Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: IDPA gear help

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    It certainly wasn't meant to be a joke. Sorry.

People wanted info on IDPA equipment and I honestly provided it.
    I meant *I* was struggling not to make a joke. You were being factual.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I meant *I* was struggling not to make a joke. You were being factual.
    I think the rule that outlawed the old Ready Tactical mag pouch is the joke.

Sorry, Tom.

I just got an IWB mag pouch and might consider using it for idpa. It's a comp-tac http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pou...nt-pouch-10628

I've had it for awhile, but it took a LONG time to break it to a functional level. It's for an M&P, I had to keep an H&K magazine (they're large in dimensions) in it for a few months to get it to the point where I could draw the magazine without also drawing the pouch off the belt. I also worked the HK mag in and out a dozen times a night for a few months when I could remember to. I really wouldn't recommend it, but if it's currently the only thing I have for IWB mag pouch carry.

You won't see many (if any) use an IWB pouch in IDPA for the same reasons IWB holsters are pretty rare too.....they're just slower. It's going to take a little more time to find the mag, and it's going to be a little more difficult to get a good grip on it.

Honestly, most OWB magazine pouches don't print THAT much as long as you use dress around it. If you're a size L, you need to wear an XL shirt, etc. Also, I find certain brands of shirts are wide at the waists, like Old Navy polo's whereas others are way too tight. There is no arguing that the IWB mag pouch does print less than OWB while still being significantly faster and more reliable than pocket magazine carry though.

I go back and forth on IDPA philosophy. I personally want to play it with my Street carry gear, which is a comp-tac IWB holster and OWB mag pouches under an untucked polo, but my friends encourage me to wear the fishing vest and go OWB. Either one works. I compete to win, but practicing with real world gear seems like it's in line with the intent of IDPA more than a fishing vest.
    Last edited by LSW; 03-29-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSW View Post
    I just got an IWB mag pouch and might consider using it for idpa. It's a comp-tac http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pou...nt-pouch-10628

I've had it for awhile, but it took a LONG time to break it to a functional level. It's for an M&P, I had to keep an H&K magazine (they're large in dimensions) in it for a few months to get it to the point where I could draw the magazine without also drawing the pouch off the belt. I also worked the HK mag in and out a dozen times a night for a few months when I could remember to. I really wouldn't recommend it, but if it's currently the only thing I have for IWB mag pouch carry.

You won't see many (if any) use an IWB pouch in IDPA for the same reasons IWB holsters are pretty rare too.....they're just slower. It's going to take a little more time to find the mag, and it's going to be a little more difficult to get a good grip on it.

Honestly, most OWB magazine pouches don't print THAT much as long as you use dress around it. If you're a size L, you need to wear an XL shirt, etc. Also, I find certain brands of shirts are wide at the waists, like Old Navy polo's whereas others are way too tight. There is no arguing that the IWB mag pouch does print less than OWB while still being significantly faster and more reliable than pocket magazine carry though.

I go back and forth on IDPA philosophy. I personally want to play it with my Street carry gear, which is a comp-tac IWB holster and OWB mag pouches under an untucked polo, but my friends encourage me to wear the fishing vest and go OWB. Either one works. I compete to win, but practicing with real world gear seems like it's in line with the intent of IDPA more than a fishing vest.
    Through practice and great designed holster I have found my draw times are the same as OWB holster using the M-TAC holster, and a CZ-75 Compact.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I'm a little late to the party here but great thread. I'm another that would like to start out using my EDC. As for cover, I get the part about not being able to see any equipment with outstretched arms. But, am I understanding that if I wear a t-shirt, I'm not allowed to use my weak hand to re-holster? Also, there is no mention here of aiwb so I'm guessing this is a no no. All of my holsters are JMCK so I should be good to go there as well as kydex or other polymer retention mag pouches. I really don't want to wear the goofy (to me) vest!

Glad to see you want to use your everyday carry gear in competition! Unfortunately AIWB is not allowed because too many people actually carry like that. As to the vest, I thought you wanted to use your everyday carry gear? You don't have to buy the weighted version from bill Wilson, you can use the same vest you wear everyday.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Glad to see you want to use your everyday carry gear in competition! Unfortunately AIWB is not allowed because too many people actually carry like that. As to the vest, I thought you wanted to use your everyday carry gear? You don't have to buy the weighted version from bill Wilson, you can use the same vest you wear everyday.
    I'm guessing this goes in the joke or sarcasm thread?

Quote Originally Posted by LTC77406 View Post
    I'm guessing this goes in the joke or sarcasm thread?
    It did contain accurate info. From what I've gathered my club doesn't like to see people use just a short but they let people. AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NOTHING IN THE RULES SAYING YOU CSNT AD LONG AD IT MEETS THE CRITERIA (just now realized caps was on sorry) of concealed. No AIWB draws. I think the using support hand for rejolstering is talking about like snap straps across the top of a funky nylon holster.

Your legit CC gear will be fine minus AIWB.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by LTC77406 View Post
    I'm a little late to the party here but great thread. I'm another that would like to start out using my EDC. As for cover, I get the part about not being able to see any equipment with outstretched arms. But, am I understanding that if I wear a t-shirt, I'm not allowed to use my weak hand to re-holster? Also, there is no mention here of aiwb so I'm guessing this is a no no. All of my holsters are JMCK so I should be good to go there as well as kydex or other polymer retention mag pouches. I really don't want to wear the goofy (to me) vest!
    Regarding support hand holstering and unholstering: You can and should use your support hand to pull up your shirt, but you cannot be putting your support hand on the holster to draw or holster the gun. The holster needs to be sturdy, good belt, and while holding your shirt up be able to holster or reholster without the support hand assisting. Concealment means just that. I know some people who use a button up untucked overshirt, others who use a light jacket, etc. This is a really good video that reviews all the ways to draw from the strong side: Open front, two hand polo shirt, and single hand polo shirt.

Regarding AIWB: We have plenty of members who carry AIWB but compete in IDPA using a good strong side holster. We don't allow it for safety reasons with less experienced shooters. Remember IDPA allows people of all skill levels. You only draw once for a stage, and you will always remember where your gun is at. 95% of what you do in IDPA is shooting under pressure of time, using cover, and using target priority in a variety of different shooting positions, while moving, with moving targets, around obstacles, etc.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    So if Larry Vickers is no longer allowing AIWB for his training sessions, doesn't that tell you he has safety concerns about it with less experienced shooters?
    Cody

User Tag List