Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA gear help

IDPA gear help

I am looking to get into IDPA and had a few questions about gear. I normally wear a Whitehat hybrid holster (similar to Crossbreed) worn at 3-3:30 position and carry a Glock 23. I iften don't carry a spare magazine since leaving a major metropolitan and high crime area for rural farm country. When I did carry a spare mag I used the factory Glock mag pouch which held the mag very securely and close to the body(OWB) but is pretty slow to draw the mag because it has so much drag and rides pretty high on the magazine. I also have an all kydex MTAC IWB tuckable holster that I used for awhile but it wore my clothing until there was a hole so I don't use it anymore for regular carry. I also carry with T shirt/polo closed front cover garment. Is this an issue for IDPA?

I plan to use a Glock 19 with Ameriglow CAP or Spaulding sights as I like the Trijicon HD sights I have on my 23 and 9mm ammo is cheaper as I run down my 40 supply. I plan on using the Whitehat holster unless there is a significant issue as I prefer to stay close to what I carry daily. What I don't have a clue about is what mag carriers to use that would be decent for IDPA and maybe USPSA later but that also may work OK for concealed carry without printing. Does anyone use IWB mag carrier in IDPA? If so what and how do you like it?

Is it better to change to OWB belt holster like an Unkle Mikes kydex holster I have instead of the hybrid or all kydex IWB holsters I also have?

As the gear suggests I am not looking to be super competitive nor would I be as a novice but I do want to get gear that I can and may likely use daily and not be super slow and cumbersome in IDPA use too.

If it were me, and I wanted to stay true to EDC I would use the same holster (IWB) you normally carry with the same shirts you normally use and then buy some low profile mag carries that could actually be used for EDC. I'm not a fan of IWB mag pouches, I really liked the kytex brand mag pouches. Concealed VERY well and we're very comfortable. Get you 2 of these and 3 mags and your set.
    i used to wannabe

If I may offer a different perspective? My suggestion would be to, instead of hoarding a bunch of gear first, just go out there and shoot some matches. As far as I can tell the gear you have is fine. You are expected to carry two spare magazines (sometimes stages mandate two reloads, that ought to be pretty rare though), but you can just toss one into a pocket.

Once you get into the game you'll have much better idea what changes you may want to make to your kit. The important part is to get out there and shoot, worry about what's optimal later.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    If I may offer a different perspective? My suggestion would be to, instead of hoarding a bunch of gear first, just go out there and shoot some matches. As far as I can tell the gear you have is fine. You are expected to carry two spare magazines (sometimes stages mandate two reloads, that ought to be pretty rare though), but you can just toss one into a pocket.

Once you get into the game you'll have much better idea what changes you may want to make to your kit. The important part is to get out there and shoot, worry about what's optimal later.

What Tony said. The only thing you need to make sure (couldn't quite tell) is that you will need to be able to carry two spare mags.

Holster sounds fine.
    Tshirt is fine.
    make sure you have two mag holders (so three mags in total).
    Make sure you wear a shirt with a closed collar/Tshirt under that the outer shirt and a hat. You will need eyes and ears and comfy shoes. You will need to help tape at every stage and not stand around.

Forget all the comp stuff concerns right now. Look up the safety rules and practice drawing/dry fire shooting/ and safely showing clear and reholstering on command.

In essence:
    You have what you need already. Just follow these two rules
    1. Practice the safety rules.
    2. Have FUN! People forget this one a whole lot.

It looks like you have a holster that you are comfortable with, although I am not familiar with that particular holster as long as it covers the trigger completely and allows for one handed re-holstering ( reinforced mouth which stays open ) I would reccomend using it along with your choice of closed front cover garment, I had my local match director try to convince me to use an IDPA shooting (shoot me) vest for concealment but I prefer to use the same equipment as my edc. I have been using CCC basic mag carriers for training, IDPA, and daily carry they have served me well for years now. http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/B...rier_p_18.html

I agree that you need to use as much of what you have and shoot some matches - truthfully it won't matter that much until you really learn the rules and learn how to train/practice.

Then decide - are you shooting as a way of proving out your EDC gear, or are you trying to win a shooting game with your buddies.

Lots of people come in with the former attitude 'practice for real life scenarios' and gradually shift into 'this is a shooting game' mode. The latter typically includes a bunch of minimally rule conforming 'go-fast' gear (vests, holsters, mag pouches, guns, loads) that they never use outside of matches. It typically doesn't include a focus on training, dry fire and live fire practice - the things that make the most difference.

BTDT
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 03-28-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    make sure you have two mag holders (so three mags in total).
    Once upon a time, after arriving to the range and putting on my gear, I discovered that my brand new, just arrived speed loader pouches didn't actually have room to wrap around my belt and close up when the speed loaders were loaded with *live* ammunition, instead of the snap caps I had used at home for test fitting. Spent the whole match digging my reloads out of my trouser pocket, which didn't reduce the amount of fun I was having at all. Pouches for reloads are nice to have but in no way absolutely mandatory.

(Yes, the pocket reloads might have hurt my score a tad. But then again, I was shooting ammunition with twice the minimum power factor to begin with... )

IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

If you want to exercise your carry rig, do so. No need to buy new gun and gear unless you move to the competitive side.

What you should do is to work on your gunhandling DRYFIRE.

Drawing a gun from under a T shirt calls for care and technique to keep from sweeping yourself.
    Holstering a gun IWB calls for care and technique to keep from sweeping yourself or others.
    All that can be practiced at home, empty gun, no match stress.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Once upon a time, after arriving to the range and putting on my gear, I discovered that my brand new, just arrived speed loader pouches didn't actually have room to wrap around my belt and close up when the speed loaders were loaded with *live* ammunition, instead of the snap caps I had used at home for test fitting. Spent the whole match digging my reloads out of my trouser pocket, which didn't reduce the amount of fun I was having at all. Pouches for reloads are nice to have but in no way absolutely mandatory.

(Yes, the pocket reloads might have hurt my score a tad. But then again, I was shooting ammunition with twice the minimum power factor to begin with... )

It definitely will slow you down. I did similar at a club USPSA match.

If you have the gear to carry a gun and mags and conceal them let thwnidpa rules, go shoot the next available match.

If you don't, buy whatever you don't already have, and only what you don't already havw, and go shoot.

User Tag List