Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA gear help

Thanks for the replies gents. I probably should have clarified that I am a retired LEO who was a Firearms instructor and Rangemaster. I have carried concealed IWB for over 25 years at the 3 3:30 position and have a bunch of holsters to choose from already. I only have the OEM Glock belt magazine pouch which is pretty sticky/stiff to draw from so buying 2 better mag pouches is on the agenda before the first match. I have done a bunch of shooting schools (approx 15-20) and never had any issues or comments on safe gun handling. None of this is meant to brag or put me in anything but a new competitor status just explain I should be ok with safe gun handling practices. I expect I will need to be more aware of the IDPA rules as I don't have the cover,tactical engagement,reload location and type of things very engrained as I always practiced leaving a mag with a bullet or 2 on the ground not retaining them which I believe is a no no in IDPA. I am not looking to get the best competitive gear so much as use the gear I have already which is most practical and competitive while closely resembling my everyday carry gear. I thought about competing in the first match or 2 using my duty belt and mag pouches etc.. as that is what I am most practiced and skilled with but I feel it is not true to my retired status nor my daily carry profile.

Please feel free to check out my training journal in that section( Octagon's journey to meh) for my current practices,dryfire and such. I gladly appreciate feedback and suggestions on what to change or keep working on.

https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tac...stol-mag-pouch

These are the ones I use. Easy on easy off and mags come out only when you want them to.

We have some folks drawing from under a T-shirt so I don't see a problem there.

I do too, but then I shoot with the maker. I still have some of his first design which was banned along with the bathwater containing the Safariland spring clamp.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I do too, but then I shoot with the maker. I still have some of his first design which was banned along with the bathwater containing the Safariland spring clamp.
    I ran a strip of Duct Tape down the front of those and ran them in sanctioned matches as a protest. I still have some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I ran a strip of Duct Tape down the front of those and ran them in sanctioned matches as a protest. I still have some of them.
    Cardboard off an ammo box and a rubber band on mine.
    He said it was ironic, that the wrap design is faster and less secure than the "claw" type that did not meet IDPA specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Cardboard off an ammo box and a rubber band on mine.
    He said it was ironic, that the wrap design is faster and less secure than the "claw" type that did not meet IDPA specs.

Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?

To the OP,

re: banned gear, my local clubs would never stop a first-time shooter from using illegal equipment provide that it was safe. and met the spirit of the rules.

re: mag pouches, how did you get through 15-20 schools with only the stock Glock pouch(es)?

re: schools vs matches, performing safely at classes is generally a lot easier than at matches. The line is typically clearly defined, as is the drill. In a match the line moves with you, shooters can easily get themselves turned around, and you have to think on your feet and shoot at the same time. Which isn't to say that you're not capable of these things, but I think most experienced competition shooters don't give much weight to gun school certificates for those reasons, and I'd probably just keep that to myself in the future.

In addition to the Ready Tac I love the Kytex Shooting Gear pouches for easy-on/off. For threaded the CCC BMC is the way to go.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

[QUOTE=rob_s;583155]Wait, I've been away from IDPA for quite some time. There's a version of the Ready Tactical pouches that's "illegal"? I've been using their pouches forever and probably have well over a dozen. If I was to go shoot a match today, those are the pouches I'd be using. Which ones are "illegal"?

I do not have a picture of the "claw" type mag carrier.
    If yours look like the ones for sale at CPWSA you are good anywhere.
    https://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tac...gn=raslrelated

We hear a lot about carry vs competition gear. Chris was very proud that Condoleezza Rice's State Department Security bodyguards wore Ready Tac.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    To the OP,

re: banned gear, my local clubs would never stop a first-time shooter from using illegal equipment provide that it was safe. and met the spirit of the rules.

Good to know

re: mag pouches, how did you get through 15-20 schools with only the stock Glock pouch(es)?

I didn't have any other type of concealed mag pouches but most of the schools I went through I used my duty gear so I had dual mag Safariland mag pouch on a Sam Brown belt and used level 2 security holster all open carry style like I was on duty.

re: schools vs matches, performing safely at classes is generally a lot easier than at matches. The line is typically clearly defined, as is the drill. In a match the line moves with you, shooters can easily get themselves turned around, and you have to think on your feet and shoot at the same time. Which isn't to say that you're not capable of these things, but I think most experienced competition shooters don't give much weight to gun school certificates for those reasons, and I'd probably just keep that to myself in the future.

Fair point. Like I said I wasn't try to brag just clarify that I have practiced good/safe gun handling for 25+ years including schools and fired multiple target,multiple position movement and varied shooting position courses with time limits just not as carefully ruled as IDPA nor with fastest time being so critical to score rather than performing under a specified time limit. I didn't want the replies to get bogged down with advice for someone who only has had a concealed carry course or less getting started in IDPA.

No harm no foul I appreciate the advice.

Do you still have your duty gear? That is perfectly and specifically legal in IDPA if you wanted to wear that.

User Tag List