Thread: Automated 650 vs. manual 1050

Site Supporter

Automated 650 vs. manual 1050

BLUF - manual 1050 vs. mark 7 650 - what would be faster for total loading/QC time?

I enjoy reloading, but for me it's a means-to-an-end (shooting). Given this, the faster I can load quality ammo, the more time I can spend with my wife, personal life, and taking care of school. I only reload 9mm, brass is range-pick up. I don't have the funds to invest in a 1050 AND automation.

Currently I'm pushing 500 or so rounds an hour without any effort on the 650xl, and case-gauge every round with a hundo. Automating with a Mark 7 would mean keeping the machine supplies fed, a much higher cyclic speed, and visual confirmation of powder charges with QC after a run. Lowest speed it can be set is about 900 rounds an hour, so near manual rated 1050 speeds - can get it past 2000 rounds an hour too.

The catch to this is I don't have a powder check die, the bullet feeder die occupies that space instead. The way around this is selling my Mr. Bullet Feeder and obtaining a GSI bullet feeder, and wiring a powder checker into the automation. Moving to a GSI would allow for all the sensors to monitor and stop all operations if something is awry and let me do QC with confidence with the machine in operation, after things have been vetted and dialed in.

The other option I can see is moving over to the 1050 and manually operate, I can feasibly be around 900-1000 rounds an hour or more. I'd still have to QC after running the machine, but would be running faster than a 650 with a bullet feeder. I wouldn't be stopped from crimped primer pockets, but I don't know if it would be any faster in the long run to go this path or not. Automation is a ways down the road, if ever.

Any insight from those that have moved from 650 to 1050, or have moved from 1050 to automated 1050?

#Dillon650

#Dillon1050
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Given your choices, I'd pick the automation any day of the week. It's very nice being able to crank out a lot of ammo (~2k rounds) and then not touch the press again for a couple weeks. All without getting a sore elbow/shoulder. Buying an automated press is one of the best shooting related decisions I've ever made.

I can't see anyone sustaining 1000rph manually for any length of time. If crimped primers give you trouble, I'd buy the bolt on swage thing and pre-process brass or just sort it out. I don't use a powder check die fwiw.

What to you expect your monthly loading requirement to be, after you become more efficient at loading?

I see some people starting to automate their 650's, but I just don't see how that is a great plan.

Also, how is your health as well as the condition of your arms/elbows?

Sustained throughput is about avoiding issues. The built-in swaging and priming to a configurable depth are key 1050 features for me.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    What to you expect your monthly loading requirement to be, after you become more efficient at loading?
    Sustained throughput is about avoiding issues. The built-in swaging and priming to a configurable depth are key 1050 features for me.
    Monthly I'd like to be over 2000 - but I also cast/coat bullets myself, so total time invested is a lot more already up front.

Absolutely agree on avoiding issues - which is why my brain is having me go "dude - you sure?"

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Monthly I'd like to be over 2000 - but I also cast/coat bullets myself, so total time invested is a lot more already up front.

Absolutely agree on avoiding issues - which is why my brain is having me go "dude - you sure?"
    If it was me I'd go with a 1050 and re-assess automation at some point in the future.

Why are you casting your own Bullets if your worried about ramping up production time? Sherious question, no snark good sir.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    If it was me I'd go with a 1050 and re-assess automation at some point in the future.
    Interesting given your affinity for automation. After loading ~20k on a 550 in a year, I couldn't stand the thought of pulling the handle anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Interesting given your affinity for automation. After loading ~20k on a 550 in a year, I couldn't stand the thought of pulling the handle anymore.
    I think people assume you buy a 1050 and throw a mark 7 at it and Bullets just appear like clockwork lol. I'd wager he means to run the press and get it set up, fix the small things, tune it so you can pull the handle as fast as you can and it just run. Then add the autodrive and restart that whole process.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter

Automated 650 vs. manual 1050

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Why are you casting your own Bullets if your worried about ramping up production time? Sherious question, no snark good sir.
    Limited budget, and I've had a 5 gallon bucket of lead ingots I made years ago sitting in the garage. Worked out to about 30k bullets by weight.

It's be much faster to buy premade, but I have enough money saved for powder and a box of primers as needed this way.

Funds for improvements to equipment come before supplies for me, as tools are a lifelong investment -supplies are temporary at best.

At the same point I'm opening my stockpile of rifle ammo to fund this difference, and am beginning to save brass in calibers I don't reload in order to purchase supplies/rig belt/etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 03-26-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think people assume you buy a 1050 and throw a mark 7 at it and Bullets just appear like clockwork lol. I'd wager he means to run the press and get it set up, fix the small things, tune it so you can pull the handle as fast as you can and it just run. Then add the autodrive and restart that whole process.
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. 20K / year on a 1050 especially with a Mr. Bullet Feeder isn't that bad and the 1050 can potentially run cleaner than the 650 with the swager, primer depth contgrol and doign the 'work' ont he downstroke.

Automation has a lot of interesting new complexity, even if you are good at the manual process. Get good. Get really good. Then automate.

User Tag List