Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Practice Ammo Questions

308 Practice Ammo Questions

I've got a couple of 308 bolt guns and I'm in the market for mil-spec practice ammo. I've had good luck with PMC Bronze, but looking for something a little cheaper. This will be for shooting inside of 200 yards--I have other ammo for longer-range practice.

What should I avoid? Bear/Tula? How about Hirtenberger?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Federal XM80 shoots well in my MP10' I haven't tried it from my 700. The cheaper PMC ball and some imported ball (Brazilian I think) shot poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Federal XM80 shoots well in my MP10' I haven't tried it from my 700. The cheaper PMC ball and some imported ball (Brazilian I think) shot poorly.
    Thanks. I figure accuracy will vary rifle by rifle. I'm more concerned about blowing up a rifle with bad milsurp.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks. I figure accuracy will vary rifle by rifle. I'm more concerned about blowing up a rifle with bad milsurp.

Okie John
    I've been pleased with the ZQI Turkish M80 ball equivalent sold in Walmart in both bolt guns and semi autos. Better and cheaper than the same load from IMI which was dirty and not very accurate.

What are you practicing?
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

SGAmmo has some German MEN ammo that's really nice and not expensive.

My bolt 308 practice loads are my hand loads. Lapua brass, sierra bullets. 11 firings so far no cracking or split necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    What are you practicing?
    Mostly shorter-range Cooper drills like Snaps and the Plate Drill.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I’ve tested a box of that. From the bench, the average for five three-shot groups at 200 yards and one 3-shot group at 100 yards is 1.61 MOA. I’m going to grab a bunch of it the first chance I get.

Thanks to all who replied.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve tested a box of that. From the bench, the average for five three-shot groups at 200 yards and one 3-shot group at 100 yards is 1.61 MOA. I’m going to grab a bunch of it the first chance I get.
    Nice! My results are similar, getting on average 1-2MOA using a standard Remington 700. When I get back to NC next month I'm going to test some in a tight chambered custom 308 and see if they do even better. What are you shooting yours through?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Picked up a case of it this summer but haven't had a chance to shoot it. Might need to pick up some more.....

I've been shooting up my supply of Santa Barbara surplus and going to trough the case of MagTech (Brazilian) ammo. The MagTech has worked fine but not spectacular accuracy. I have read reviews on the Palmeto and Midway sites that this ammo is giving bolt guns trouble but no issues out of my AR (knock on wood).

User Tag List