Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 124 grain Match and Duty Ammo Accuracy Test

9mm 124 grain Match and Duty Ammo Accuracy Test

Due to this forum's format and picture/video restrictions to post an article here requires I redo everything except the words. So instead of all that mess, here's a link to the original: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017...accuracy-test/

Site Supporter
    Thanks for your write-ups. Based on your findings I just ordered a couple varieties of the Atlanta Arms to try for myself for an upcoming class.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Thanks for your write-ups. Based on your findings I just ordered a couple varieties of the Atlanta Arms to try for myself for an upcoming class.
    My pleasure. I'd be interested in hearing of your experience with it.

Most excellent!

I notice the top three 124 gr "combat loads" beat by a small margin the average group size (what I would call "accuracy" ) of the 115 gr "match loads"...

Great work. Shared to my FB page.

I've had several conversations with Dave Sams about building a 1" 9mm 1911 ( I seek 25 yard results, he deals in 50) and he is adamant that the special order 1:32 twist KKM barrel is the way to go for 115 match. The common factory twists are better suited to 147 grain class. I'm not sure what the sweet spot is for 124 grain. Somewhere in the 20's I would guess.
    Last edited by JHC; 03-28-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Twist vodoo! There are pistols that shoot the lights out with every twist... and the 9 mm bullets are very short, so even a 147 gr is stable with a 1-32 twist. All handgun bullets in all normal calibers are "overspun" too.

I think the bullets themselves (depending on model and construction, not only weight which is a relatively minor varible) "like" this or that twist/barrel/rifling/chamber/pistol for optimum accuracy when they are overspun, since ALL 9 mm bullets are waaay "overstable" in normal twists like 1-10" or 1-16".

I don't think there is anything scientific is this, but no doubt Sams have observed lots of bullets and barrels to form an educated opinion. Some other top gunsmiths have different view, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    My pleasure. I'd be interested in hearing of your experience with it.
    I'll let you know. I picked up both Steel Challenge loads and the AMU. Gonna compare to my normal Blaser Brass "range ammo" to see if the juice is worth the squeeze for class use before ordering picking up a case.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great work. Shared to my FB page.

I've had several conversations with Dave Sams about building a 1" 9mm 1911 ( I seek 25 yard results, he deals in 50) and he is adamant that the special order 1:32 twist KKM barrel is the way to go for 115 match. The common factory twists are better suited to 147 grain class. I'm not sure what the sweet spot is for 124 grain. Somewhere in the 20's I would guess.
    Thank you!

Thanks for turning me onto KKM's unique barrels! I knew about the company and that they don't make anything for SIG, but I've got a 92G Brigadier Tactical and just learned they make a "9MM Nat’l Match AMU/Marine Corp 1-18 Twist" and "9MM Nat’l Match AMU/Marine Corp 1-32 Twist". I'll have to do some research now.

I foresee a test in my future... The stock Beretta barrel is already very accurate with their 1-10 twist. I wonder how much tighter the groups would get using one of their their fitted National Match barrels. I'm most of the way there, I've got plenty of Atlanta Arms ammo and the test pistol. Just need to find the funds for the barrel and fitting.

I'm a big fan of the Atlanta Arms Elite 147 ammo. I use that ammo for matches out of my Elite 2 & Brig Tac. Low recoil and it's very accurate. Haven't chrono'd it yet but I hope to this weekend. Atlanta Arms makes a "Premium" 147gr. ammo that isn't as expensive as their full blown Elite ammo, but it is still loaded close to the minor PF floor and has good accuracy.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    So, this past Sat I tested the 115gr Select Steel Challenge ($18.99 per 50), the 115gr Elite Steel challenge ($23.99 per 50), and the 115gr Elite Match AMU ($27.99 per 50) versus standard 115gr WWB. All shooting was done through a Gen 3 G17 with standard Glock night sights and a Magpul 17rd mag from a bag. I shot 5 10 round strings with each at a distance of 15yds at the 5.5" circles on LTT targets. Group sizes were measured using the OnTarget program. Following are my observations and crappy version of a review:

First, I'd never shot pistol from a bag before. Don't know why, but never have. It was different and try as I may, I'm not sure each string was consistent in form, i.e. bag supporting wrists versus mag base touching bag. Could be a potential for variation?

Second, factory Glock night sights and my eyes on the poorly lit indoor range left much to be desired especially at anything greater than 15yds.

Third, targets with a smaller higher contrast center may have lead to a more consistent aiming point and better results. Aim small, miss small and all.

So now that I've laid out all my excuses on to the observations. The Atlanta Arms Steel Challenge rounds were definitely softer shooting than the other rounds. The Select Steel Challenge round was in my experience not as accurate as the WWB. For me the Elite Steel Challenge was the most accurate just barely edging out the AMU round. I'm sure a better shooter and longer range may have yielded different results. For a top competitor in a match were fractions of an inch make a difference, the Atlanta Arms is probably the best bet. The results for me though were not different enough to justify the cost versus WWB for class and general practice. I may pick up another box of each to try off hand and throw my normal Blazer Brass into the mix for good measure.

I don't see moving to the Atlanta Arms in the near future though for my needs. It was very nice, but I'd rather put the difference in price towards additional ammo, range time, and training.

User Tag List