Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work Bench

If you going to be driving out FSB pins on AR's you'll need a sturdy bench where you can set up directly over the legs or you're going to have to do the work on the floor.

I have an 10 year old Gladiator maple top work bench that's still as sturdy as the day I bought it. They're not cheap, but they are buy once cry once items.

Shop tables and workbenches pop up on craigslist that usually just need a new table top and a Uhaul to move that might be worth looking into.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I haven't used it personally, but a lot of people seem to have success with this one from Harbor Freight.
    I bought one of these about two months ago. Solid bench for the money, I paid $125 out the door, it took about an hour to assemble. The lower shelf has a "weight limit" of 200#. I'd say that's a bit optimistic. It's particleboard and slides into groves along the rails. It's not particularly sturdy, the 45-pound cast iron case of my Sunbeam transmission caused a corner of it to pull out of its groove and hang. To its credit, it did not break or collapse entirely. When I finally noticed, I pulled it back into place and reinforced it with some 2x4 wedges and about a dozen 2" drywall screws. I think it will actually hold 200-pounds now.

I've used the vise a few times for a variety of things, but it wouldn't hold up to severe duty. FYI, 1/2" diameter wood pegs fit right into the holes on the table top. Very useful for providing additional leverage when driving lay-shafts out of 50-year old transmissions.

-Rob

I've built two using the simpson strong tie kit, but went with a laminate countertop. crappy image:

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This kit can be found at Lowe's/HD:

I have one of those as well but the 2x4 Basics move around easier if they need to and just in case of moisture they're plastic.

It would take less than 30 minutes and any hardware store can cut the pieces for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    . FYI, 1/2" diameter wood pegs fit right into the holes on the table top. Very useful for providing additional leverage when driving lay-shafts out of 50-year old transmissions.
    the only issue there is that, at least in carpentry, 3/4" holes for things like hold fasts, bench dogs, etc. are the standard. and drilling out a 1/2" hole to 3/4" on an assembled bench is a non-starter for most folks.

Not a deal breaker, and until I had other benches and tools not a problem, but now I'll go over to the HF bench to do something and often forget that the dogs I have won't fit anymore.

If I had to do it over again I'd build one, but since you don't want to do that, I can recommend the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-GAW.../dp/B0046ZSX9U

This is an older pic, it's a lot messier now, but here's the overall setup:

This bench has done a lot of work on a lot of guns. Works well and doesn't break the bank.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    If I had to do it over again I'd build one, but since you don't want to do that, I can recommend the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-GAW.../dp/B0046ZSX9U

This is an older pic, it's a lot messier now, but here's the overall setup:

This bench has done a lot of work on a lot of guns. Works well and doesn't break the bank.
    Would this make a decent table for a reloading setup? Dillon 650 if that matters (does that matter?).
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Would this make a decent table for a reloading setup? Dillon 650 if that matters (does that matter?).
    Sorry, I'm not sure. I don't reload.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure. I don't reload.
    Hey, @LittleLebowski would that reloading thingy fit on that desk thingy?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I have same bench with a different top. If it's anchored or you put some a couple hundred pounds on the crossbeams on the legs or a big tool box, it's fine for reloading with a Dillon. I had a lot of issue with high primers and once I got the bench anchored it took a lot less effort to get them seated.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

If you do consider building one, I can recommend the EAA Chapter 1000 Workbench shown here: http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/tablefig.htm

The plans are for two 5ft tables. I modified them to make one 7.5ft table instead. It is very sturdy. I spent about $118 on it.

User Tag List