Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farrant-style grips

Farrant-style grips

Is anyone making copies of the old Fuzzy Farrant combat grips? Can't bring myself to pay for what the originals bring.

Haven't seen any.

Keep looking, sometimes you can get lucky at gunshows or gunshops with boxes of old grips. Ebay or Gunbroker aren't going to be cheap as you've noticed.
    Last edited by LtDave; 03-26-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I wish somebody (hint- hint; paging SMEs) would do an article or post with lots of pictures of old grips/ stiocks. The only way I'd be able to afford a set of farrants would be to find a set that somebody didn't know what they were. My last set of Rogers grips I got off eBay for 20 bucks because they were just listed as N frame grips

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I wish somebody (hint- hint; paging SMEs) would do an article or post with lots of pictures of old grips/ stiocks. The only way I'd be able to afford a set of farrants would be to find a set that somebody didn't know what they were. My last set of Rogers grips I got off eBay for 20 bucks because they were just listed as N frame grips
    I guess that none of the SME's were able to help on this, so I will see if I can shed a bit of light.

The old LAPD pistol team guys who made stocks were amazing at what they did, and when they did it. What they all understood was locking a grip to a gun that perfectly aligns that firearm to the forearm, and these guns put the sights in front of the eyes when raised to eye level.....with incredible reliability. Joe Blackford and Walter Stark seemed to have gotten the ball rolling making stocks and taught Fuzzy Farrant, John Hurst and Guy Hogue the process who all did sort of their own take. Stocks were individually made. Hurst was well known for having officers come to his house to have stocks made for them to the exact fit of their hands. Compared to the hoops we jump through trying to fit our grip to the gun with semi-autos today, a HUGE revolver benefit is the ability to fit the gun to the shooter. I have a feeling that Bill Rogers grips (which I use on. Most of my true shooters and all my old duty Revolvers) were heavily influenced by the LAPD stocks.

As far as style and types. We'll do some photo reference.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Here are several Farrant stocks on some very different guns with very different roles.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

The 6.5" N frame is a 1950's Target gun. Total tack driving machine for the era. The frame has been cut in the front to allow the stocks to taper at the bottom. This was how many of the stock makers of that era preferred to do the guns. Keep in mind, these were all champion bullseye shooters and that was their game. The gun is set up for that world and style of shooting.

The 4" N frame is a Highway Patrolman. The stocks on it are unusual Farrants and show a lot of Joe Blackford influence. These are neat in that they are basically optimized for a two handed grip with he right hand, and a one handed grip for the left. Somebody was really thinking for a set of stocks on a fighting duty gun where you would optimally use both hands with the primary and only the left hand if your primary right hand was injured or occupied. Really smart stuff.

The stocks on the long frame 1965 Colt Cobra are big on the gun in photos, but AMAZING fit in the hand. They lock that little snub up with perfect sight alignment when brought to eye level. Also, when you look at the length, it looks off, but then look at the grip when carried in a old AIWB rig typical for off duty and undercover carry from the 70's and 80's.....I know, we thought AIWB was invented a couple years ago by folks who make shooting videos. It is an amazingly comfortable and concealable rig, and fast with a full grip.

This is what a typical LAPD duty set up would look like in the 60's. His is actually identical to what Malloy carried in the early seasons of ADAM 12. A 1965 6" Model 14-2 with non-cut frame Farrants. This was a shooters style of gun when cops took their abilities to be true marksman seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post

The 4" N frame is a Highway Patrolman. The stocks on it are unusual Farrants and show a lot of Joe Blackford influence. These are neat in that they are basically optimized for a two handed grip with he right hand, and a one handed grip for the left. Somebody was really thinking for a set of stocks on a fighting duty gun where you would optimally use both hands with the primary and only the left hand if your primary right hand was injured or occupied. Really smart stuff.

A question for you: Are there any current grip makers that offer that same flexibility, in your opinion? I snagged that 3" Model 10 that I showed you, and a set pf stocks such as you describe would be perfect for them. It's getting tuned right now, and then will head off to LtCol Blish for some NP3+ love.

And to echo the others, welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A question for you: Are there any current grip makers that offer that same flexibility, in your opinion? I snagged that 3" Model 10 that I showed you, and a set pf stocks such as you describe would be perfect for them. It's getting tuned right now, and then will head off to LtCol Blish for some NP3+ love.

And to echo the others, welcome back.
    I think the only way to stay "back" is to only post and read the revolver section.

Two options that I use currently for stocks are both expensive. Nill's are simply a favorite and of course Craig Spegel. For a cheaper option, eBay is your friend for older Rogers/Safariland stocks. I have both the Nills and the Rogers on my 3" model 10's.

I think it's time to spring for the Nill's. I'm going to try and have that Model 10 ready for October, and shoot it at the Roundup. That should hopefully give me time to get the stocks and JRC leather ready.

ETA: These look like they might be a good set, based on using it for concealed carry:

http://us.nill-shop.com/Replacement-...n-rounded-back
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 06-24-2017 at 09:04 AM.

User Tag List