor does NOT pick it up. Loaded handgun is a DQ. As far as I know there are no rules against catching or attempting to catch a gun.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Attempting to catch a falling gun is also unsafe gun handling and would be a DQ.
    No, the attempt to catch a falling gun is a judgment call left up to the SO, that might be determined to be "unsafe," and might result in a disqualification. In fact, attempting to catch a falling gun is not mentioned as an example of unsafe gun handling in rule 2.2.

However, dropping a gun is specifically addressed as something that will result in a disqualification, and therefore the rules encourage attempting to catch a falling gun, as trying to catch it might result in a DQ, but following the wise advice of the linked article from the "Tactical Brief," absolutely will result in a disqualification.
    Is it your argument that this is allowed in USPSA?
    No, my point is it's ironic that IDPA sent me a link to that article, when IDPA has a rule that encourages people to do the very unsafe thing the article recommends against. I didn't mention USPSA at all, USPSA didn't send me the link to the article, and I posted in the IDPA forum, not the IPSC/USPSA forum.
    Last edited by DMF13; 03-29-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Gaming isn't based in reality, so there's that.
    Yes, but the reality of the game is there are real guns, with real ammo, and the concern over people dropping guns is a real issue.
    And you shouldn't be dropping your gun anyway...
    True, but accidents can happen, and none of us are infallible, so the rules shouldn't encourage someone to do something unsafe during the accident.

No, the attempt to catch a falling gun is a judgment call left up to the SO, that might be determined to be "unsafe," and might result in a disqualification. In fact, attempting to catch a falling gun is not mentioned as an example of unsafe gun handling in rule 2.2.

However, dropping a gun is specifically addressed as something that will result in a disqualification, and therefore the rules encourage attempting to catch a falling gun, as trying to catch it might result in a DQ, but following the wise advice of the linked article from the "Tactical Brief," absolutely will result in a disqualification.No, my point is it's ironic that IDPA sent me a link to that article, when IDPA has a rule that encourages people to do the very unsafe thing the article recommends against. I didn't mention USPSA at all, USPSA didn't send me the link to the article, and I posted in the IDPA forum, not the IPSC/USPSA forum.
    Well the rule is not trying to keep you from grabbing or not grabbing your pistol. The rule is saying don't drop your pistol in the first place.
    If you are and SO/RO and Joe Blow drops his pistol in front of you I doubt you'd be comfortable with him from a safety perspective going forward.

The orientations we always have revolve around "hold onto that sucker at all costs" not "grab it if its falling already." I've never actually seen it happen. But again I do waddle and shoot. Maybe the wearing cleats and doing windsprints on the sideline crowd have more experience in that.

(I do believe during the summer if I could do the entire match from a comfy chair under an umbrella I would-preferably with a bourbon on the rocks in one hand. Strangely I never seem to win. Must be the ammo)
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 03-29-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    USPSA - empty handgun dropped is ok as long as the competitor does NOT pick it up. Loaded handgun is a DQ. As far as I know there are no rules against catching or attempting to catch a gun.
    I'd have it look it up but I believe that is only true *outside* of the course of fire. For example, getting your gun knocked out of the holster on a prop while setting steel between stages.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

However, dropping a gun is specifically addressed as something that will result in a disqualification, and therefore the rules encourage attempting to catch a falling gun, as trying to catch it might result in a DQ, but following the wise advice of the linked article from the "Tactical Brief," absolutely will result in a disqualification.No, my point is it's ironic that IDPA sent me a link to that article, when IDPA has a rule that encourages people to do the very unsafe thing the article recommends against. I didn't mention USPSA at all, USPSA didn't send me the link to the article, and I posted in the IDPA forum, not the IPSC/USPSA forum.
    There is no judgement call of trying to catch a falling gun. If the gun leaves your hands in the shooting area, it was dropped, and you will be DQ'D. I am pretty sure that is the same for USPSA.

You have made up a straw man argument.

It is clearly unsafe to attempt to catch a falling gun, especially while at a shooting match while loaded. You should be focusing on supporting safe gun handling rather than suggesting the opposite.

And, FYI, 2.2 is a non-exclusive list.
    Cody

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List