Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: M&P M2.0 range report.

Look at it from S&W's pragmatic perspective; most folks who buy their M&P9 will never shoot even 500 rounds through it .If the gun self destructed at Round #1,000 mission impossible style I doubt most lay shooters would even notice.

So when folks who do use their guns and point out legitimate quality problems ,they shrug and change nothing. Perks of being the outlier I suppose.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    ....but who'd want to buy and own a pistol that required a successful 2000 round challenge to "verify it's gtg?"
    Handgun shooters are a "low-probability" subset of the "self-responsibility" class of citizens. These Americans operate under the principle that "it's not the odds, it's the stakes".

It's true that given Farnam's Three Rules (don't go to stupid places / don't hang out with stupid people / don't do stupid things), the probability of needing to shoot our way to a different set of problems is vanishingly low. But still, we prepare. It's the stakes.

We arm ourselves. Although statistics show that the issue will almost always be resolved (one way or the other) with the rounds in the gun, we nevertheless carry one or two reloads in reserve. It is another way we, as shooters, prepare to manage low-probability events with crushing stakes.

We know that some guns have the reputation of being more reliable than others. But we have no way of knowing that this gun is reliable. With any given sidearm failure still might happen, and if it does there is a greater presumed likelihood during the first (insert a number of your choice, with 2,000 being the arbitrary default) rounds. So we pre-test reliability of the specific weapon. That doesn't guarantee a "bang" instead of a "click", but a handgun successfully tested for 2,000 rounds and subsequently reserved only for carry provides a greater comfort level than an untested weapon. It's yet a third way we manage low probability events linked to life changing stakes.

So one answer to your question is: the man who expects to use it in consequential ways.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 07-14-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Speling.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A shooting partner has been working with two of these, a 4.25 and a 5.0 inch. He's an excellent shot and a heavy competition shooter. He was quite excited at first as the guns produced regular two-inch groups, offhand, at twenty five yards. It looked as if S&W had finally solved the M&Ps issues. Well, eight hundred round into it and the groups have opened up to 4-6 inches and one of the pistols is showing peening on the front of the barrel hood, the other rattles like a can of nails. A call to S&W received the same old reply about "combat accuracy" and a refusal to acknowledge any problems. He was told he could send them back if he wanted, but likely nothing would be done is everything sounds "in spec."

You couldn't give me one of these abortions.
    Same here. This reminds me of a guy I raced mountain bikes with. He had broken something like five Trek carbon frames and Trek released a new and "improved" model. My buddy was absolutely convinced that this was finally going to be a great bike. It broke after two races.

S&W has such a solid track record of problematic guns. Why would we expect this one to be different?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I am an outlier - I like M&P 9mm Gen 1. I carry an M&P 9mm FS - only mods are with APEX Duty kit plus a Heinie rear and a Wilson fiber optic front. I shoot it regularly with never a reliability issue, I like ergonomics, it holds 17+1 and is G19 size. I have a M&P 9mm PRO with multiple thousand rounds through it with no issues that I use in IDPA competition.

I agree that the vast majority of pistols manufactured will never see 2000 rounds (99% will not???).

I suggest that this forum tends to focus on the "issues" with a brand/style/model - lately the SIG 320 will fire if dropped, the HK VP9 will discharge if beat with a hammer, Glocks throw bras into faces, and who know what will soon pop up about the new CZ.
    Last edited by ranger; 07-14-2017 at 12:02 PM.

M&P M2.0 range report.

And that's why I like Glocks: bras in my face.[emoji1]
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-14-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am an outlier - I like M&P 9mm Gen 1. I carry an M&P 9mm FS - only mods are with APEX Duty kit plus a Heinie rear and a Wilson fiber optic front. I shoot it regularly with never a reliability issue, I like ergonomics, it holds 17+1 and is G19 size. I have a M&P 9mm PRO with multiple thousand rounds through it with no issues that I use in IDPA competition.

I agree that the vast majority of pistols manufactured will never see 2000 rounds (99% will not???).

I suggest that this forum tends to focus on the "issues" with a brand/style/model - lately the SIG 320 will fire if dropped, the HK VP9 will discharge if beat with a hammer, Glocks throw bras into faces, and who know what will soon pop up about the new CZ.
    I agree, and carry the MP 9 FS, too. In fact, I have a number of them, shoot them in classes, (and in the past competitively) and I practice regularly with them. I have 2 with >20k through them, with no discernible degradation in performance. My 2.0 is running strong as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    And that's why I like Glocks: bras in my face.[emoji1]
    I was not aware of this facet. How could I have been so wrong in my purchasing???

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I was not aware of this facet. How could I have been so wrong in my purchasing???
    I still have plenty of Glocks but I keep them in the bedroom due to this habit!

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Nothing personal....but who'd want to buy and own a pistol that required a successful 2000 round challenge to "verify it's gtg?"

Just sayin'
    Not offending me. This whole experience with the 2.0 and trying to switch to 9mm has turned me off to shooting in general, honestly. It's certainly not something I wanted. Function testing new gear is expensive and time consuming, especially when it turns out to be unreliable. That said, I've had an hk usp that was a jam o matic out of the box, so no brand is 100% immune imo. Unfortunately, S&W is obviously more susceptible, at least when it comes to the M&P 9.

M&P45 M2.0

25 yards.... First three where touching and of course I pulled the 4th round.
    Very soft shooting 45.
    Name:  mm (3).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  44.2 KB Name:  M&P 45 Kramer Holster.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  62.3 KB

User Tag List