Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farrant-style grips

Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I think the only way to stay "back" is to only post and read the revolver section.

Two options that I use currently for stocks are both expensive. Nill's are simply a favorite and of course Craig Spegel. For a cheaper option, eBay is your friend for older Rogers/Safariland stocks. I have both the Nills and the Rogers on my 3" model 10's.
    Dagga Boy, R.M.E.; Revolver Matter Expert.

Back in the academy, in 1983-1984, I used Rogers Grips on my L-Frames. Shortly after starting on the streets, I switched to a too-large Model 629, a mistake that my now-gimpy right hand is still paying for. I have forgotten which grips/stocks I used on the 629, but they may well have been Rogers, too, as the factory grips were definitely too big, as an unaltered N-frame revolver, even with slim grips, does not let me get enough finger on the trigger, if the grip frame is properly centered in the web of my hand. The resulting "h" grasp is less than optimal for joint health.

Upon reaching one year of sworn service, and therefore able to carry auto-pistols, I switched to 9mm HK P7 pistols, for about half a year, partly to let my right hand heal. I then reverted to revolvers, a Model 58 .41 Mag this time, with a slim trigger that was sufficiently dressed-down on the face, to allow a proper grasp if I used grips/stocks that left the back strap exposed. (I actually settled upon a super-slim Pachmayr Compact grip, that barely covered the back strap, resulting in an imperfect grasp that concentrated recoil in the base joint of my thump, and then torqued the wrist with each shot. I was still too dumb to abdicate the carrying of N-frames.)

My next really nice grips were wood Spegels, that I used on 4" round-butt Models 19 and 66 that I carried on and off the clock in the mid-Nineties; I finally admitted to myself that I have K/L-sized hands. I then let most of my S&W revolvers get away from me, when I entered a mostly-1911 phase, 1997 to 2002. I did keep a J-Snub, with rubber Uncle Mike's grips designed by Craig Spegel, and I kept my much-favored GP100, and of course I kept the Model 58. (Forgive me, but the original-style OEM grips for the GP100 and SP101 are perfect for my hands.)

My nicest wood grips on hand, at present, are a pair of Roper-style BluMagnum round-to-square K/L conversion grips, waiting to be installed on a to-be-determined grail sixgun that I have yet to acquire. I bought these through evil-bay, some number if years ago. A search engine indicates BluMagnum might still be an active business in Colorado Springs, but the site will not load.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.

That was the other set I was looking at, they would likely be more concealable.

I'll probably just order both, it's not like there is a shortage of round-butt K or L frames at the house.

I think the only way to stay "back" is to only post and read the revolver section.

Two options that I use currently for stocks are both expensive. Nill's are simply a favorite and of course Craig Spegel. For a cheaper option, eBay is your friend for older Rogers/Safariland stocks. I have both the Nills and the Rogers on my 3" model 10's.

What ever you need to do to stay back ! Glad you are here.

A thought, it may be possible to get the old out of print grips duplicated by someone with a high grade 3D printer. Theres a tremendous variety of grades and types of material they can print with, and in different densities, but Id guess that usable grips could be made.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Haven't seen any.

Keep looking, sometimes you can get lucky at gunshows or gunshops with boxes of old grips. Ebay or Gunbroker aren't going to be cheap as you've noticed.
    Junk boxes at older gun shops or shows can be rewarding if you have patience and cash.
    Here in VA, I think I have seen maybe two or three sets of Farrant stocks, all for modified K frame Smiths. I imagine they would be more plentiful on the west coast.
    I am currently looking for a decent set of Magna plainclothes square butt stocks for a really nice 64-1 S&W that I bought from a local PD retiree who was downsizing for a move. He took exceptional care of this revolver which was issued to him in the '70s and bought by him when P220s were adopted. Add an aluminum Tyler-T-grip and I will have a nearly exact copy of my last issued revolver.
    I say "nearly" because my last sixgun was a M64, but chambered in .357. This was before the M65 designation was used. I believe 750 were made marked as M64s. Mine went to the grinder after it was turned in. Still remember the serial number. D672999.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-24-2017 at 07:14 PM.

^^^ PM sent.

Those PC (PC stands for plainclothes) magnas seem a lot harder to find than regular ones. Most came on Model 10's, so you'd think there must be a gazillion of them out there. The N frame ones are like hen's teeth. I think the M58 was the last N frame with PC's. They were also on the old fixed sight 38, 44 and 45 N frame guns that pretty much vanished from the S&W catalog in the 1960's. I'll bet that most of those K frame PC grips got trashed/misplaced when cops put Pachmayrs or something similar on their Model 10's. The one's that stayed on the guns were likely beat to death, at least on one side.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The point was made during the last PFestivus that the revolver sections of gun forums (not just this one) are generally far more civilized.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCL3 View Post
    Is anyone making copies of the old Fuzzy Farrant combat grips? Can't bring myself to pay for what the originals bring.
    Hello sir my name is Jason Michael Farrant. I am the grandson of fuzzy farrant. The business was given up to a John Hurst at that time, all frames . I believe if you contact his company he might help you . I was to this day i would have been able to carry on the business as he would sen fit but i just don't have the talent he had. I remember many times helping him in his shop in West Covina, Ca.
    One of my problems in starting his business back up is most revolvers are hobbyist and most police carry the more 1911 or tactical type so the market is small to do that custom. With computers it not hane made anymore its a C n C machine now.
    I do a few 1911 with ebony and a family crest , or coca bola but all custom like he did JOHN HURST is your best bet.

User Tag List