Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA gear help

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I am looking to get into IDPA and had a few questions about gear. I normally wear a Whitehat hybrid holster (similar to Crossbreed) worn at 3-3:30 position and carry a Glock 23. I iften don't carry a spare magazine since leaving a major metropolitan and high crime area for rural farm country. When I did carry a spare mag I used the factory Glock mag pouch which held the mag very securely and close to the body(OWB) but is pretty slow to draw the mag because it has so much drag and rides pretty high on the magazine. I also have an all kydex MTAC IWB tuckable holster that I used for awhile but it wore my clothing until there was a hole so I don't use it anymore for regular carry. I also carry with T shirt/polo closed front cover garment. Is this an issue for IDPA?

I plan to use a Glock 19 with Ameriglow CAP or Spaulding sights as I like the Trijicon HD sights I have on my 23 and 9mm ammo is cheaper as I run down my 40 supply. I plan on using the Whitehat holster unless there is a significant issue as I prefer to stay close to what I carry daily. What I don't have a clue about is what mag carriers to use that would be decent for IDPA and maybe USPSA later but that also may work OK for concealed carry without printing. Does anyone use IWB mag carrier in IDPA? If so what and how do you like it?

Is it better to change to OWB belt holster like an Unkle Mikes kydex holster I have instead of the hybrid or all kydex IWB holsters I also have?

As the gear suggests I am not looking to be super competitive nor would I be as a novice but I do want to get gear that I can and may likely use daily and not be super slow and cumbersome in IDPA use too.
    The T-Shirt/Polo cover garment is fine. The only requirement is that you can't see the gun/mags when holding your arms out. Do make sure when you pull up your concealment that you don't get your support hand close to the muzzle. Also make sure you can holster the gun without assistance from your support hand. But no local club is going to prohibit you from shooting for the first couple times if you don't have the right kind of concealment or equipment as long as it is safe. However, make sure the holster is a strong side holster (IWB/OWB) which holds the gun so that the trigger is centered or behind a plumb line from your armpit. For a cheap double mag pouch look at the blackhawk series: https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Dou.../dp/B004T0YSBO.

Most people use OWB holsters. However, lately I have been running a Comp-Tac IWB Kydex that is just as fast as the OWB version IMO. http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-w...r-10217?page=2

I don't have any experience with IWB mag carriers, but I never see them used.
    Enjoy and be safe our there.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Do you still have your duty gear? That is perfectly and specifically legal in IDPA if you wanted to wear that.
    I do still have it but as I stated above it isn't my way to carry anymore since I retired and I kind of feel it is cheating myself and others since I always carry concealed in plain clothes now.

I do still have it but as I stated above it isn't my way to carry anymore since I retired and I kind of feel it is cheating myself and others since I always carry concealed in plain clothes now.
    I wouldn't see it as cheating at all. The first match or two is all about learning the flow of things, calls from safety officers, procedures etc. Give yourself a chance to look around at what gear the other kids are playing with. Your iwb would likely be fine also if you can reholster single handed. As others have said, be careful about sweeping your hand as you pull up the cover garment. I've seen that a lot with iwb users. Welcome to IDPA! It's a fun game!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

You could use the mag holders if your existing one is not up to your standard, else don't worry about it and you're good to go.

Just remember, all real men know there are no nonthreats in IDPA, just threats that haven't revealed themselves!
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 03-29-2017 at 12:09 PM.

It will be a learning curve for sure. I take to the logical rules quickly and easily as I have autocrossed and done club racing in SCCA in several classes. It is the odd or somewhat less obviously logical rules that I have struggled getting down with during the adjustment. I get that most are present for safety or fairness for all competitors but when trying to work a problem and the rules seem somewhat counter to it then it is easier to screw up. AN example is dropping and not retrieving a mag that has 1 or 2 unspent rounds in it. I get that a defensive shooting may require every round available but looking at it logically that is an extremely unlikely circumstance and slows continued engagement of threats(targets). This combined with 10 round limit for guns and locales that legally allow full capacity is a bit foreign to my thinking. I get the fair and equal rules but for practicing defensive shooting competition it seems a little odd. No group or rule set is ever going to be perfect for fairness and realism so I will adapt.

The IWB hybrid holsters I have allow for easy one hand reholstering so that should be good. I have always exagerated my cover garment clearing during the draw coming almost to my chin. It isn't pretty or fast/efficient but is pretty solid and safe. I do expect to alter that some as I learn and progress. I only recently started to add in a timer for training/practice and video will come so I know I will have plenty of things to change for better efficiency but that for me is the fun of competition. I don't ever expect to be the fastest just the best I can be with my regular or very close to regular equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?
    Name:  IMG_1291.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  41.8 KB

From left to right: Illegal, modified with duct tape so now legal and legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread, but let's reserve the jokes for the joke thread.
    Read most recent post on legal/illegal mags ... struggling ... struggling ...
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

IDPA is defensive "themed", not defensive practice or training. The rules are extremely unrealistic and often illogical, just go out and see how you do from a fundamentals perspective
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

i shoot IDPA every month (normally 2 matches) and derive several benefits from it: fun day shooting with shooters that have become friends, increase my confidence in my and my gun's abilities, and improve my proficiency. be safe, have fun, be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Read most recent post on legal/illegal mags ... struggling ... struggling ...
    It certainly wasn't meant to be a joke. Sorry.

People wanted info on IDPA equipment and I honestly provided it.

User Tag List